Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 McTJES

Does anyone know...

I know that when they ballot they have to give 7 days notice minimum to strike
    After the first strike action if it goes ahead on the 12th can they strike again then whenever they want? Due to fly 19th. Was so worried this was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Irish based pilots to strike on the 12th: https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0703/975926-ryanair_pilots/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I'm meant to be flying with Ryanair on the 12th. What are my options now. There's still flights available with Aer Lingus to my destination on that day. Should I go ahead and book Aer Lingus now and claim back with Ryanair later? Any advice would be greatly apprectiated!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I'm meant to be flying with Ryanair on the 12th. What are my options now. There's still flights available with Aer Lingus to my destination on that day. Should I go ahead and book Aer Lingus now and claim back with Ryanair later? Any advice would be greatly apprectiated!

In the same situation, although I see that only 100 of their 300 pilots are due to strike.... do they put you on the next available flight???? How does it work???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

MUC-DUB flight on Thur night 12-Jul, FR8997.

How likely is that to be affected?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yeah but 100 Captains striking is going to ground most flights originating from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Operated by Dublin crew so very likely to be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Yeah but 100 Captains striking is going to ground most flights originating from Ireland.

Ok, so what happens to your booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Great. Supposed to be flying out next Thursday morning to Lisbon.! I'm assuming this will not go ahead ??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/what-are-my-rights-if-my-flights-are-cancelled-30339636.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Any idea of impact to DUB-LIS? Given their past debacles, I'm not expecting timely notifications from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

How do we know if it's a
    Dublin based plane? I'm supposed to be going from Beauvais to Dublin on the night of the 12th

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

How do we know if it's a
    Dublin based plane? I'm supposed to be going from Beauvais to Dublin on the night of the 12th

That almost certainly will be as there are no French bases

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Meself wrote: »
    Great. Supposed to be flying out next Thursday morning to Lisbon.! I'm assuming this will not go ahead ??

We're supposed to be flying to Nice on the 12th. What an absolute nightmare!

Any chance this could be resolved before next Thursday? Any hope at all..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

I’m flying with Ryanair on the Friday 13th

Would it be normal for flights to resume the day after even if the issue is not resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

We're supposed to be flying to Nice on the 12th. What an absolute nightmare!

Any chance this could be resolved before next Thursday? Any hope at all..??
    I'm hoping that will be the case. Been looking forward to this break for ages. Absolute nightmare.

I'm hoping that will be the case. Been looking forward to this break for ages. Absolute nightmare.

Us too...booked time off work, arranged childminders, booked hotel, the lot. I thought it was the French air traffic controllers that might fukc it up, now the Irish pilots have got in on the act too :mad:

All we can do now is hope they come to some agreement by early next week and call off the bloody thing altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Not impressed with this at all. Due to be flying from Cork on the day. Contacted their support line earlier. It may as well have been a mail bot with the bland unrelated responses.

Unfortunately it's not straight forward and there is no perfect answer.

If you book Aer Lingus now and your Ryanair flight ends-up not being cancelled, you will have paid for 2 sets of tickets and won't qualify for any compensation.

On the other hand Ryanair are likely to wait until very late to communicate on which flights are cancelled (until they know there is no hope of operating the flight), so if you wait for their announcement Aer Lingus will likely be sold out or extremely expensive. Meaning your journey/holiday could be cancelled/ruined.

So either way you are taking some risk. The way I would look at it is that if the flight is critical to you and/or the Aer Lingus alternative is not too costly you could make a booking. But of you could live with not getting on the flight and/or Aer Lingus is already very pricey, you can chance Ryanair and accept that your journey might not happen or happen a day or 2 late.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not straight forward and there is no perfect answer.

If you book Aer Lingus now and your Ryanair flight ends-up not being cancelled, you will have paid for 2 sets of tickets and won't qualify for any compensation.

On the other hand Ryanair are likely to wait until very late to communicate on which flights are cancelled (until they know there is no hope of operating the flight), so if you wait for their announcement Aer Lingus will likely be sold out or extremely expensive. Meaning your journey/holiday could be cancelled/ruined.

So either way you are taking some risk. The way I would look at it is that if the flight is critical to you and/or the Aer Lingus alternative is not too costly you could make a booking. But of you could live with not getting on the flight and/or Aer Lingus is already very pricey, you can chance Ryanair and accept that your journey might not happen or happen a day or 2 late.

Yeah thanks for the analysis, I panicked a bit when I heard the announcement this afternoon but have been reading up about it ever since and basically came to the same conclusion as yourself.

It's only a long weekend a group of us are going on. The strike is the Thursday and we're heading to a concert on the Friday. The return flights with Ryanair were only €82 and to replace the outgoing flight with Aer Lingus is only €67 so not the end of the world.

I guess it's better to be safe than sorry and take the hit on the extra flight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Will you lose the return flight from Ryanair given you don't travel outbound with them?
    Yeah thanks for the analysis, I panicked a bit when I heard the announcement this afternoon but have been reading up about it ever since and basically came to the same conclusion as yourself.

It's only a long weekend a group of us are going on. The strike is the Thursday and we're heading to a concert on the Friday. The return flights with Ryanair were only €82 and to replace the outgoing flight with Aer Lingus is only €67 so not the end of the world.

I guess it's better to be safe than sorry and take the hit on the extra flight!

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Will you lose the return flight from Ryanair given you don't travel outbound with them?

I ****ing hope not! Can they do that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I ****ing hope not! Can they do that?

Yes, but in this case if you contact them I suspect they'll break the booking for you to allow the return.

I don't think they would automatically void johnnykilo's return flight if the outbound flight is cancelled, will they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

"You don't need to notify us if you are unable to travel and if you can’t use your outbound flight you can still use your return flight."
    source: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Flight-Changes-And-Refunds/Can-I-cancel-my-booking-before-travel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

fmul9798 wrote: »

That doesn't happen with low-cost airlines.

otnomart wrote: »
    "You don't need to notify us if you are unable to travel and if you can’t use your outbound flight you can still use your return flight."
    source: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Flight-Changes-And-Refunds/Can-I-cancel-my-booking-before-travel

Ok, I think I might go ahead and book an outbound flight with Aer Lingus instead and hope they honour the return flight.

I assume if the strike goes ahead, I'll get the cost of my outbound Ryanair flight refunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Flying to Madrid on the 12th, how likely is this to be cancelled?
    I presume they refund cancelled flights... Not happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ok, I think I might go ahead and book an outbound flight with Aer Lingus instead and hope they honour the return flight.

I assume if the strike goes ahead, I'll get the cost of my outbound Ryanair flight refunded?

Yes they will honour the return and yes you will get refunded if the strike takes place.

Advertisement