Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

• 09-08-2017 7:40pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I know most will think this is a lot to spend on a drone although this could be used for both fun and professional requirements.

Xiaomi 4k Gearbest

The drone is solid, simple to use, quick and incredibly stable.

It records in 4K 2160p 30FPS , 1440p 60FPS & 1080p 30/50/60/100FPS.

I can't recommend this quad enough, I've flown it a few times, here's some footage from the weekend

Here's the Xiaomi Mi Drone Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

Excellent footage. Is it hard to get the hang of flying this? Or any drone in particular. I ordered one for 30€ just to get started and to practice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

AS1890 wrote: »
    Excellent footage. Is it hard to get the hang of flying this? Or any drone in particular. I ordered one for 30€ just to get started and to practice.

Cheers. No it's really simple to fly, it stays in the same position when you let go of the controls and returns to home if you fly out of range(approx 4kms). I think this drone lets you forget about flying and focus more on cool camera shots.

I'd say after an hour you'd be flying like a pro.

Best of luck with the little quad, you can see if you like drones or not. Although there would be a huge difference in the way they fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Not into drones myself but a youtuber I watch (Techtablets,com) posted a really good review of this recently for anyone looking at buying this.

It looks to be great value when you look at the price of some of the competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭userfriendly

Brush up on the law of flying drones before you go flying.

Anything over 1kg (which this drone appears to be) should be registered with the IAA, no flying beyond 300m or visual line of site etc.

Good map of airspace here: https://www.flyryte.com/airspace/

Just because it's not enforced doesn't mean it's OK to break the law, especially when you could be a risk to manned aircraft.

Yep, totally understand, I use the airmap app to let me know where's safe and stay below 120metres. I also registered on the IAA site for a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Just a heads up. That will most likely attract the attention of customs, and you will probably be asked for an extra €100 at the door.

Unless it is the EU Warehouse, which it does not seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So would you be better off buying of TomTop and pay the bit extra. I had placed it in the basket at €411 and signed up but Didn't go through with the purchase.

Tomtop then emailed me with a 4% discount off 1st purchase.

Still undecided.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    So would you be better off buying of TomTop and pay the bit extra. I had placed it in the basket at €411 and signed up but Didn't go through with the purchase.

Tomtop then emailed me with a 4% discount off 1st purchase.

Still undecided.

Yes, Tomtop is €411 (€407 if you pay in USD and use Revolut or N26). (It works out at €391 with your 4% off and paying in USD)
    There are also 300 new signup discount points (200 with New Sign up and 100 with Newsletter Subscription).
    And they will pay any customs fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Suckit wrote: »
    Yes, Tomtop is €411 (€407 if you pay in USD and use Revolut or N26). (It works out at €391 with your 4% off and paying in USD)
    There are also 300 new signup discount points (200 with New Sign up and 100 with Newsletter Subscription).
    And they will pay any customs fees.

This could finally swing my decision😉

The footage that the OP shot is class and I think the home feature is a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

I'm buying a house right by there, great footage

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote:
    Just a heads up. That will most likely attract the attention of customs, and you will probably be asked for an extra €100 at the door.

I've never paid customs with Gearbest and have ordered 5 drones now for me and friends. But I suppose there's always a risk.
    Suckit wrote:
    Unless it is the EU Warehouse, which it does not seem to be.

Yeah, they ship into the London warehouse, then it ships Ireland express. Has an Irish tracking number from the start. Takes approximately 2 weeks for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I'm usually over on Baltray beach with the dog. Never seen what the other side looks like - thanks!

tedpan wrote:
    It records in 4K 2160p 30FPS , 1440p 60FPS & 1080p 30/50/60/100FPS.

It actually records in 1440p at 60/50FPS depending whether it's set to NTSC or Pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Absolutely stunning footage..so tempted to buy this drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭digitaldr

How would this compare to a DJI phantom?

digitaldr wrote:

It depends which Phantom you're comparing with, the camera and gimbal specs are very good, probably closest to a high end Phantom 3 or a Phantom 4 Standard.

The Xiaomi does lack a few Features like follow/track mode, but for the cost, there's nothing close.

digitaldr wrote: »

The Phantom 3SE is €439 if you pay in USD, and if you get the 5% off first purchase, it is €416.
    Customs are included in the price.

Some comparisons here
    http://rccamp.blogspot.ch/2017/03/why-dji-phantom-3-se-is-more-worth.html
    http://dronein.blogspot.ch/2017/03/does-dji-phantom-3-se-crush-xiaomi.html
    http://www.droneinner.com/tag/phantom-3-se-vs-xiaomi-drone-4k

https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/06/12/xiaomi-mi-drone-dji-phantom-3-se-deals-tomtop-rc-month/

Unfortunately there are not really a whole lot more comparisons, but they will start appearing. Most comparisons are for the Phantom 3 Standard vs the Xiaomi 4K.

Yeah, these reviews are good, but old, they hadn't even flown the drones in the first two reviews. There have been several firmware updates through the mi drone app. Now the max altitude and range are the same as the P3SE. They also talked about the issues with the old 1080p version and these are solved with the 4K.

Both are cool.

gustafo wrote: »
    Absolutely stunning footage..so tempted to buy this drone.

Here's some more from today. Loving this drone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Is it gone up in price ?

• Advertisement

sunny2004 wrote:
    Is it gone up in price ?

Yeah, was a one week offer. It should be on offer again soon..

sunny2004 wrote:
    Is it gone up in price ?

It's back on offer. That didn't take long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭dedaw

Operating on iPhone, or android? What device? Any issues?

Note: the protecting circle and auxiliary locator, we'll randomly choose one of them to deliver.
    any ideas what this means ? new to this..

sunny2004 wrote:
    Note: the protecting circle and auxiliary locator, we'll randomly choose one of them to deliver. any ideas what this means ? new to this..

Sorry, not sure. Where does it say that, can you give me a link?

tedpan wrote: »
    Sorry, not sure. Where does it say that, can you give me a link?

4th pointer down in the description, just under, download manual, and just above SPECIFICATIONS>

sunny2004 wrote:
    4th pointer down in the description, just under, download manual, and just above SPECIFICATIONS>

Ah, I think that means it will either come the WiFi dongle or the blade guards. Mine came with the WiFi dongle to connect the transmitter wirelessly to the phone.

I don't think I'd use either to be honest with you as the usb connection from the transmitter to the phone also charges the phone and the blade guards can interfere with recording.

Just found this clip, Another Mi Drone 4K Owner in Howth..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Does it have a follow me function and does it work.

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Does it have a follow me function and does it work.

Nope, Follow me is one of the features not currently on the Mi Drone although with development I think this could come with a firmware update.

Currently it has Auto take off, Dronie Mode, Orbit, Return to Home and route planning with waypoints.

Advertisement