Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny shops that are no more

• 12-05-2005 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I was just thinking the other day of some of the old shops that are no more in Kilkenny. Anyone have any memories?

Anyone remember when Woolworths used to be on High Street, where Paris Texas is now. Of course it became Crottys coffee shop in the interim.

Bradbury's used to be across the road - they had nice cakes.

I can barely remember Elliots on the corner of High Street - which since became the Irish Permanent and now some betting shop.

There was the L&N on High Street...the VG on John's Green...Griffins on Rose Inn Street.

The Mascot Stores on John St was a personal favourite of mine. They had nice buns.

The Monster House on High Street before it became Supermacs. I remember being brought there to see Santa and being scared sh**less.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

mick_irl wrote:

Bradbury's used to be across the road - they had nice cakes.
    my mother worked in there when she was in school. i dont remember it at all-im far too young!

mick_irl wrote:
    There was the L&N on High Street
    the tiles on the wall behind the butcher counter are still there...now theres a useless piece of info
    mick_irl wrote:
    The Monster House on High Street before it became Supermacs
    remember the cool fish tank up the back of it?

one of my favourite shops was Dr Doolittles pet shop. also loved Dunkin' Donutzz...mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Nightwish wrote:
    the tiles on the wall behind the butcher counter are still there...now theres a useless piece of info

Whereabouts?
    Nightwish wrote:
    also loved Dunkin' Donutzz...mmmm

where was that?

the tiles are in the shop currently occupying the old L&N site-im sure u can guess where that is!
    Dunkin Donutzz was in that little shop where Soul is now-the opp side of the butterslip from the ok house.closed down about 9 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Dunkin Donuts was originally ....Barrys Veg, smallest hop in Ireland

Loved Monster Hse at xmas, new clothes
    and REAL Santa Boxes !!!

Bought my first records in Woolworths, Record player was a late purchase in our house (we poor) so was byin Heaven 17, Billy Joel etc but all 45s that were well old

Dunkin Donuts was originally ....Barrys Veg, smallest hop in Ireland

Belated Happy Birthday first of all!!!!!

I think if you take a look at the frame shop just a bit further down the street beside The Gourmet Store, you will find that it is the smallest shop in the WORLD!

Bought my first records in Woolworths, Record player was a late purchase in our house (we poor) so was byin Heaven 17, Billy Joel etc but all 45s that were well old

I can only ever remember buying Pick 'N' Mix in there and the big weighing scales that you put 2p into and stood up on it.

I used to get all my 45s in Sherwoods. My first ever album was the Double LP from the Muppet Show :p

• Advertisement

Nightwish wrote:
    the tiles are in the shop currently occupying the old L&N site-im sure u can guess where that is!
    Dunkin Donutzz was in that little shop where Soul is now-the opp side of the butterslip from the ok house.closed down about 9 years ago

Oh yeah remember it now. The doughnuts there was lovely :drool:

The woman that worked there was really nice too from what I can rememer.

As for the tiles....It's either Boots or Argos is it? Am trying to remember which shop was where on High Street...there was the L&N and Delahunty's Furniture shop beside it.

L&N is now argos
    they both "robbed the lane beside it with the big gate that the deliveries go in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Whites sweet shop on high st opposite the town hall..

Ah Whites - great shop. Used to give you penny sweets wrapped up in a newspaper cone.

Mooney's used to be beside it?

L&N is now argos
    they both "robbed the lane beside it with the big gate that the deliveries go in
    how was it "robbed"? anyway its the only way for the deliveries to get into the stockroom.boots and the arcade have full use of the lane too

• Advertisement

As far as i remember from some history project did in school its a public lane they just blocked off

ah well it goes nowhere now+its full of argos cages so i doubt the public would wanna use it

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

mick_irl wrote:
    The Monster House on High Street before it became Supermacs.

When I was young, I was walking up the stairs in the monster house. There was mirrors on the walls and I walked straight in to the wall and got a nose bleed!!

Also remember the huge fishtank....it was the only reason the mother would pursuade us to get new shoes!

Norinoco wrote:
    Also remember the huge fishtank....it was the only reason the mother would pursuade us to get new shoes!

Yeah used to be dragged to the Monster House or to the basement in Goods in August to get new school shoes.

Anyone remember that machine they had in Goods for measuring your feet? It was a big automatic thing. I used to be so scared that it would crush my feet. I'm pretty sure I cried once there cause of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I do remember that thing actually. It was quite reassuring I thought, you knew you were getting properly sized shoes. Probably early evidence of my way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

mick_irl wrote:
    Yeah used to be dragged to the Monster House or to the basement in Goods in August to get new school shoes.

Anyone remember that machine they had in Goods for measuring your feet? It was a big automatic thing. I used to be so scared that it would crush my feet. I'm pretty sure I cried once there cause of it.

It felt funny on my feet. NO FEAR!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

there was a joke shop of some kind on rose inn st. where a to z computers is now, but cant remember the name!

Griffins was there when i was a kid, toys jokes etc, expensive whours
    bought a boqie knife there, mad thing could chop ur head off with !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

there was a dunky d's in kilkenny??? their coffee is excellent. i cant remember it in kilkenny though.

i was sad to see hobo going, their threads were hanging from me on the greatest nights of my life!

also i noticed a post about walking into mirrors. do you know in the toilets in the marble city bar? my father was down there and he's walking towards the mirror, he steps aside to let the person(his reflection) past, he even gestured with his hand to the person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Anyone remember "Mikes Bar" in the arcade in high st?? that's where I met
    herself. I notice M+b's resturant is gone, Ahh.... fond memories of the 80's + 90's. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

there was a dunky d's in kilkenny??? their coffee is excellent. i cant remember it in kilkenny though.

It wasn't the chain one. It was a tiny shop that made and sold really nice doughnuts on the premesis. They didn't sell coffee at all there.

djpaul wrote:
    Anyone remember "Mikes Bar" in the arcade in high st?? that's where I met
    herself. I notice M+b's resturant is gone, Ahh.... fond memories of the 80's + 90's.

I was in that Mike's bar place once. Didn't it become the brewery bar for a while too?

That restaurant was a great hive of activity before we all got rich and started eating panini's and the like. I used to like sitting on the high stools at the window and look down at the people on High Street.

djpaul wrote:
    Anyone remember "Mikes Bar" in the arcade in high st??

Was that the old mans pub, with really scruffy curtains on the windows and lod leather benches against the walls?? They never asked for Id and sold what tasted like gone off vodka!

Maybe im thinking of another place!

Bet you all remember the old cinema???!!!!

It had the worst shop ever and the 2 old women that owned it were really strict on age. Remember getting turned away from an over 12 film and I was 11!

Remember when the queues used to be around the corner and down it high street - think it was the Titanic that I remeber the queues being insane.

Yeah that old cinema was horrible. The wimmin behind the counter were right wagons. I was turned away from Gremlins cause i looked under 12.

They used to love shining their torches around when the movie was on and who remember the big egg stain on the screen?

I was fascinated by the bubbles that were on the screen before the film started. The first time i went to the cinema there was for my 5th birthday to see the Care Bears film!

Oh the memories!

they wouldnt let me in to see men in black which was 12's, when i was 14. i remember the q's for titanic, and oddly enough, mrs doubtfire-it went down as far as supermacs. anyone know what their gonna do with the old cinema? or is it being left there to rot

Is it not an apartment block already?

I understand the pwners swapped sites withthe county council/corpo who now own it, and advertised for "creative submissions" on its s use

e.g. needleless centre for heroin users

hostel for Pioneers and the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pbmurphy1999

This is a great thread. It may be 5 years old but i just shouted out in laughter about the egg stain on the screen in the cinema, the bubbles before each movie and the old dragons that ran it. Was it the Metropole? Was the only 1 left after they closed down the Savoy i think.
    I got thrown out of that cinema during "Fletch" in 1985/86.

What a wonderful place it was in the 80's, I miss those days so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

This is a great thread. I've fond memories of the Regent.

But I do not have fond memories of how close the jacks were to the stalls. The smell sometimes was ferocious. Gotta love the double seats though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Interesting thread, nostalgia can be fun.

My memory of Kilkenny in the Eighties was a run down drab place that only started getting interesting in the mid nineties. High street had loads of gaps in it for ages.

It was so quiet that I could drive up town and often park right outside The Sports Shop, anyone remember the stuffed animals in the window?

Advertisement