Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lucid Dreaming Guide - Introduction

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Im looking everywhere for his book (apart from online) where did you get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I've been able to lucid dream from a young age. I never tried to, but I would just enter a dream and know I was dreaming. I was only able to control certain aspects of the dream, namely my own actions. Anyone else in the dream acted of its own accord. Over time (in college) I stopped dreaming completely and eventually came to realise it was because of smoking weed. I have stopped completely and am only now (after months) able to begin dreaming again. Hopefully lucidity isn't far off. Just thought this might help explain why some people might not be able to do it. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The most memorable dream I've had where I thought I was dreaming I decided I had to wake myself up.

So I went half way up a building and jumped out of the window. Suprisingly enough I hit the ground, didn't wake up and remained in the dream. Then it clicked that for some reason I had to go to the top of the building and jump off so off I went. Jumped from the top of the building and just as I hit the ground I woke up.

Felt great when I woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

have had a few, the one that I remember was really cool, i was in my front garden, and I jumped, with my hands by my sides, I kept going up, until I put my hands out to the sides, It was really awesome that I had a control over it. It didn't last long as I woke up after a brief flight. Sometimes I wake up when falling having a spaz trying to put a foot out to land. Haven't had one recently that I remember. but Heres hoping. Anyone got any ideas as to why I remember some really well and sometimes I haven't a bean ? I do have a notebook and I do write into it when I remember them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sweet16yiskah

Ok. i still can't really understand it.
    if i was awake right and i was imagining stuff then suddenly it became a dream. Would that be a lucid dream?
    and by the time it became a dream i can't control it and then i woke up..??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

I used to have them quite often as a child (though 99% of them were nightmares) but eventually it just stopped.

I was talking to a friend about it last year and he told me of a program called iDoser. It is a program that you can download that basically attempts to change the frequancy of your brainwaves to induse different states of mind.

You stick on a set of headphones with a good frequancy range before you go to bed and it plays a tone (for about 30 mins, its long but actually quite relaxing). This is supposed to change the frequancy of your brain.

There are different "doses" available to download from mood altering all the way through to drug effects (don't work...) but one that worked exeptionally well for me, almost too well, was the lucid dream. I used it once and for about 3 days all my dreams were lucid. To the point that I couldn't feel like I had a decent nights sleep due to feeling like I was awake inside the dream.

I'm not sure about the science behind it, if its actually possible to induce lucid dreaming through brainwave alteration but I believe it can be used as a sort of placebo effect to get the ball rolling.

Its worth a shot if your open minded and can allow yourself to be open to suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CareBear2008

Lucid dreams are the best thing ever. I have them almost every night.

I live out everything I'd like to do in reality, whether that's kissing a crush, flying over the ocean or meeting celebrities.

It's the most extraordinary feeling. I find this works, say you go to bed @12am, (midnight!), well set your alarm to 3am! Wake up at that time and say over in your mind that you're going to have a lucid dream in a matter of minutes. You'll be tired and groggy that you'll fall back to sleep and then it'll begin to happen (hopefully!) Again, do it at 6am too...of course do it on a night where you don't have to be up particularly early for work.

Anything can happen...you are in control of EVERYTHING! It's such a POWERFUL AND INTENSE feeling! Good luck :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I used to pick what I wanted to dream and fall asleep making it up as I went along... I dunno why I ever stopped. I used to go back to my favorite dreams too... anyone got any theories on this?

• I had my first proper one last night.

Ive had a few before where they lasted only a short time and weren't fully in my control.

Well last nights one was awesome! I started doin 100 metre long jumps down the street I was walkin down and then walked through a wall. Then I tried out flying, but was only able to get about 5-10 metres off the ground.

Thing is I dunno how I realised i was dreaming, it wasnt one of the usual ways, i just kinda realised it, then got excited and woke up, then went back asleep and back into it. Was able to relax the second time and get into it.

An amazing experience. Been buzzing about it all day.

I feel I've a lot more to come though. Im not fully in control, I kinda got into this one by accident but it was the most vivid and controlled one Ive had so far!!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

<snip>

[mod] no need to be suggesting supplements [/mod]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's good moddin, boy howdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Lucid dreams are the best thing ever. I have them almost every night.

I live out everything I'd like to do in reality, whether that's kissing a crush, flying over the ocean or meeting celebrities.

It's the most extraordinary feeling. I find this works, say you go to bed @12am, (midnight!), well set your alarm to 3am! Wake up at that time and say over in your mind that you're going to have a lucid dream in a matter of minutes. You'll be tired and groggy that you'll fall back to sleep and then it'll begin to happen (hopefully!) Again, do it at 6am too...of course do it on a night where you don't have to be up particularly early for work.

Anything can happen...you are in control of EVERYTHING! It's such a POWERFUL AND INTENSE feeling! Good luck :)

Ya big freak :) I do also; do you go astral travelling? Do you have any sleeping disorders - have narcolepsy thats why asking -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

I dream like that alot during the day and night, I tought it was just normal. Sometimes when I'm really tired I have a "nap" but I don't sleep, I can hear everything going on around me yet I dream and have alot of control over what I dream. When I was younger I shared a room with my brother, we used to pretend the springs in mattress were dream videos and we'd pick what we wanted to watch... I would actually dream about that thing.

accensi0n wrote: »
    The most memorable dream I've had where I thought I was dreaming I decided I had to wake myself up.

So I went half way up a building and jumped out of the window. Suprisingly enough I hit the ground, didn't wake up and remained in the dream. Then it clicked that for some reason I had to go to the top of the building and jump off so off I went. Jumped from the top of the building and just as I hit the ground I woke up.

Felt great when I woke up.

If i'm falling or trip in a dream, I physically move which wakes me up. my daughter was clapping in her sleep the other night.

Jesjes wrote: »
    I used to pick what I wanted to dream and fall asleep making it up as I went along... I dunno why I ever stopped. I used to go back to my favorite dreams too... anyone got any theories on this?

I had favourite dreams too, I used to dream I was in star treck. I got very into and used to love going to bed to dream about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lillybegood

Has anybody here been able to use lucidity as a way improving a nightmare?

I don't dream lucidly but I have horrendous nightmares which these days often seem to end in false awakenings, where wake violently, often screaming, in bed with my fiance (who is alarmed and tries to calm me down).

Then often elements of the nightmare start to appear in my "waking" reality - or my fiancee suddenly has no face - or there's just a bizarre and unnerving atmosphere - and I either start freaking out and wake up suddenly, or realise it was a false awakening and drag myself out of the dream.

I have never had a good experience with a false awakening - and when I realise I'm dreaming I usually have no control over the dream other than to try and force myself to wake up.

Then when I wake up I'm in bed and my fiance is asleep beside me, completely unaware of the whole thing (sometimes I have to ask him if any of it happened because my perception of reality and dreaming are so confused).

I've also had experiences with sleep paralysis and what feel like physical attacks durings paralysis, from which i proceed into a false awakening.

It's all very unpleasant.

Most people describe lucid dreaming in such pleasant terms and seem to be in control. I'm wondering if it could be a way of dealing with my sleep problems.. but at the moment most of my dreams are either unnerving or just plain horrific, so the idea of encouraging dreaming to any degree is scary.

Has anyone used lucid dreaming as a way out to combat nightmares or false awakenings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Dime101

Ive been consistently dreaming for about 3 weeks now,I can pretty much recall all of them and have them written down.I read them before sleeping and am starting to recognise a pattern.

What do you guys suggest I do next to get the lucidity going?

I dont know if the mirror reality check will work because I looked in the mirror in my dream lastnight and my head was completly split open(I could see my brains etc and I was poking them and stuff)and it didnt seem weird.

I never seem to think of doing a reality check in my dreams either.I just go with the flow.I also rarely ask myself if im dreaming and when I do I usually realise get too excited and wake up.

PLEASE HELP I WANT TO TAKE CONTROL AND DO COOL STUFF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Dime101 wrote: »
    Ive been consistently dreaming for about 3 weeks now,I can pretty much recall all of them and have them written down.I read them before sleeping and am starting to recognise a pattern.

I dont know if the mirror reality check will work because I looked in the mirror in my dream lastnight and my head was completly split open(I could see my brains etc and I was poking them and stuff)and it didnt seem weird.

I never seem to think of doing a reality check in my dreams either.I just go with the flow.I also rarely ask myself if im dreaming and when I do I usually realise get too excited and wake up.

This thread seems to be fairly dead so check out these forums:

www.ld4all.com/forum/

www.dreamviews.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Dime101 wrote: »

There are loads of books in this area. I recommend Robert Moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

Hi Lillybegood, I empathise with your situation, i've been there too.

The only way from (my experience) to positively influence a nightmare is to become proficient at lucid dreaming, and the symptoms you describe are the preliminary stages to achieving this lucidity. Sounds like a chicken and egg paradox, and it's different for everyone, but very often there's personal fear barrier when 'waking up' within dreams which needs to be overcome before you can take full control.

Remember that whatever happens in this stage of your dreaming life is all you - claim it as yours however frightening or disturbing.

Give yourself the command each night that you will awake fully within your dream. Be patient. It will happen eventually and you'll be able to change your local as easily as switching channels on a TV.

Good luck, and sweet dreams!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CelticTiger*

This "Lucid Dream" reminds me of a film with Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz, and Penelope Cruz.

What was it? ......oh yeah...Vanilla Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr Web

Hi - I searched the thread and didn’t see it mentioned, but I too had many years of Lucid Dreaming and Sleep Paralysis (lots of scary incidents, some nice) and I was very interested in the whole subject for many years.

If you too are interested in this subject - I would super-highly recommend you look for a movie called "Waking Life" - which in short (from Wikipedia) is:

"Waking Life is a digitally enhanced... film, ... released in 2001... Waking Life is about a young man in a persistent lucid-dream-like state..."

Asleep, I used to for years, be able to converse internally – like when awake – and I could even say to myself “well your clearly asleep right now”.

If you’re not sure if you’re awake or dreaming (as per movie) – “try turning a light switch on...”

I hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭alder

I had a lot of Sleep Paralysis, too. plus lucid dreams and OoBe's. there was a time i had few times per night. i connected it with time i did some drugs (xtc, thc) and with fact i had a depression episeode. a very hard/deep.
    gonna watch the movie, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Wow. I didn't even know what a lucid dream was until I read this thread. I often have lucid dreams! A few times a week. Never thought it was that uncommon, to be honest. I've been having them since I was a kid. Never tried to achieve them, obviously, as I only found out there is a term for them now.

so if u having them can u controll them ? if one induce them, thats for taking the controll. but if it just happens - how does it look ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Yeah, once you are aware that you're dreaming, you can control it. I use it to change the nature of nightmares. For instance, if I am being chased by something, I will consciously decide to let the dream play on, but I'll imagine that I have the necessary weapons/tools for escape or to beat my foe. It helped me to stop a long running sequence of nightmares.

As for what it looks like, it looks exactly how you imagine it to be! Sounds corny, but it's true.

yeah i know. been trying to controll it fully but need more experience. you know methods to extend a ld when u feel its ending ? one of those is to lie down on the ground and play dead. it should continue a ld.
    what about flying and having sex ? those two are the most desired by people. what about resolving issues ? heard people use ld's to resolve problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr Web

One thing I do remember reading and largely seemed to be the case for me too, was that you are much more likely to enter SP or a LD if you go to sleep in a supine position, (quick wiki again) ...is a position of the body: lying down with the face up, as opposed to the prone position, which is face down.

So on your back. (which is totally alien to me)

I found this excellent, although it looks more like a mass wall of text, there is some great info in there on SP

http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 LostPigeonCoo

A lot of times i know that iam in a dream, funny having that feeling in a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 middaydemon

For me, lucid dreams are prefaced by a weird, almost electrical buzzing in my chest. Most of the time this wakes me up before the lucid dream can get going properly.

Only had three so far, they've all been in locations familiar to me, and I've woken up before I've been able to manipulate things and do things I really want to (of course, first instinct is always, "All right, who can I have sex with?"). I was flying in two of them.

Reading this thread, I might give some of the induction techniques a go, see if I can make them last longer.

Advertisement