Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What films/TV shows are you watching? *see mod warning, post #3*

1110111112113114116»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Watched American Crime Story - The Assassination of Gianni Versace- very well made and really enjoyed it. Macabre but entertaining, all acting etc very good and got binged after 2 episodes. Well worth a look.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm up as far as episode 5 of Tiger King, and far more intrigued by it than I ever would like to admit.

Halfway through the first Guardians of the Galaxy tonight. Dave Bautista is a barrel of laughs. Tremendous soundtrack too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Got a recommendation for Sunderland Till I Die, and it's a phenomenal documentary. I've had a stick up my butt about English football cause of the money involved, but jesus seeing those fans, I know how it feels.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've caught up with the rest of the MCU movies, and now have to move on.

My friends started a Classic Film Club to keep us entertained, and our last two movies were The Godfather and The Godfather: Part 2. I've definitely seen both before, but this time around I actually paid attention. They're both worth the hype. Pacino, Brando and De Niro play their parts to perfection, but Robert Duvall's role as consigliere Tom Hagen struck me the most. If you have 6 hours to spare any time soon, watch these.

Last night I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl for the first time since it was in the cinema back in 2003. It's actually class. :D Depp is amazing. Kiera Knightly is awesome. You have to love Orlando Bloom. Geoffrey Rush gives layers to the villain Barbossa. And the supporting cast are all picked to perfection.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

#watchHaikyuu

• Advertisement

Any fans of Normal People in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Any fans of Normal People in here?
    I've been watching it week by week and am pretty invested. Read the book last year and was a bit underwhelmed but eating up the show.

Other than that, I finished the US Office today, having never seen it before, and am coming up to the end of season 1 of The Wire. Getting through a lot of "I'll watch that someday" tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Panda_Returns

I'm the same as Jackobyte, I liked the book but it didn't blow me away. Somehow the show has rounded the characters out a bit more and I'm totally hooked. In the book I found Marianne annoying towards the end, even though I knew she came from a terrible situation. But with the show, I feel like her whole situation is portrayed in a more understandable way?

One thing that I find, that practically gives me PTSD, is the portrayal of Conall's friends in school. That rings so true for me, and I'm guessing most people, it actually makes my stomach twist even thinking of it.

I'm so glad I'm not a teenager anymore.

Finished Normal People tonight.

I felt like I could relate to Connell a lot in certain ways (I remember feeling like an outsider in college, going through spells of depression and anxiety, had relationships where I felt profoundly deeply for others but never communicated properly with them, and still had a talent for English when it came to writing) but luckily I always had friends who I could trust.

The series felt more cinematic than most TV (in a similar style to Fleabag) with wonderful use of colours, close-ups and silence. I rarely thought any of the characters were purely one-dimensional (maybe Jamie) and you could imagine their side stories would have been just as fascinating as the Marianne/Connell arc.

I hope it will be recognised as a show that helped to normalise so many topics that people find difficult to talk about. It reminded me a lot of the early days of this forum. There was honesty and frankness of just how normal and ubiquitous sex, anxiety, loneliness, depression, consent, bullying, et cetera are in our lives, whether directly or indirectly.

After that I watched "Have A Good Trip: Adventures In Psychedelics" on Netflix. It's not quite a documentary, not quite a comedy, but a rather entertaining blend of both. Some fascinating insights into the experiences (good and bad) of many different entertainers, with some of their hallucinogen anecdotes recreated in short animations. Absolute pro-drug propaganda, but worth watching anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I thought Normal People was amazing. I read the book too and really liked it at the time but was definitely more affected by the show. I think it would have done a lot for me as a teenager if a show like that was around back then.

I've gone back a few times to watch the therapy scene as well as the final scene of the series; two of the most powerful moments for me that I've ever seen on a screen.

• Advertisement

Based on some of my recent viewings (Have A Nice Trip, Midnight Cowboy) the latest "recommended" film for me on Netflix was the crazy classic Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

I don't think I've ever appreciated how good Benicio Del Toro is in this film before, even though I must have seen it 6 or 7 times already!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    #watchHaikyuu

I still haven't watched any of the Anime on Netflix. :'(

I watched season 3 of Rick and Morty again (because they'll be showing season 4 very soon) and started going through Big Mouth again (because it's amazing) and also watched the first few episodes of Disenchanted (which of course is reminiscent of the Simpsons and Futurama, but hasn't yet hooked me as much as either of its predecessors).

I also got through documentaries about Marsha P. Johnson and Nina Simone, the themes of which both proved to be extremely topical over recent weeks.

Yes, I can hear you, Clem Fandango!

Cobra Kai is one of the best things ever committed to film.

Convince me otherwise. :cool:

It's been nearly 18 years since it first aired, and probably 17 years since one of the coolest dudes on this forum referenced it in his username, but I'm finally, FINALLY seeing the "KnifeWREEEEENCH" episode of Scrubs. This show, man. It's everything.

John C. McGinley is a phenomenal actor.

Advertisement