Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fiber stops about 100 meters away...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

They are still at it.

I have reported posts. I have PMed the mod. Another mod has joined the mockery.

When is this going to stop?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from the Dispute Resolution Forum

Help Desk deals with complaints like this

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, I've spent a little time going through the thread in question. Now I have no expertise whatsoever in the underlying subject, but I will comment on the way the thread evolved

Firstly mods have been active in the thread, which they have now closed and I can see plenty of evidence they have removed a number of posts. However you started this thread (ie this one I've moved to Help Desk) on a Sunday evening, and mods are not going to be online continuously. Sometimes it will take a bit of time for them to get to deal with reported posts, so please do not be surprised if it takes some time (as it has for me to get to this particular thread)

As a non-expert what I see is you asking for advice, a number of posters providing what they considered appropriate advice. In addition others chipped in with similar issues, and indeed how they had sought to deal with those issues.

Now it is very clear that you did not appreciate some of that advice. That's fair enough, but you failed to elaborate why you did not appreciate it, resulting in what appears to be frustration on both sides. Other posters could see a simple solution, and indeed those who had faced similar issues would support the approach being suggested

Unfortunately you did not want to go down that route, and discussions became heated (from both sides I would add)

Just to make one thing clear though, although you were the OP, you do not "own" the thread, and it is perfectly reasonable for the discussion to focus on something you perhaps did not consider appropriate, but others did. You very clearly got worked up about the responses being posted, but you had 3 solutions that would have avoided further escalation. It was very clear the only advice been provided was not considered useful to you. You could have
    1. Embraced the advice being given
    2. Ignored the posts you had an issue with; or
    3. Withdrawn from the thread altogether

In all cases there remained an underlying discussion which was of interest to some even if not yourself.

Ultimately a mod closed the thread due to the trainwreck it had become, but I would suggest there were contributions from both sides to that trainwreck.

I appreciate this may not be what you are wanting to hear, but that is my view having tried to look at this thread as an "outsider". Yes some of the contributors did not exactly act in a totally civil and/or constructive manner, but I would include yourself in that category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I requested the thread closed. The mods did not step in, at any stage. Except for when I requested it closed.

I had reported a few posts. Nothing done.
    I PMed a mod. Nothing done.
    I posted here. Nothing done.
    I IMed 2 other mods.
    I IMed the mod back, never to be heard again.

1 of them finally replied and closed the thread.

I do not have to explain anything, the same way as you don't. There are reasons I cannot go in to.

Does that make it ok to name call and belittle someone?

You are blaming people's behaviour on me? You are saying I deserved it?

The p2p advice was not advice I even asked for. I said several times-more than several times I cant do that. And I asked several times for the abuse to stop.

But, that is ok by ye. Not one mod note, not one infraction. Not one.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement