Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philomena Lynott RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That’s an incredibly complex issue. Personally I would not judge anyone for that without knowing the full details. I can’t imagine she denied the existence of human beings she gave birth to.

And her losing the child she didn’t put up for adoption is a separate thing to putting children up for adoption. She wouldn’t have expected to lose him when he was relatively young (no parent expects to bury their child) and the other children were already adopted at that point. Going to the papers in an attempt to meet your birth mother isn’t a great move either, is it?

You really are being very judgemental and making all sorts of assumptions.

It's not an assumption-it's the story she told, even in VH1 behind the music. (Seems when this was brought over to the UK, they used a British VA, rather than the American one I can remember. Same script, just different VA's. But the American one's incomplete, parts 2,3 and 4, are on the youtube, but part 1 is missing).

Anyways, here's the documentary I was referencing. At the 6 minute mark, notice the 'first and only child' line.

As for going to the papers, that to me reads like the last resort of a desperate person who wants to have that connection, to learn about their deceased brother, and to learn about their father(s).

If I had been put up for adoption (or fostered) I would be desperate to have that connection with any and all siblings.
    I know Phil kept some secrets from her too-when he died, she didn't know he had a son at the age of 18. It was years later, when his friend and album cover artist Jim Fitzpatrick told her, she got a shock (child was put up for adoption). It was around the 2000s that Phil's son, MacDaragh Lambe, tracked down his mother, and then later Philomena.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/lynott-sons-joy-as-phils-family-recognise-him-26666547.html

That article also mentions how it was in 2010 or so that she acknowledged her other children.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Strumms wrote: »
    its a bit disappointing how the accusatory tone of this thread, especially in the circumstances seems to be on the verge of drowning out any notion of compassion, understanding, respect or kindness. When nobody here knew the woman or the inner machinations of her existence especially and the mindset and experiences that led her to make her choices all those years ago.

To have walked a mile in her shoes, and all that..

thank you for this comment , it was turning into a bit of a witch hunt to see who could come up with something awful about this lady, wonder what would happen if we could find out what these people did in the past, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She was a lovely woman.

Remember an interview she gave a few years ago about when she gave birth to Phil. Another mother in the ward referred to her as the mother of the n-word. She fought with this with racist ***** and the nun came in with a stick to break them up. She said wrestled the stick off the nun and beat both of them with it :D

R.I.P Philomena.

She seemed a very charismatic and engaging woman. It's easy to see where Phil got his charisma from. Very strong too, that always came across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It's not an assumption-it's the story she told, even in VH1 behind the music. (Seems when this was brought over to the UK, they used a British VA, rather than the American one I can remember. Same script, just different VA's. But the American one's incomplete, parts 2,3 and 4, are on the youtube, but part 1 is missing).

Anyways, here's the documentary I was referencing. At the 6 minute mark, notice the 'first and only child' line.

As for going to the papers, that to me reads like the last resort of a desperate person who wants to have that connection, to learn about their deceased brother, and to learn about their father(s).

If I had been put up for adoption (or fostered) I would be desperate to have that connection with any and all siblings.
    I know Phil kept some secrets from her too-when he died, she didn't know he had a son at the age of 18. It was years later, when his friend and album cover artist Jim Fitzpatrick told her, she got a shock (child was put up for adoption). It was around the 2000s that Phil's son, MacDaragh Lambe, tracked down his mother, and then later Philomena.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/lynott-sons-joy-as-phils-family-recognise-him-26666547.html

That article also mentions how it was in 2010 or so that she acknowledged her other children.

Yeah, I just wouldn’t judge her for that at all. We don’t know why she placed subsequent children up for adoption. Maybe economic reasons. She had already sent Philip to live with her parents. I have no idea what it’s like to put a child up for adoption. Maybe as a coping mechanism, some people who do so put the children out of their mind because it’s less painful that way. I think in the UK do have a right to know who their birth parents are but there’s no guarantee they will be able to establish a relationship with their biological parents. And forcing a person’s hand by going to the media is hardly fair. That’s taking advantage of Phil Lynott’s fame just as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May she rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

branie2 wrote: »
    May she rest in peace

Im not too sure when you read what the tigh's are coming up with here at the moment.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Strazdas wrote:
    Thin Lizzy were brilliant at their peak, but Phil's career had stalled by the 80s. It didn't help that rock went out of fashion for a while and the charts were totally dominated by pop.

He was a talented musician and was generous to and supportive of other up and coming musicians like the Boomtown Rats and Gary Moore. He was also a feckless and irresponsible individual in his private life particularly in regard to the abuse of drugs. He died a chronic Heroin addict and never made any attempts to reform himself.This cannot be overlooked. Yet, we decide to erect a statue on Grafton Street in his honour. They named an airport after George Best as well - another individual with great talent who also possessed deep character flaws. All this does is glorify addiction and is symbolic of the deep hypocrisy that often exists at the core of Irish society.

chicorytip wrote: »
    He was a talented musician and was generous to and supportive of other up and coming musicians like the Boomtown Rats and Gary Moore. He was also a feckless and irresponsible individual in his private life particularly in regard to the abuse of drugs. He died a chronic Heroin addict and never made any attempts to reform himself.This cannot be overlooked. Yet, we decide to erect a statue on Grafton Street in his honour. They named an airport after George Best as well - another individual with great talent who also possessed deep character flaws. All this does is glorify addiction and is symbolic of the deep hypocrisy that often exists at the core of Irish society.

No it doesn't. It was erected to commemorate his contribution to Irish music.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No it doesn't. It was erected to commemorate his contribution to Irish music.

Yes, correct. There are statues of people erected to commemorate Irish people all over this country and all over the world. For their contributions and achievements to and for the country of Ireland both historical and ongoing, for what they MEAN TO PEOPLE...

There won’t be one of these human beings who didn’t at one point or another...fûck up, make bad decisions, hurt themselves or another person even if involuntarily.

Ireland clearly meant a lot to Phil and he to a lot of Ireland and that continues to this day. Let THAT be celebrated even if you ‘dont get it’ or ‘don’t agree’ yourself. Accept it, rather then belittling it.

If you are not a fan of his, ok, but maybe a bit of gravitas and understanding might be wise, understand that both he and his music meant and STILL mean a lot to people in this country.

• Advertisement

Why are they livestreaming the funeral?

For people who can’t make it from far-flung places in time? Have you never heard of people doing that? You really seem very determined to criticise anything to do with her.

For people who can’t make it from far-flung places in time? Have you never heard of people doing that? You really seem very determined to criticise anything to do with her.

To me that's just strange. Usually if you couldn't make the funeral, you sent a card or a letter as a form of condolence.

And no, I've never heard of it being done. Barring Michael Jackson or Princess Diana's funerals.

Why are they livestreaming the funeral?

Because I'd say there would be thousands of people who would be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Many funerals are live streamed these days as a matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I had never heard of this practice until last month when a relation died at home (I live in the US). A lot of larger cathedrals now have 24 hour streaming, so the elderly and infirm can watch/ attend mass. I'm not a religious man, but I found it comforting to be able to have some small part in the send-off, I think its a good idea in this instance too

To me that's just strange. Usually if you couldn't make the funeral, you sent a card or a letter as a form of condolence.

And no, I've never heard of it being done. Barring Michael Jackson or Princess Diana's funerals.

I have. Just normal families. Lots of people have family in the Antipodes who can’t make it back at short notice. I think it’s a nice idea. It will become more common, I’m sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I have. Just normal families. Lots of people have family in the Antipodes who can’t make it back at short notice. I think it’s a nice idea. It will become more common, I’m sure.

Our local Church live streams all it's services .
    They will also provide a dvd of a funeral service if you wish to have it .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There was plans for a film a few years ago, but it never materialised

Probably not enough money on offer to cooperate.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Probably not enough money on offer to cooperate.

I remember there being lots of movies planned that didn't happen (A Jimi Hendrix one too that fell apart). The Irish Times has a decent, short article on it, from around 2004.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/us-actor-gary-dourdan-to-play-phil-lynott-in-film-about-his-life-1.1164401

I think the Sunday World did a LOT of articles about it too.

And then the movie hit the skids when Gary Dourdan (who was allegedly cast as Phil) got busted for drugs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-csi-arrest/csi-star-gary-dourdan-faces-drug-charges-idUSN2937686920080430?sp=true

I imagine that Dourdan, being the lead, was now a liability. A court case, insurance, and many other things, made the studio dicey.

But the movie stopped altogether when the remaining Thin Lizzy band members wanted the script entirely rewritten, because it was focusing too much on sensationalizing Phil's drug problems.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/lizzy-rockers-halt-hollywood-biopic-387774.html

Probably didn't help that Walk Hard came out the year before the film was axed-that movie parodied music biopics, incredibly well.

Allegedly Omero Mumba was cast as young Phil. I call bull on that tho-the Mumba siblings always hyped themselves up for phantom, non-existent projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Our media completely ignore every non mainstream act that visits Dublin. Most of them stop to get a photo at the statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bigpink wrote: »
    Was she a celebrity aswell?Was she well known for music or what

She was yeah I've seen her at a lot of gigs. Always supported young bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

There is a new documentary being made for cinema release made by Emer Reynolds, who made the excellent The Farthest.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0122/1024701-phil-lynott-story-coming-to-cinemas-in-new-documentary/

Yeah, when I saw that statue of Lynott, I went out to find some smack straight away. And I hear that teachers extol the virtues of heroin to their classes on school tours when visiting the statue.

Yeah, when I saw that statue of Lynott, I went out to find some smack straight away. And I hear that teachers extol the virtues of heroin to their classes on school tours when visiting the statue.

A flawed individual, for sure. Seems he pressurised himself to the point of destruction.

Everyone wants to be a rockstar, they forget its a business. Once you grab the audience, you gotta work yer butt off to keep em. Poor Phil gave into the pressures, and then having a family and wife to support, he dived deeper into drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

She seemed like a very decent woman, maybe too nice to take on her son about his addiction. May she Rest In Peace.

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    She seemed like a very decent woman, maybe too nice to take on her son about his addiction. May she Rest In Peace.

Apparently she wasn't told how bad it was. Like, when he got sick, she knew his schedule and just thought he was ran down. (He'd been really sick during a Thin Lizzy tour before, overworked and pushing himself too far that he got hepatitis, which meant the tour had to be delayed, and really prevented them from becoming major rockstars).
    Sadly, the band had to let her know that he was doing hard drugs, not just heavy marijuana (which she admitted to smoking as well).

She went to see him in hospital, and saw the track marks, the places in his legs, between the toes etc where he'd been injecting to hide the track marks (because if you want to wear short sleeve shirts, you don't inject in the arms).

She thought she could help him, take him home and help him recuperate... but a day or two later, Phil called for a priest to administer the last rites.

'Old Town' is one of the most confessional songs Phil ever wrote, frankly.

This boy is crackin' up
    This boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up
    This boy has broke down

Philomena said when she listens to those lyrics-it's Phil essentially saying he's not long for this world. His drug problem had worsened, and 2 years later his marriage was over, and 2 years after that, his life was quenched.

The statue was for recognition of his contribution to to Irish music. Nothing to do with drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Many funerals are live streamed these days as a matter of course.

It's streaming now

Advertisement