Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

• 09-07-2017 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have signed up for this and will be starting in the first wave. Will be my fourth and final marathon of the year.

They tweeted two days ago that there's less than 2,000 spots left. Anyone know how many spaces are open this year? Will it break the 20,000 mark? Is it the fourth biggest marathon in Europe now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Last I saw, there was 1,000 spots left. I expect a sold out announcement by midweek. Fair dues to them. I've done it the past two years, but I'm giving it a miss in favour of Berlin a month earlier this year. Both times, it was very well organised with amazing support. If you're on the fence, I highly recommend (the event, the pains of a marathon less so... :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭ooter

Last year was the first time it sold out and this year it's going to sell out almost 2 months sooner than it did last year, the move to Sunday has been a huge success.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeh, the move to Sunday was fantastic. Waking up the following day and being able to have a lie-in.... :)

Great with that respect for locals, the fact that it's not a public holiday abroad on the Monday must have been so off putting for people flying in from abroad and even for folks up north.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Signed up today. I'm probably OK in terms of my training right now so I can jump onto a training plan. Running twice during week and up to 8 miles on Sunday.

Going to add 2 miles into the midweek schedule and go out Tues, Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

even less entries left now....the team of 50 pacers have just entered...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Looking forward to the FB comments when it sells out.

Personal fav is the "but I raised money for charity already."

Dublin marathon have been superb in keeping people updated.

Should be a great race given the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Have signed up for this and will be starting in the first wave. Will be my fourth and final marathon of the year.

They tweeted two days ago that there's less than 2,000 spots left. Anyone know how many spaces are open this year? Will it break the 20,000 mark? Is it the fourth biggest marathon in Europe now?

That's an incredible jump in numbers. I doubt it would be top 4. Some big ones out there. London, Berlin, Paris, Rotterdam, Frankfurt, Vienna, Barcelona????

Ones that mix Full and Half make it harder sometimes to count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

<500 places left

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Itziger wrote: »
    That's an incredible jump in numbers. I doubt it would be top 4. Some big ones out there. London, Berlin, Paris, Rotterdam, Frankfurt, Vienna, Barcelona????

Ones that mix Full and Half make it harder sometimes to count.

London, Berlin, Paris are all bigger

Rotterdam about 13,000 in the marathon
    Frankfurt 15,000
    Barcelona 16,000
    Vienna somewhere around there

but add in the other races and the others would be bigger events

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

RayCun wrote: »
    London, Berlin, Paris are all bigger

Rotterdam about 13,000 in the marathon
    Frankfurt 15,000
    Barcelona 16,000
    Vienna somewhere around there

but add in the other races and the others would be bigger events

Yeah, I did a bit of research after posting and was surprised at some of the numbers. Watch out for Valencia, growing by the year, kinda similar to Dublin. I'd be interested in seeing the difference between numbers registered, starters and finishers.

So, is Dublin cut off 20,000?

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Yeah, I did a bit of research after posting and was surprised at some of the numbers. Watch out for Valencia, growing by the year, kinda similar to Dublin. I'd be interested in seeing the difference between numbers registered, starters and finishers.

So, is Dublin cut off 20,000?

yeah, 20k afaik

probably about 17k starting, I suppose the further away the entry closes, the more likely it is that people's plans will change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Djoucer wrote: »
    Looking forward to the FB comments when it sells out
    People have had plenty of warning, I've said it to someone I know a couple of times and guaranteed they'll still miss the cut off.

That said I've just searched my inbox for my confirmation email to be sure I'd definitely entered. I'm looking forward to it at this stage despite my training being a lot lower than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Decided not to do it this year after doing it the last few years. Just wanted to work on other stuff instead of committing to a block of marathon training. Still though....as the deadline looms large....I'm starting to get real pangs of nostalgia and regret...I think it's best if I turn off the internet till they close it off :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Gillo wrote: »
    People have had plenty of warning, I've said it to someone I know a couple of times and guaranteed they'll still miss the cut off.

That said I've just searched my inbox for my confirmation email to be sure I'd definitely entered. I'm looking forward to it at this stage despite my training being a lot lower than last year.

Can you remind me who the confirmation email was from? I'm having trouble finding mine. 99.9999999% sure I did register!

It's ok, found it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

kin9pin wrote: »

Can you remind me who the confirmation email was from? I'm having trouble finding mine. 99.9999999% sure I did register!

It's ok, found it :)

Just in case anyone else panics confirmation@eventmaster.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

is the course the same as 2014 or have they made any changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

El Caballo wrote: »
    is the course the same as 2014 or have they made any changes?

There were a few minor changes made in 2015, and they've been kept since. Up Manor St. and sideways into the park rather than just all the way up Chesterfield, but then a straighter finish to Merrion St. from Merrion Road.

Well described here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97463033&postcount=6885

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Only 150 entries left and they expect it to sell out today, according to FB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Down to 250 places, apparently.

https://twitter.com/dublinmarathon/status/884867102338940929

My second go at it this year. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sold out

• Advertisement

and the timer starts... now!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I can't believe I missed it! It's definitely sold out? And I've raised all this money for.....

nah only kidding. I entered months ago. Roll on October :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Selling out 3 and a half months early is fairly good going. The move to a Sunday and a well organised day is working well for the event. Looking forward to first Dublin marathon and first full race series this year. Should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

109 days to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭ooter

Jaysus it wasn't that long ago you could register in October without any bother, just shows how popular the event has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

109 days to go :D

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

ooter wrote: »
    Jaysus it wasn't that long ago you could register in October without any bother, just shows how popular the event has become.

Hi all, I'm looking for an entry for DCM 2017 if anyone has any going......

Sorry..joke....not serious.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Are they taking entries on the day?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Are they taking entries on the day?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

On Facebook as sold out. Had been well notified that it would sell out so no one should have any complaints.

On a side note how big can they safely make this ?

Advertisement