Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What race would you like to see more of in Star Trek maybe in the new Picard series?

• 01-09-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

For me it would be the Breen. Would love to see more of them. Maybe we will in the new Picard series. Are they still mysterious, are they enemies of the Federation still or are they allies now?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

AMKC wrote: »
    For me it would be the Breen. Would love to see more of them. Maybe we will in the new Picard series. Are they still mysterious, are they enemies of the Federation still or are they allies now?

I’ll take a wild guess and say you are watching deep space nine re-runs currently on this minute on one of the sky channels. Had forgotten all about the Breen until this episode mentioned them.

Borg (although very one dimensional) and Romulans would be my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

25th century Andorians.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Tholians

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

8472 and Tholians would stretch the budget, but with some imagination could look great with modern CGI.

The Breen always looked very Star Wars to me, I'm fairly sure without checking they looked like Leia's disguise from Return of the Jedi. With some modern flourishes they could look extra imposing, though as the universal translator doesn't work with them they'd be hard to give off a sense of character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'd like to see the Cardassians back in some capacity. It would be interesting to see what has happened to their society after the events of DS9. Also they are one of the best enemies in Star Trek as they are the equals of the Federation. They don't come across as cartoonish like the Romulans sometimes do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Damien360 wrote: »
    I’ll take a wild guess and say you are watching deep space nine re-runs currently on this minute on one of the sky channels. Had forgotten all about the Breen until this episode mentioned them.

Borg (although very one dimensional) and Romulans would be my favourites.

You are right although I can watch it anytime as I have the whole box set of it.

The Borg were great in TNG but then Voyager neutered them and made them look soft. Hopefully they are scary again in the new Picard series as we know we will definitely get to see some form of them in it.
    Evade wrote: »
    25th century Andorians.

Would be interesting alright. I would love to see what there 25th century ships are like.
    Slydice wrote: »

I think we seen all we needed to see of them in Voyager really and there space. hat more could you do with them really?
    Tholians

The Tholians are a good one and very like the Breen too in that there is very little known about them except that there are insect like and highly advanced.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    8472 and Tholians would stretch the budget, but with some imagination could look great with modern CGI.

The Breen always looked very Star Wars to me, I'm fairly sure without checking they looked like Leia's disguise from Return of the Jedi. With some modern flourishes they could look extra imposing, though as the universal translator doesn't work with them they'd be hard to give off a sense of character.

Maybe they have figured out how to get the uv to translate there language now as it has been over 20 years since the war with the Dominion, the Dominion could make theirs work and they surrendered to the Federation so all Starfleet would have to do is get one of them universal translators.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think we seen all we needed to see of them in Voyager really and there space. hat more could you do with them really?

I think there's a lot more light to be shed on them. So far we've only really seen a bit of them on our side, even less on theirs and it's all been confrontation loaded.

Depending on how Borged this show is, 8472, Hirogen and Unimatrix Zero all sound like they are in with a shout.

Plenty other Delta quadrant specifies too given some only got a few or only one episode.

Would be interesting alright. I would love to see what there 25th century ships are like.
    Transports and freighters aside (which I don't see the Andorians having many of) probably just like all the other Starfleet ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I'd like to know why Denobulans seemed to cease contact with the Federation some time between Archer's Enterprise and Kirk's. And I'd like to know a bit about Bolians beyond 'blue but otherwise dull version of humans'.

Andorians would be good too, particularly if we could have a descendant of Shran, played by Jeffrey Combs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Denobulans were at least a nod towards properly alien complexity that Trek has tended to shy away from: their communal polygamous lifestyle at odds with our own, that while not necessarily causing conflict gave for a different perspective.

There's a very good book, "A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" that did this really well. It's effectively set in a Federation of sorts, albeit one where humanity isn't in the top tier of races (far from it, they're very much seen as a 3rd world). What the book does really well is present a clutch of alien races who are all distinctly non-human, both in appearance, and in terms of their societal, moral structure. They're not good or bad - just different, and people live with those differences.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The Denobulans were at least a nod towards properly alien complexity that Trek has tended to shy away from: their communal polygamous lifestyle at odds with our own, that while not necessarily causing conflict gave for a different perspective.
    It's not really complex, polyamory is just their hat. It's not any different to Vulcan logic or Ferengi greed. There are polyamourous humans after all. Now if they were that race with the third gender that could have been actually interesting.

It's not really complex, polyamory is just their hat. It's not any different to Vulcan logic or Ferengi greed. There are polyamourous humans after all. Now if they were that race with the third gender that could have been actually interesting.

By Trek's standards, they were complex and not just "human attribute ramped up to 11". Their communal family / group units and generally close-proximity living sounded fascinating; there was/is scope for exploration of a race that was less individualistic as humans (without dipping too far into blatant communist, totalitarian allegories)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The 1500 metres. Jean Luke looks like he's built for the longer distances, and his slap head is quite aerodynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

The 1500 metres. Jean Luke looks like he's built for the longer distances, and his slap head is quite aerodynamic.

That explains it :eek:
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Starfleet_Academy_marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There are polyamourous humans after all. Now if they were that race with the third gender that could have been actually interesting.

you mean like the Andorians and their 4 genders?

you mean like the Andorians and their 4 genders?
    That's not something that came up in the TV series' is it? And I just realised I probably should have put sex not gender in my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I only found references to it on Memory Beta so very likely non-canon.

Stark wrote: »
    I only found references to it on Memory Beta so very likely non-canon.

Then just make it canon, or revisit the 3 gender race in Ent.

Honestly though, the Breen would be great if they did go with the whole multiple races beneath the armour thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

It's hard to pick races from the past shows as they all seemed to have their place.
    The races that were full body suits for the actors were used to great comedic effect in the Next Generation. So I suppose more of that. The Tamarians ("Darmok on the ocean") return would be a huge fan favorite.

Just trying to get my head around the multiple gender discussion above. It occurred to me that a species that could change gender would be interesting. You could have be a long duration between a change. Or a shorter one, being male while attacking, female when retreating. Or would it be the other way around since females prefer to go close in to resovle disputes. hmmm

• Advertisement

Smiles35 wrote: »
    It's hard to pick races from the past shows as they all seemed to have their place.
    The races that were full body suits for the actors were used to great comedic effect in the Next Generation. So I suppose more of that. The Tamarians ("Darmok on the ocean") return would be a huge fan favorite.

Fawk they would be great, if they were able to show that the translator could handle it, through them investigating Tamarian history and using learning AI to adapt the language.

Also they have an immediate connection with Picard and Dathon at El'Adrel

That race would be great to see again, their entire language is just memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Was also just thinking it would be great to see the Tamarians again. They were a highly advanced race too. There ship easily got the better of the Enterprise when Riker decided that the only way to get there attention was to attack them. Imagine if the Federation had of had them fighting alongside them during the Dominion war and especially against the Breen it might have helped even things up a bit. So much we do not know about them. Have they on Empire or are they just one race? How big is there space?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hellotree

I would love to see what happened with the Founders and the dominion in general. Plus the Voth, one of my favourite, one episode aliens. The 'Swarm' also, what was their deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Hellotree wrote: »
    Plus the Voth, one of my favourite, one episode aliens.

Edit: Apologies. Completely mixed up episodes there. Distant Origins. That's just my favorite episode from Voyager full stop. Only thing I'll say in my defense were the production values were so high on that episode, they packed so much in. That it seems like a two-parter when it was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm interested in seeing what they do with the Romulans. They were one of the better drawn species, especially as it went on. I don't want to see Klingons. They get overused and, despite the amount of screentime/development they got from TNG and Discovery, they are still pretty one-dimensional.

I want to see what has happened in the 20 years since TNG. Obviously change happens slowly at a societal level but it will still be interesting.

I'm also quite interested in seeing what they do with the Borg. As has been said before in other threads, Voyager totally neutered them so hopefully this will redress some of that. I don't want to see them suddenly re-emerge as the dominant threat and the series be a show about fighting off a new Borg but it could be interesting to see how these individualised Borgs evolve: Will they resent being separated, Is it the right thing to do to basically dismantle a species.

Fingers crossed for this show... Looking forward to it. I was quite jaded by Trek after Enterprise but I really enjoyed discovery and am rooting for a Pike series. Give that crew a series Goddammit!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

The Breen without a doubt - i like to take Chucks 'Breen Origin Theory' off SFDEBRIS to heart - of all the fan theories of star trek, THIS ONE is my favorite
    His theory is that the Breen are in fact the Valakians from the ENT episode 'Dear Doctor - you may recall they were dying of a genetic disorder (which Phlox ridiculously explained away as evoltion, as though a species can evolve to extinction) - anyway etc etc - birth of the prime directive, we arent giving them the cure - etc etc - cause the Menk are destined to be the dominant species - ridiculous stuff

Anyway his theory is that the Valakians managed to survive and made contact with the romulans who saved them, but at the cost that they require refrigeration suits to keep themselves alive - and then TOLD THEM that starfleet could have saved them but chose not to! They matured - devoloped advanced technology and would seek vengence on earth etc etc!

as for the Menk - they became the packleds! :D

ANYWAY... id love to know more about the Breen

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Kazon, so underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Get out. :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

I loved the dig they got later on when we found out they weren't even worth assimilating.

Advertisement