Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firestick general discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

should I be using filelinked app versions rather than the pre installed apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

Hey Guys.

I Bought a firestick but cant get amazon prime video to work. I have an amazon.co.uk prime account, but I live in Ireland, So my video actually comes from Amazon.com

How can I change this on the firestick to make it work ?>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Install prime app from Aptoide.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

ablelocks wrote: »
    should I be using filelinked app versions rather than the pre installed apps?

If you have an Irish account then you will need Filelinked for the UK tv apps (they won't be available via the Amazon store).

You can also get an ad free version of RTE player on Filelinked that actually works quite well, once RTE servers aren't under pressure.

But for other apps on Amazon store that are not geoblocked on the store just install them from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

Is it necessary to use a VPN?

• Advertisement

Is it necessary to use a VPN?

You won’t get access to BBC IPlayer from Ireland (or anything else that is geoblocked) without a VPN.

Even the good ones are fairly cheap (around €30 per year for NORD) and you can half that cost by sharing with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

Looks like Prime Day may now be in October.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/amazon-prime-day-now-delayed-until-october-5-leaked-emails-say-4039813

Bad news for those of you holding out for a cheaper Fire TV Stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody ever try to use FireTV stick to play local media with no internet connection? Going to holiday home with no internet and am planning to bring movies on usb stick/drive. Would this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭glen123

degsie wrote: »
    Anybody ever try to use FireTV stick to play local media with no internet connection? Going to holiday home with no internet and am planning to bring movies on usb stick/drive. Would this work?

If TV you'll be using has HDMI port, it will have USB port too, so you can plug in your USB stick straight into TV and play your movies without any firestick at all.

Hey Guys.

I Bought a firestick but cant get amazon prime video to work. I have an amazon.co.uk prime account, but I live in Ireland, So my video actually comes from Amazon.com

How can I change this on the firestick to make it work ?>

Had the same problem. I got on to Amazon chat, told them where I bought my Firestick and that I was based in Ireland and they changed smth to get it to work on all my 3 firesticks at home.

• Advertisement

glen123 wrote: »
    If TV you'll be using has HDMI port, it will have USB port too, so you can plug in your USB stick straight into TV and play your movies without any firestick at all.

Possibly, but most of my movies are .h265 which only newer TVs could handle.

Possibly, but most of my movies are .h265 which only newer TVs could handle.

Then you probably need this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-Compatible-Keyboards-Logitech-Nintendo/dp/B07M83762Y/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=firestick+usb&qid=1593887122&sr=8-4

The Q&A states:

Question:Would this allow me to add a memory stick as storage on my Firestick

Answer:Absolutely, but you need to configure the memory stick before connecting it to the fire stick. There is an online tutorial fit that though.
    Check Troypoint's website for that

Then using VLC player you should be able to browse to the added storage and play your movies.

Getting this error with prime all of a sudden. “Error code: PLR_PRS_CALL_FAILED.”

Fix suggested online was to clear cache, clear data and reboot, which did not resolve it.

Even a factory reset did not resolve it.

Any advice appreciated.

glen123 wrote: »
    Then you probably need this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-Compatible-Keyboards-Logitech-Nintendo/dp/B07M83762Y/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=firestick+usb&qid=1593887122&sr=8-4

The Q&A states:

Question:Would this allow me to add a memory stick as storage on my Firestick

Answer:Absolutely, but you need to configure the memory stick before connecting it to the fire stick. There is an online tutorial fit that though.
    Check Troypoint's website for that

Then using VLC player you should be able to browse to the added storage and play your movies.

Cheers, that should work ok. The trick then is to bypass the home screen not available message when there is no internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Cheers, that should work ok. The trick then is to bypass the home screen not available message when there is no internet connection.

Long press the home button on the remote & go to apps

Trevord wrote: »
    Getting this error with prime all of a sudden. “Error code: PLR_PRS_CALL_FAILED.”

Fix suggested online was to clear cache, clear data and reboot, which did not resolve it.

Even a factory reset did not resolve it.

Any advice appreciated.

What prime video are you trying to watch & how?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    What prime video are you trying to watch & how?

Anything on the prime app on the firestick doesn’t play suddenly.

Customer support saying that watching prime on firestick using app in ROI not permitted and that you have to use a browser or login to prime video via other devices.

Anything on the prime app on the firestick doesn’t play suddenly.

Customer support saying that watching prime on firestick using app in ROI not permitted and that you have to use a browser or login to prime video via other devices.

The preinstalled prime video never worked with the Irish prime video, that's why they're telling you that. Try a different support chat, just depends who you get.
    You need them to change the video territory to UK or install prime video from aptoid or wherever.

Do you know if you were already UK territory?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    The preinstalled prime video never worked with the Irish prime video, that's why they're telling you that. Try a different support chat, just depends who you get.
    You need them to change the video territory to UK or install prime video from aptoid or wherever.

Do you know if you were already UK territory?

Ya. You’re right. Not registered as a UK account.

Turns out that prime had been working, but not with the native app on the stick. Installed a version from aptoid as you suggested and that seems to be doing the trick. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭boardtc

Any source for the Virgin Media player app. I haven't seen that on Filelinked.

I also am wondering about installing the Virgin media player and TG4 player.

As anyone managed it in a usable way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

boardtc wrote: »
    I also am wondering about installing the Virgin media player and TG4 player.

As anyone managed it in a usable way?

Virgin media player is ok but you need the orientation app and mouse toggle. You'd need to know what you want to watch before you use it. But it works fine once working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Anyone having difficulty with NordVPN and BBC iPlayer? Has been working fine for me since lockdown started but since yesterday I’m getting an error saying “Unable to load BBC iplayer. Please try again” when connected to VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Poochie05

johnfás wrote: »
    Anyone having difficulty with NordVPN and BBC iPlayer? Has been working fine for me since lockdown started but since yesterday I’m getting an error saying “Unable to load BBC iplayer. Please try again” when connected to VPN.

I’m getting the same with NordVPN and the app on the Firestick. Works fine on iPad through the iplayer on the bbc website and VPN. App was working grand on the Firestick before that. NordVPN says iplayer is currently accessible on all devices with their UK servers. Tried a few different ones but still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I’m getting the same with NordVPN and the app on the Firestick. Works fine on iPad through the iplayer on the bbc website and VPN. App was working grand on the Firestick before that. NordVPN says iplayer is currently accessible on all devices with their UK servers. Tried a few different ones but still no joy.

Thanks. Can you stream the BBC app on the iPad through the Firestick?

I wonder if the same issue is arising through the Apple TV - most try that.

Would be interested to know if it is something at the BBC end or if other VPNs are still working. The iplayer is such a treasure trove.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Just watching iplayer now, on firestick. Keepsolid vpn, no issues whatsoever. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

is there a way to change or reset the recommendations on the large top banner on main page?....ours is stuck on rugrats or something for ages now.....and its our bedroom tv, we never watch kids shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Anyone know if Sky Go works with the firestick?

johnfás wrote: »
    Thanks. Can you stream the BBC app on the iPad through the Firestick?

I wonder if the same issue is arising through the Apple TV - most try that.

Would be interested to know if it is something at the BBC end or if other VPNs are still working. The iplayer is such a treasure trove.

Any occasional issue I have with BBC iplayer via Nord are resolved by force stopping the app, clearing the cache and restarting. Then re-start Nord VPN.

If that doesn't work, then change the UK server in the Nord App. That is a bit fiddly to do on the Firestick version of the Nord App compared with the standard android version. Connect to UK and disconnect and then connect to UK again. That should pick a different UK server.

Also I avoid resuming a show that I may have have paused earlier. I find that sometime leads to a "something went wrong" error. I just note where Iplayer says it is paused. Then instead of resume, I select play from the beginning and then fast forward to the point where it had been paused.

If none of these options work, then I'd delete the Iplayer app and reinstall it.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Virgin media player is ok but you need the orientation app and mouse toggle. You'd need to know what you want to watch before you use it. But it works fine once working.

Sideload the regular android apk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Poochie05 wrote: »

Seems to be working ok the last 2 nights

Advertisement