Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you still using turf?

191011121315»

Comments

jem wrote: »
    By any chance is the amount of peat for grow bags etc that is being shipped out of the country every day and also being sold so the nice people in nice houses can have their nice flowers doing more damage to the bogs than locals cuting turf for the fire.
    Somehow I would sugest the former is far more damaging than the latter
    It doesn't seem to be.
    http://www.ipcc.ie/a-to-z-peatlands/peatland-action-plan/over-exploitation-of-peatlands-for-peat/
    Both activities are damaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Graysen Chubby Spice

By any chance is the amount of peat for grow bags etc that is being shipped out of the country every day and also being sold so the nice people in nice houses can have their nice flowers doing more damage to the bogs than locals cuting turf for the fire.

Not any longer, but it was a major contributor to habitat loss. However, degrees of culpability doesn't negate blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Those that are going to be affected, say under fifties, aren't taking climate change serious so why should I (over 65) The turf stove will be kept here.
    Majority of people are not taking CC serious, I'm afraid we ye are heading into a dark hole

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wrangler wrote: »
    Those that are going to be affected, say under fifties, aren't taking climate change serious so why should I (over 65) The turf stove will be kept here.
    Majority of people are not taking CC serious, I'm afraid we ye are heading into a dark hole

here too. Buying coal or using electricity is financially impossible for many of us older folk.

weary of folk trying to guilt trip others.. I no longer drive a car, or fly, or many other "bad" things... and as for the bogs becoming some kind of sacred relic? They are there for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Graces7 wrote: »
    and as for the bogs becoming some kind of sacred relic? They are there for us.

You could say that about the rainforests, overfished seas, etc. They're not only there for us.

• Advertisement

You could say that about the rainforests, overfished seas, etc. They're not only there for us.

Exactly. Burn away at the turf but take action against things like products containing palm oil because it impacts on an ecology elsewhere. The hypocrisy of people is amazing. Maybe pensioners and the less well off who have no access to a turf bog should be given cheap turf, as they'll freeze to death otherwise; it's what the bog is there for after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

and as for the bogs becoming some kind of sacred relic? They are there for us.

Won't someone think of the kids?

It's this exact mentality that has the world in the state that it is.

on and on and on.. Omitting the vast acreage of preserved, reserved bogs...Omitting human needs too?

PS I don;t eat fish and I do not use palm oil .. other countries matter too..

jester77 wrote: »

Your post can be read two ways!

so looking forward to the turf stove being lit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭monseiur

Ush1 wrote: »
    This is starting to sound vaguely like climate change denial.

Whatever happened to ''Global Warming'' it was all the rage a few years ago, not forgetting ''The Hole in Ozone Layer'' who, I often wonder, filled that in;)
    Today's buzz word is ''Climate Change'' It has become a form of religion to many now that they have turned away from the church and woe betide anyone who questions these climate religious zealots, to them being in any way doubtful not to mention denying what they preach is tantamount to heresy........ but this fad will pass too in the fullness of time.
    Anyone with a ounce of common sense knows that the very nature of climate is that it's continuously evolving and changing, it never ever stands still. Some small changes we may notice in our lifetime, but most take thousands of years. The great freeze now known as the 'Ice Age' did not happen overnight not did the great thaw that followed.....What caused this great freeze over 12,000 years ago and what caused it to gradually thaw ??? What caused the 'Little Ice Age' which lasted from 1350 to 1850 approx. The Little Ice Age' was preceded by the 'Medieval Warm Period'
    Cause & effect ??
    Planet earth is but a tiny speck amongst millions & trillions of planets, moons, suns etc. etc. Human activity on our planet has miniscule long term effect but our planet has within it the power to self destruct. Also there's always the remote possibility that another wayward planet or giant falling star could crash into us and wipe out life on earth as we know it or cause it to completely disintegrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

monseiur wrote: »
    not forgetting ''The Hole in Ozone Layer'' who, I often wonder, filled that in;)

We did, after we banned CFCs in the 80s. Why the winky face?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Whatever happened to ''Global Warming'' it was all the rage a few years ago, not forgetting ''The Hole in Ozone Layer'' who, I often wonder, filled that in;)
    Today's buzz word is ''Climate Change'' It has become a form of religion to many now that they have turned away from the church and woe betide anyone who questions these climate religious zealots, to them being in any way doubtful not to mention denying what they preach is tantamount to heresy........ but this fad will pass too in the fullness of time.
    Anyone with a ounce of common sense knows that the very nature of climate is that it's continuously evolving and changing, it never ever stands still. Some small changes we may notice in our lifetime, but most take thousands of years. The great freeze now known as the 'Ice Age' did not happen overnight not did the great thaw that followed.....What caused this great freeze over 12,000 years ago and what caused it to gradually thaw ??? What caused the 'Little Ice Age' which lasted from 1350 to 1850 approx. The Little Ice Age' was preceded by the 'Medieval Warm Period'
    Cause & effect ??
    Planet earth is but a tiny speck amongst millions & trillions of planets, moons, suns etc. etc. Human activity on our planet has miniscule long term effect but our planet has within it the power to self destruct. Also there's always the remote possibility that another wayward planet or giant falling star could crash into us and wipe out life on earth as we know it or cause it to completely disintegrate.

Good to see someone posting a bit of common sense for a change.
    Climate change is a bit like the homeless crisis ,its big business for those involved.

mgn wrote: »
    Good to see someone posting a bit of common sense for a change.
    Climate change is a bit like the homeless crisis ,its big business for those involved.

There is so over hyping of climate change by some, certainly. But the issue with turf cutting is habitat and species loss. This is real and measurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cause & effect ??
    The name was changed from global warming to climate change because some people were to stupid to comprehend the former. As in, it was snowing in December, therefore "global warming me bollox". And as warming global temperatures effect different places in unique ways and not just warming, it was a better all round name.

As for the little ice age, check it out on this graph. Check out where we are now.
    800px-2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

Your last analogy is like saying there's no point in giving up smoking because you could get hit by a car. The earth and people will survive climate change, but it will unnecessarily fúck things up along the way and make everything harder. And this thread is about turf, some people seem to think it's banned or something. It's not. Burn away. Just leave the tiny percentage of bogs alone that Ireland agreed (not the EU) to, because there's almost none left. It's an endangered ecosystem, it's nothing to do with carbon emissions.

There is so over hyping of climate change by some, certainly. But the issue with turf cutting is habitat and species loss. This is real and measurable.

Its okay for people who live in cities who can flick a switch and their gas boilers flares up to be on about saving bogs. I see no reason why someone who can heat their house for €250 to €300 by cutting turf instead of paying €2000 to €3000 for oil.

Its okay for people who live in cities who can flick a switch and their gas boilers flares up to be on about saving bogs. I see no reason why someone who can heat their house for €250 to €300 by cutting turf instead of paying €2000 to €3000 for oil.

That's the rub. And you are really generalising. I live in a rural area and have access to turf but have stopped digging it for ethical reasons. There are countless thousands of people who live in rural areas who no longer resort to turf for heating their homes and this includes pensioners. This is not an urban rural issue but one that centres on destruction of a unique habitat.

That's the rub. And you are really generalising. I live in a rural area and have access to turf but have stopped digging it for ethical reasons. There are countless thousands of people who live in rural areas who no longer resort to turf for heating their homes and this includes pensioners. This is not an urban rural issue but one that centres on destruction of a unique habitat.

The reason a lot of people stopped cutting turf was the price of oil came down for a few years.We will see how ethical these people will be after the budget with these carbon taxes coming in.I have a bog and i have not cut turf for years but at the end of the day i'm not going to pay carbon taxes that i don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The State as in Bord na Móna have wreaked far more damage to the bogs in this country than all the citizens put together over time. Vast acreages drained and striped. Only that most of the easily got bogs have been depleted now are they on the road to Damsacus.
    The reason a lot of people stopped cutting turf was the price of oil came down for a few years.We will see how ethical these people will be after the budget with these carbon taxes coming in.I have a bog and i have not cut turf for years but at the end of the day i'm not going to pay carbon taxes that i don't have to.

You're likely right and that'll hold true for a few. I certainly noticed in a wood opposite us a few years ago - trees were disappearing overnight. But all this requires a bit of work and Irish people are getting lazier by the year so can't see it having a huge impact.

jester77 wrote: »

Kids seem to have lost the use of their legs, them and their parents are flying and driving all over the world, if that age group ain't worried.....we'd be foolish to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Can I ask wht you hear your house with then that is ethically sourced that doesn't damage habitat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

BBC News - 'Restore UK bogs' to tackle climate change
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49074872

Its not about Ireland but the numbers are pretty staggering,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

"My" fuel this winter will if all goes well, cost under E150. I am very careful needfully. Cost matters to many of us. the difference between any comfort in winter and being constantly cold. turf it is .

You should be getting fuel allowance

"This year it will run from the 1st October 2018 to Friday 12th April 2019 .

Payments will begin in the first week of October and it will be paid on the same day as your usual pension

The Fuel Allowance payment is €22.50 a week

That is a total payment of € 630 over the 28 weeks."

If you want you can get it one lump sum of € 315 at the start another lump sum of € 315 in January

Here is the form to get the payment in two lump sums :

That CPF 1 form should be in your post office too

gctest50 wrote: »
    You should be getting fuel allowance

Thank you and yes I do. It went up last winter?

So I can be more extravagant with the turf!

If you are using coal, covers somewhat under 2 bags a week. Using turf, can heat far longer. Great ! will increase my order

and getting coal here to the dwelling is arduous. turf is in the next field,

Winter, here we come!

You're dead right, the way civil servants are running this country is unsustainable, politicians are only going to be here a short while, civil servants don't have to take responsibility for anything,
    The problems associated with burning turf will pale in significance when the mess of poor management of this country comes to a head.
    The only thing this country will do for climate change is impose Carbon Tax and unfortunately they'll take it off those least able to afford it.
    To be at what they're at, cicvil servants mst be insulated from reality and unfortunately they are pulling up the ladder after them

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

You're dead right, the way civil servants are running this country is unsustainable, politicians are only going to be here a short while, civil servants don't have to take responsibility for anything,
    The problems associated with burning turf will pale in significance when the mess of poor management of this country comes to a head.
    The only thing this country will do for climate change is impose Carbon Tax and unfortunately they'll take it off those least able to afford it.
    To be at what they're at, cicvil servants mst be insulated from reality and unfortunately they are pulling up the ladder after them

I would contend that those choosing to continue burning fossil fuels are the ones pulling the ladder up after themselves.

Advertisement