Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning much colder - Snow showers in the East

• 24-01-2011 5:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

This is for the period Wednesday - Saturday. Increasingly cold East wind might bring harsher frost inland and snow showers to East coasts. ATM snow should not be significant and intially will be confiined to high ground. Risk of Ice developing. Very low inland night and day temperatures should be expected. This flow of air might be unstable at times leading to heavy hail and snow in the East. Quite severe minima temperatures are likely at night inland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I love a darkman 2 thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

yeah FI or what?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

gfs-1-60.png?6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh dear here we go again!
    This flow of air will be unstable at times leading to heavy hail and snow in the East. Quite severe minima temperatures are likely at night inland.

Yeah right. Is that heavy snow or just snow as in could be a few flakes on the high ground?

Define severe miniumum temps

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Didnt get a mention ME on the 7.55 on rte radio. Hopefully Darkman knows something they dont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Jean Byrne mentioned last night that the winds would turn north-easterly in a few days an that it would get colder, but there'd be no snow. As soon as I saw the wind direction, I started thinking of the IOM, but she stated it plainly.

This will be a good one to keep an eye on so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I just hope Met Eireann are correct.

I hope Darkman2 is correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I highly doubt anywhere below 200m will see anything other than A Vlight mixed wintry shower. Nothing lower than -4 850hpa coming up.

It is also unlikely there will be any precipitation around, i would suggest not to expect any snow this weekend. IMO the easterly wind will only serve to raise temps at night down the east coast.

Just seen the lowest the thickness at 500-1000hpa will get over is 540dam, you need 528 for snow at ground level. There is no hope of snow between now and friday.

• Advertisement

Jaze....

( unbuckles belt and gets of rollercoaster :( ):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looks like another cold settled week, Darkman's post refers to the 0z UKMO of course. The 06z GFS ensemble models look to have it nailed out to next weekend. Into February we have a fair scatter

t850Dublin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

winter please do not dissapoint us! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I love a darkman 2 thread!

Yep they are always the best lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Yeah, it doesn't really take much for convection to occur over the Irish sea, I'm expecting a few light rain showers with snow flurries over 300/400 meters so not very much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh dear here we go again!

Yeah right. Is that heavy snow or just snow as in could be a few flakes on the high ground?

Define severe miniumum temps

Booo:P

Take that negative skeptical attitude somewhere else please (the liverpool thread perhaps:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Science -> Weather or Rec -> Weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    I highly doubt anywhere below 200m will see anything other than A Vlight mixed wintry shower. Nothing lower than -4 850hpa coming up.

It is also unlikely there will be any precipitation around, i would suggest not to expect any snow this weekend. IMO the easterly wind will only serve to raise temps at night down the east coast.

Off to Mt. Leinster we go then BEASTERLY! ....:D

Weird tough... ME's 5 day predictive percip. run shows feck all for wednesday....

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Off to Mt. Leinster we go then BEASTERLY! ....:D

Weird tough... ME's 5 day predictive percip. run shows feck all for wednesday....

Oh no, lesson has been learned from early december lol!(confidence in 4x4 still damaged:o)

Lugnaquilla looks better for a dusting this weekend, thats it lug it is!:D

ANNOUNCEMENT: Snow hunting this weekend on lugnaquilla, bring your freezer bags!

OH Wait forget it, its unlikely that even there will see snow...sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

How about Blessington are we likely to see any snow?

• Advertisement

How about Blessington are we likely to see any snow?

Thers a 97.12% chance that you w..........

....on't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Changed OP to "might";) I think there is a good chance. Of course could be completely wrong but we'll see! Back later, must work!:D

Oh no, lesson has been learned from early december lol!(confidence in 4x4 still damaged:o)

Lugnaquilla looks better for a dusting this weekend, thats it lug it is!:D

ANNOUNCEMENT: Snow hunting this weekend on lugnaquilla, bring your freezer bags!

OH Wait forget it, its unlikely that even there will see snow...sigh

...... gladly , its the reason i booked the week from sunday onwards off ! ha :D

...... gladly , its the reason i booked the week from sunday onwards off ! ha :D

A new sport in the offing?:pac:

A new sport in the offing?:pac:

I thinks so!, we can use the extreme SNOW SENSE of the Mals to help us hunt down every single flake! :D:D:D

I thinks so!, we can use the extreme SNOW SENSE of the Mals to help us hunt down every single flake! :D:D:D

LOL

Another one is where you get the telescope and point it at a mountain to check for snow patches, although it always turns out to be a white rock:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

well even if it doesnt snow below 200m lets see if this week is a move in the right direction with Feb still to come,heres hoping anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'm confident of snow this weekend..........

............admittedly I will be in the Austrian Alps (sorry couldn't resist)!

LOL

Another one is where you get the telescope and point it at a mountain to check for snow patches, although it always turns out to be a white rock:(

I always hav my trusty bins on my window ledge for any odd sight of white that i see on the mountains ha! :)

• Advertisement

Theres actually a small patch of snow left on the top of Lugnaquilla.
    The uk forecasts on bbc24 have been following their ukmo model today and yesterday but they're not too excited.

One thing I will say is,theres not a lot of surface cold to tap into over Europe at the moment for an easterly or in a northeasterly either.
    So air from there will not have a cold last 1000ft to the surface, so that means any snow that forms up at the 850mb level will melt easily,especially over the irish sea before it gets to sea level.

Copenhagen -max around zero
    Berlin max around zero
    stockholm around zero
    Oslo around -1c to -4c for the week

Northern Britain[newcastle],the immediate source +6c down to +4c by next weekend.
    That kind of surface air advecting over us does not a snow storm make.
    Dewpoints in those cities are also mirroring the air temps so no help there as the moisture over the north and irish sea will kill that aspect of the thing.

In short I'm not terribly excited.You'd need a week of advection to pull in the cold from where it has been allowed to retreat to over the last month and thats way up to the north east and way to the east of poland.

On the positive side though,this high still could decide to sit long enough in an orientation that could deliver that but it won't be this week if at all,I think anyway.

Advertisement