Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

POTW 487: 14/9/19 - 20/9/19

Options
  • 23-10-2019 10:16am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

THIS WEEK'S POTW GOES TO:

Adrian.Sadlier
    48761679426_edbfc08cae_c.jpg

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

Wailin
    48732126283_86ab3b3790_c.jpg

Morrisseeee
    48751421426_abc04dc7e4_c.jpg

kevc2
    48751032001_7701e1d4b4_c.jpg

Judge
    48692186212_29d3f03368_c.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS Adrian. Lovely shot.
    WELL DONE HMs

Adrian, if you don't mind you might give us some insight into the process of capturing the winning shot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

That rain shot is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bet the raindrops were too afraid to fall on his camera :D

Amazing photo...the HM's were good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Bet the raindrops were too afraid to fall on his camera :D

...the HM's were good too!

If I had squeezed any further into the side of the street I would have ended us as Rockman! Thank heavens for 1st floor balconies and no wind - the rain was almost vertical.

Some compensation for a Spanish Holiday that coincided with the heaviest rainfall since records began.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Myksyk wrote: »
    Adrian, if you don't mind you might give us some insight into the process of capturing the winning shot.

I just oticed the request for some background on the shot. If you click through on the original post you will get the full EXIF data on the shot from Flickr.

Nikon D810, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 E VR
    Shot taken at f22, 70mm, 1/13s, ISO 100, handheld
    Alicante, Spain.

We were almost back at the apartment we rented (Airbnb) but daren't move any further because of the impending rain. It started suddenly and within 30s was torrential. We sheltered where we could, under an overhanging balcony.

The light was changing rapidly as the rainstorm moved in. Very contrasting light in frame - bright sunshine and cloud cover in one shot.

I nearly always shoot in aperture priority mode, so reduced aperture to f22 at the same time as adjusting ISO to 100, to slow shutter speed to get elongated raindrops. VR gave me 4 stops extra stability so 1/13s wasn't a problem handheld.

I got about 3 or 4 really (what I would consider) good shots in the space of two minutes - normally it would take me months! It was totally re-active.

Sometimes always having a camera hanging out of my hand works. Even if it does weigh nearly 5lbs :) That and a reasonably fast reaction time and a tolerant wife :)

Had to do a fair bit of LR and PS editing to get a reasonable shot.

Advertisement