Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIS calculation & waiting time

• 04-03-2011 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Hi,

I applied for FIS at beginning Nov 2010. I have called them and they stated they are still processing Oct 2010 applications!

I had previously sent application Mid Aug 2010 but they said they never received it :mad:.

As I understand it, FIS is determined on NET income. So, when I called them last week and was told my apllication was, as yet, not processed. I asked should I send in current payslips as my net income is now less due to cut in pay, loss of Child Benefit (daughter 18 but still in full time education) and also Universal Social Charge. I was told that my rate would be determined as at time of application.

Is this correct? or can I appeal? I am struggling big time as it is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yes that is correct.FIS take your net income at the date of application.they don't assess child benefit as an income.if you wanted them to assess USC they would only pay/back date to start of January.as for an a appeal I don't think you would have a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

Under the Departments guidelines your payment will remain the same if your weekly income increases or decreases in the 52 week period of the FIS payment.

But as you have not yet actualy been assessed and are currently not receiving any payment from the Deparment , you could again contact the department and argue, for the purpose of the assesment to have your application assesed based on your current income and also ask them to amend your prior application based on the new reductions, this is possiable for them to do this, as of yet you have not actually been assessed and are still currently waiting

If you want them to assess you on a current income they will only award your claim from a current date i.e the date new charges started.op will lose around 8 weeks arrears .

They can work around this, i know people that got there back date money plus got reassessed on thier current income as they where waiting like westendgirlie on months to be assessed

That won't happen it might have in the past but they have tightened all aspects of the scheme in the past few years.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    That won't happen it might have in the past but they have tightened all aspects of the scheme in the past few years.

Well this has only happend in the last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Thanks guys,

I suppose I may aswell wait. Once received it will have to be backdated (over 4 months at todays date) so i'm nearly halfway to it being reviewed again.

But I don't know what problem there would of been sending new payslips in with current info. Not as if they have started working on my claim or anything!

Slightly off topic..... If they have such a heavy workload, isn't it about time welfare & dole offices started employing some people? Paying people to do nothing vs paying them to work. I know if it was my money which one i'd choose.

Thanks guys,

I suppose I may aswell wait. Once received it will have to be backdated (over 4 months at todays date) so i'm nearly halfway to it being reviewed again.

But I don't know what problem there would of been sending new payslips in with current info. Not as if they have started working on my claim or anything!

it's a 52 week payment starting from the first thursday after your claim is recieved.Claims are decided on as if it was done on the day it was recieved, so if there was no backlog your claim would be in payment before the changes and no changes take place.if you like give them a call and enquire about this with manager/supervisor but I am 100% certain they will either pay from november or pay from date off new deductions(6 jan).

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

In my own experience of claiming this payment, the officer will need to visit you at home to assess your situation. This will give you the opportunity to present new information, If you are entitled to any payment this will be assessed on your original information and will be backdated to that date. However, this amount will be adjusted, after your assessment, based on your new information.

bmarley wrote: »
    In my own experience of claiming this payment, the officer will need to visit you at home to assess your situation. This will give you the opportunity to present new information, If you are entitled to any payment this will be assessed on your original information and will be backdated to that date. However, this amount will be adjusted, after your assessment, based on your new information.

It wont for FIS.most other SW schemes will re-adjust but FIS dont.

An officer/inspector wont usually call to you when you apply for FIS unless you have some self employment,rental income,land owner,work for relative.there are a few other times but these are the main ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

Hi.. Just to let you know that they are currently working on the 2nd of November claims, i only rang yesterday to enquire about my own claim.
    Like you my circumstances have changed, I am on Maternity Benefit now and i wondered the same thing about sending in new information. Its been 17 weeks since they received my claim and looking like its going to be another 2 weeks or so as mine is dated the 11th Nov.

Glad to hear you dont have to send in new documentation as couldnt afford wait another 17 weeks or so.
    As for what bmarley said, I have never heard of a FIS officer going to a persons home to assess the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

yabadabado wrote: »
    It wont for FIS.most other SW schemes will re-adjust but FIS dont.

An officer/inspector wont usually call to you when you apply for FIS unless you have some self employment,rental income,land owner,work for relative.there are a few other times but these are the main ones.

Partner was self employed, sorry thought it was typical for all new FIS claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭upinthesky

anyone know what month they are on at the minute? we applied back the end of feb so im hoping it will be sorted soon
    also im on my partners claim can i ring about the claim or does it have to be him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

lisar816 wrote: »
    anyone know what month they are on at the minute? we applied back the end of feb so im hoping it will be sorted soon
    also im on my partners claim can i ring about the claim or does it have to be him?

Hey LisaR816

I applied the 11th November 2010 and i got my first payment the end of April.. Sorry i dont have better news but hope your not in a rush for it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 scoobisnacks

I rang last week and they said that they were on the second week of January....(my husband applied 23rd March....long wait ahead)

errr so im talking another 6 weeks!! thanks for letting me know anyway!!

I rang last week and they said that they were on the second week of January....(my husband applied 23rd March....long wait ahead)
    were they willin to speak to you ever though it was your parners claim i was thinking about ringing but wasnt sure if they would tak to me were not married but living together as married

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

were they willin to speak to you ever though it was your parners claim i was thinking about ringing but wasnt sure if they would tak to me were not married but living together as married
    as long as you have your partners PPSN it should be fine. ring the locall number as you may be hanging on for a while. by the way, although they might tell you how long you will be waiting, they probably wont tell you if your partner is a successsfull claimant , and definitely wont tell you how much your going to get.

Locall: 1890 92 77 70

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

The rules are clear, if you can make a case that the usual period of assessment is not reflective of your income, then you can ask for a different period to be used. If they refuse to do this, it could be successfully appealed.

Calculation of average family income

If a person is paid weekly or fortnightly, his/her weekly income is based on the weekly average of assessable earnings in the 4 week period before s/he makes a claim.

If a person is paid monthly, his/her average weekly income is worked out using weekly average assessable earnings in the 2 month period before s/he makes a claim.

If a person's spouse/civil partner/ cohabitant is self-employed, his/her income over the 12 month period before the claim is made (divided by 52) is used to work out his/her average weekly income.

However, where the above periods would not reflect a true assessment of income, a Deciding Officer or an Appeals Officer may choose a more representative period as the basis of calculation. The most recent P60 is often used to calculate the average income from employment.

I just gave them my husband's pps number. They were actually very nice on the phone...which means they're making a big effort as I can imagine the amount of irate callers...

• Advertisement

Just a quick update - I rang last week and said that I would really appreciate it if they could tell me if my claim is complete as I was finding the waiting tough and would like to make sure that it wasn't from my side (lol, reverse psychology). A really nice girl looked up my claim and said 'I'm going to take it out and give it priority, like that it will be dealt with immediately." I got a letter 2 days letter asking for one more piece of paper, I sent it off, got a phone call last Monday after asking one more question and just yesterday after I gave one last follow up call to make sure they got the information they told me that the money would be on my account next Thursday!!!!

My advice - give them a call!!!!! Be prepared to stay on hold for about 10 minutes though.....

i rang yesterday and they said it would be another two weeks before they will get to it!
    we applied 22 feb
    do you mind me asking what they wanted i sent in all the paper work the p60 2 payslips etc i just hope they don't need anything else

i rang yesterday and they said it would be another two weeks before they will get to it!
    we applied 22 feb
    do you mind me asking what they wanted i sent in all the paper work the p60 2 payslips etc i just hope they don't need anything else

They needed a more recent payslip that showed that my husband was not still paying emergency tax (he was in the first one) and also proof from SW that he was no longer my adult dependent.

We applied 23rd March...

They needed a more recent payslip that showed that my husband was not still paying emergency tax (he was in the first one) and also proof from SW that he was no longer my adult dependent.

We applied 23rd March...
    oh ok i should be ok so hope they have all they need thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I will be applying soon and was wonder if I can apply for back to school allowance while I am waiting for FIS , to get get back to school I need to be on social welfare but if the waiting times for fis are 4-5 months then I wont be able to apply in time for back to school??? Also any idea what the waiting times are like for fis in Clare??

I will be applying soon and was wonder if I can apply for back to school allowance while I am waiting for FIS , to get get back to school I need to be on social welfare but if the waiting times for fis are 4-5 months then I wont be able to apply in time for back to school??? Also any idea what the waiting times are like for fis in Clare??
    hi not sure on your btsa question there doing it differently this year
    your best bet would be to go see your community welfare officer about it and explain your situation

on the fis time you will be waiting around 4 months
    well your better of calculating it at that or you will be sick waiting i got my confirmation letter 22 feb that's the letter you get back from them saying they have received your application and they said it will be another two weeks at least anyway
    all forms are sent to the same address so doesn't matter were you live

just received my parners p60 back in the post is this normal nothing else was with it were waiting 4 months today

does this mean its being dealt with?

ok fis came today after exactly 4 months

note that you only get paid from the time you get your letter back you dont get paid for the 4 weeks previous

• I will be applying soon and was wonder if I can apply for back to school allowance while I am waiting for FIS , to get get back to school I need to be on social welfare but if the waiting times for fis are 4-5 months then I wont be able to apply in time for back to school??? Also any idea what the waiting times are like for fis in Clare??

Lord Spence, this is what you need to do.

Submit your claim for FIS to the Dept of Social Protection. Be careful to keep photocopies of your application, just in case. Give it a week or so, for that claim to be received and registered in FIS section. You can ring them in a week or two, to confirm it has been received.

(FIS applications are centrally processed in one location, is does not matter if you live in Clare, or Dublin, or Mayo... the waiting times are the same).

Then, make your application for BTSCFA. (You have until the end of September to do this).

Make a note on that application, (or attach a letter to the application) advising that you have an application for FIS pending in the Dept of Social Protection's system. It is vital that you tell them this.

You will (most likely) still be refused BTSCFA, but you will have grounds to appeal that refusal, when you are approved for FIS.

I personally know of several applicants who did this successfully last year, and were awarded BTSCFA on appeal, on the grounds that they would have qualified, only for the delay in processing FIS applications.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement