Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way for an unemployed Irishman to get work to live in England?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

L1011 wrote: »
    I have a search engine, I don't need your desperate attempts to find job ads I'll never apply for and the OP is not qualified to do.

Just admit it you haven't a clue what's happening over there in construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

I have a search engine, I don't need your desperate attempts to find job ads I'll never apply for and the OP is not qualified to do.

Unskilled Labourers in the UK are making on average £650 to £700 GBP per week (more on price work) I know that irks you for whatever reason but that's the reality.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quadrivium wrote: »
    The cost of living in the UK outside London is nowhere near as bad as Ireland which economically is basically Dublin.

I had sites in Maidenhead outside London, Bricklayers making £1100 per week and rent for a 2 bed flat in town centre was only 900 per month.

Shopping, electricity and other consumables were much cheaper than in Ireland. The UK leaves Ireland in the dust when it comes to opportunities.

If you "had sites" why did you have to ask about doing minimum wage equivalent driving jobs?

You are making all of this up.

Ok.... So UK is going to be hit with Brexit and outside the EU they're trying to stop all the outside workers and it's going to mess with jobs too.

Look at all the Brits that live away from home in say Spain..... Where are they going to return to....

People are going to have to leave the UK also.

Not really true.

The government of Ireland act will still apply to Irish people. We will still have freedom of movement as will the Brits, this legal agreement pre dates the EU.

People already living in the UK won't be removed, future immigration for the rest of the EU will be skills, points based and rightly so.

If you "had sites" why did you have to ask about doing minimum wage equivalent driving jobs?

I.already explained. I don't have to work, I have a brand new van just sitting in my drive way and a jeep. I'm bored waiting on the Masters to start so I done self employed courier work for the craic. Don't make assumptions buddy, I also have a Business Degree from the highest ranked business school in Ireland. You're just bitter and salty because unskilled labourers in the UK are earning as much, more or close to what you earn and it's killing you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I.already explained. I don't have to work, I have a brand new van just sitting in my drive way and a jeep. I'm bored waiting on the Masters to start so I done self employed courier work for the craic. Don't make assumptions buddy, I also have a Business Degree from the highest ranked business school in Ireland. You're just bitter and salty because unskilled labourers in the UK are earning as much, more or close to what you earn and it's killing you.

You'd do an effectively minimum wage, high stress job with all those qualifications and skills and sub-contractors?

Just give it up. You are making stuff up. Your post history is public, planning to buy a second hand 2016 van is not "have a brand new van" for starters.

By the way, self employed delivery drivers are not on minimum wage. The average is €800 per week up to €1100 at busy periods. You really haven't a clue about much, have you?

By the way, self employed delivery drivers are not on minimum wage. The average is €800 per week up to €1100 at busy periods. You really haven't a clue about much, have you?

€800 a week before the costs of the van. Its an entry level, low income job. Its not something someone as apparently skilled and qualified as yourself would do.

You are delusional. Give it up.

You'd do an effectively minimum wage, high stress job with all those qualifications and skills and sub-contractors?

Just give it up. You are making stuff up. Your post history is public, planning to buy a second hand 2016 van is not "have a brand new van" for starters.

You're so out of your depth it's actually hilarious. I was making well over 6 figures per year in the UK as a subbie with 7 sites. Self employed couriers can make up to €1000 per week. Please, stop, you're embarrassing yourself now.

You're so out of your depth it's actually hilarious. I was making well over 6 figures per year in the UK as a subbie with 7 sites. Self employed couriers can make up to €1000 per week. Please, stop, you're embarrassing yourself now.

The threads you posted in to ask about buying a second-hand van to go it (not the "having" a "brand new" van as you claim) give info on how limited the income actually is.

Why would you give up "six figure" in the UK for "up to" €52k?

If you're not delusional, you're trolling. Which is it?

• Advertisement

€800 a week before the costs of the van. Its an entry level, low income job. Its not something someone as apparently skilled and qualified as yourself would do.

😂 I've done worse jobs. I'm a self made man, financially secure with side businesses all over the place, online, offline. I do whatever I want, courier work wasn't a career change, it was a bit if craic meeting people, getting out of the house and keeping me busy until the Msc starts. I'm not going back in the trowel.

�� I've done worse jobs. I'm a self made man, financially secure with side businesses all over the place, online, offline. I do whatever I want, courier work wasn't a career change, it was a bit if craic meeting people, getting out of the house and keeping me busy until the Msc starts. I'm not going back in the trowel.

You're a delusional Walter Mitty asking basic level advice on here for a minimum wage equivalent job.

The threads you posted in to ask about buying a second-hand van to go it (not the "having" a "brand new" van as you claim) give info on how limited the income actually is.

Why would you give up "six figure" in the UK for "up to" €52k?

If you're not delusional, you're trolling. Which is it?

Real question, are you slow or taking the piss? I explained 5 times already, I'm starting a Masters in September and going into a totally different career out of interest. Money isn't everything, I.want to pursue my interests and Construction isn't part of that. Point remains, I'm right, you're wrong and now I'm out. Have a super weekend ðŸ‘

Real question, are you slow or taking the piss? I explained 5 times already, I'm starting a Masters in September and going into a totally different career out of interest. Money isn't everything, I.want to pursue my interests and Construction isn't part of that. Point remains, I'm right, you're wrong and now I'm out. Have a super weekend ðŸ‘

You've blustered away 5 times, at best.

You're a complete Mitty and hopefully you give that up before it comes back to bite you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there any mods to end this bull crap. ...

600 - 700 sterling for labourer job.... Oh dear lord jebus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

I live in the UK. I just left a groundskeeping job on a campsite. Light gardening etc. I was paid £500 a week. Before that I was working in a car dealership as a parts advisor for £23,000 pa. Construction pays much more and there are plenty jobs. Going into the antique trade myself, no longer need the job. Plenty money flowing here. Everybody is driving new cars. Plenty fruit picking jobs in Dundee due to EU nationals leaving, cheap living there too. The Brexit scaremongering is nonsense. Life will go on as always, just as it did after much bigger shocks than leaving a trading bloc.

As for a 3 week wait to see a doctor. Only if you want an appointment. With free at the point of use healthcare you get a lot of no-shows. I can go to my doctor any morning and wait to be seen. All doctors have moved to this to stop timewasters but of course it is reported with a scaremongering diatribe. I went on Friday and was seen in 30 minutes. It is a better system.

I live in the UK. I just left a groundskeeping job on a campsite. Light gardening etc. I was paid £500 a week. Before that I was working in a car dealership as a parts advisor for £23,000 pa. Construction pays much more and there are plenty jobs. Going into the antique trade myself, no longer need the job. Plenty money flowing here. Everybody is driving new cars. Plenty fruit picking jobs in Dundee due to EU nationals leaving, cheap living there too. The Brexit scaremongering is nonsense. Life will go on as always, just as it did after much bigger shocks than leaving a trading bloc.

As for a 3 week wait to see a doctor. Only if you want an appointment. With free at the point of use healthcare you get a lot of no-shows. I can go to my doctor any morning and wait to be seen. All doctors have moved to this to stop timewasters but of course it is reported with a scaremongering diatribe. I went on Friday and was seen in 30 minutes. It is a better system.

Sold I'm on the way.... House left, car left, wife left oh and bonus kid left.... I'm in the UK.... Where does I sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

You need decent skills, this lad has skill he makes it look like art, if you get to his level you will never go hungry...

You need decent skills, this lad has skill he makes it look like art, if you get to his level you will never go hungry...

Machine will do it faster

Sold I'm on the way.... House left, car left, wife left oh and bonus kid left.... I'm in the UK.... Where does I sign up

I used to have all that too in Galway. After family court I was left with just the debt. Came back home and am now in a 2 bed semi in a nice area with a new wife, new car and a kid on the way. 2 years here and I'm about to start my own business.

Clearly you're not in that position but it doesn't mean it cannot be done which I believe was the initial premise of this discussion. (Albeit a little late)

There is an abundance of scaremongering about Brexit, non more so than the bile filled Brexit threads I have been following on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Yes but most small operators don't have a machine.

There's no such thing as a Bricklaying machine. Also, there's a lot more to it than.just laying brick or block. Setting out, calculating quantities, planning and the skill needed for Brickwork will never be done by a machine in our life time. And yes, any half decent Bricklayers labourer will make 700 gbp per week easy, some make 1k a week.

There's no such thing as a Bricklaying machine. Also, there's a lot more to it than.just laying brick or block. Setting out, calculating quantities, planning and the skill needed for Brickwork will never be done by a machine in our life time. And yes, any half decent Bricklayers labourer will make 700 gbp per week easy, some make 1k a week.

Average construction wage is £45,900 right now so you are bang on with your numbers. Construction wages are actually rising due to a lack of immigrant workers. In 2017 average was £42,300.

I have shares in the machine

I have shares in the machine

Doubt I would invest in experimental tech. The failure rate is astronomical. A building site is too variable for a machine to lay bricks. Not in our lifetime. Have you a link to this company so I can see for myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Where are the EU Nationals heading for?

Wexford96 wrote: »

Ireland for the scratcher

Ireland for the scratcher
    lol

Wexford96 wrote: »

I'm guessing home. Poland is booming thanks to the money they earned here and in Ireland which they used to build cheap houses back home. Bought a building plot myself in Poland in 2008. Will have to see what it's worth now.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing home. Poland is booming thanks to the money they earned here and in Ireland which they used to build cheap houses back home. Bought a building plot myself in Poland in 2008. Will have to see what it's worth now.
    I had heard Poland was going well but they're avoiding a boom type scenario. Can a Polish brickie go home and make say 500 a week now?

Advertisement