Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetry & Short Fiction Publishing / Competitions

• 14-03-2015 10:27pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There are heaps of places to send your short stories & poetry to be published. I thought I'd put together a list which people can add to over time. Be sure to check out the submission guidelines on each of the sites before submitting.

Below are all Irish, but hopefully we can add a few international to the mix.

I've the word limits noted for prose, but all of them accept poetry too, except the Dublin review (boo).

Most don't pay, but I've marked the ones that do.

The Penny Dreadful Up to 2 stories of up to 3,000 words each.

Crannóg MagazineUp to 2,000 words.

Stinging Fly No word limit. Printed submissions by snail-mail only.

The Bohemyth Online only. Up to 2 stories of up to 2,000 words each.

Colony No word limit.

Irish Times, Hennessy New Irish Writing, last Saturday of every month. Up to 2,200 words. Hennessy Awards come from the published pool. €130 per story published. Email submissions to hennessynewirishwriting@irishtimes.com

The Moth Up to 2,500 words. (They also have a yearly short story competition which is currently open)

Southword Up to 2,500 words. Pays €120 per story published.

The Dublin Review Printed submissions by snail-mail only. No poems. No word limit for fiction.

Banshee Brand new and open for business. Prose up to 5,000 words, 1,000 for flash.

The Incubator Up to 3,000 words.

Silver Apples Up to 2 pieces of 3,000 words.

gorse Miniumum 1,500 words.

The Linnet's Wings Publishing poetry, short stories and articles in both online and print format. Up to 5,000 words fiction.

Brain of Forgetting Poetry, flash fiction, and creative non-fiction relating to the past and heritage.

Causeway | Cabhsair Scottish journal publishing poetry and fiction by both Irish and Scottish writers.

The Honest Ulsterman Up to 3,000 words.

Here are some exclusively for the poets.

Skylight 47 Next submission deadline TBA.

Bare Hands Poetry Online monthly, submissions always open. Anthology book published annually.

The Shop Submissions always open, snail mail only. Published quarterly

The Poetry Bus Submission window opens after each issue published.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BerMacLovin

A few more to add to your list:

The Linnet's Wings: Irish journal publishing poetry, short stories and articles in both online and print format.
    Brain of Forgetting: New Irish journal publishing poetry, flash fiction, and creative non-fiction relating to the past and heritage.
    Causeway/Cabhsair: Scottish journal publishing poetry and fiction by both Irish and Scottish writers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Thanks, Ber.

I've added them to the list with the relevant links.

I've also added The Honest Ulsterman, which I somehow managed to miss out of the original list.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigsmokeintern

The SHOp has closed, alas. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

I'm so glad i found this thread, thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭timsnewbridge

Thanks for this thread.
    While it's not Irish. The Writer's of the Future is an international, quarterly competition for aspiring writers.
    1st, 2nd, 3rd place are 1000, 750 and 500 dollars respectively.
    An annual winner is selected and they win 5000 dollars.
    Note: the competition is run by and funded by the L. Ron Hubbard estate (creator of scientology)
    As is the 'Galaxy Press' who print the final anthology.
    However, the estate is distinct from the church. And the competition has
    nothing to do with the religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

The Moth Short story competition is open ...

http://www.themothmagazine.com/a1-page.asp?ID=3055&page=9

Some of you might be interested in submitting to LampLight magazine.

It's US based and they pay by the word.

Here's what they want:
    We are a literary magazine of dark fiction, both short stories and flash fiction. We want your best. But then, doesn’t everyone? No specific sub-genres or themes, just good stories. For inspiration, we suggest “The Twilight Zone”, “The Outer Limits”

I saw this and thought of you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Some of you might be interested in submitting to LampLight magazine.

It's US based and they pay by the word.

Here's what they want:

I saw this and thought of you guys.

DK you are great this is the most useful thread we have in here imo thank you for posting.

http://wordsireland.ie

Nice general resource with a great Competitions listings page ...

http://wordsireland.ie/competitions/

And journal submissions listings ...
    http://wordsireland.ie/journal-submissions/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Hospital, Co. Limerick Arts Festival runs from 13th to 17th September.
    Short story competition around 1000 words any subject.
    Poetry competition open.
    Entry is free and winners will receive a certificate and entry will be published in two newspapers.
    Get your entries in now to.
    mrosactor@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigsmokeintern

Doolin Writers Competition - poetry, flash & short stories. Deadline 1 December. https://www.hoteldoolin.ie/doolin-writers-festival.html

P.S. Might be worth noting that the following journals also pay: The Stinging Fly, The Dublin Review, Banshee and gorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Did the Sunday Businnes Post competition every announce the winners? I can't find any mention of it.

Did the Sunday Businnes Post competition every announce the winners? I can't find any mention of it.

Haven't seen anything either. I got fed up and sent the story I had with them somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Nope, not seen or heard anything. Anybody have a subscription to the paper? Maybe it's been published behind their paywall.

Winners will be announced tomorrow week, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Thanks for the heads up on the RTE Guide/Penguin. I've missed it the last few years because it's hard to find the details online. They usually have a longest of 50 that get invited to an open day which is always a good day out.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Textra_vision

A friend of mine has started a short-story podcast and is looking for submissions to feature. Author of winning submission wins €50.

More info (delete spaces): w w w .writing. ie/news/lift-the-sink-new-short-story-podcast/
    Terms:
    Stories must be submitted in word format, double-spaced and be no more than 2,500 words in length to liftthesink @ yahoo. com.
    Stories must not have been previously published and upon entry you grant permission to Lift the Sink to broadcast your story.
    There is no entry fee, however, entrants are asked to follow the show on twitter @liftthesink.
    Your name must not appear anywhere on the attachment. Please include your contact details in the body of the email.
    Deadline for entry is December 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coldaquila

Nice general resource with a great Competitions listings page ...I'm so glad i found this thread, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 20 solo1y

I underestimated how much of "being a writer" involves hustling.

It's a lot.

Thanks for this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Robin_K

Thanks for the list, that is very informative!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭bikermartin

Thanks for sharing this list! It's a valuable resource for writers looking to get their short stories and poetry published. Having information about word limits and whether they pay is really helpful. It's great to see opportunities for both Irish and international writers.

Advertisement