Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supernumerary Teeth

Options
  • 20-10-2019 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

Discovery of 2 x supernumerary teeth (unerupted) incidentally on an xray prior to orthodontic treatment.

Orthodontist said the extra teeth absolutely have to be surgically removed before braces go on.

Braces are for mild overjet and high canines (probably caused by these extra unknown teeth in the first place).

Poor reaction to general anaesthetic previously so reluctant to get these teeth removed surgically.

Am waiting for a referral appointment from the oral surgeon now but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across supernumerary teeth and what was done with them?

Seems to be two choices, get them out or don't proceed with braces. Could they cause problems down the line if they aren't removed anyway?

Can they be removed with concious sedation? Can they be removed without damaging the erupted surrounding teeth?

I'm trying to weigh up the orthodontics v surgical procedure...... I've looked online but there doesn't seem to be a general rule for extraction and just wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with this.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

These are all good questions that will be answered by your Oral Surgeon at the consultation. Nobody on here know enough about your specific case to answer them in any meaningful way. In fact looking at all the permutation and combinations most of which are not applicable to you will only complicate your though processes about the pros and cons.

Supernumary teeth are not at all rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

These are all good questions that will be answered by your Oral Surgeon at the consultation. Nobody on here know enough about your specific case to answer them in any meaningful way. In fact looking at all the permutation and combinations most of which are not applicable to you will only complicate your though processes about the pros and cons.

Supernumary teeth are not at all rare.

Completely understand, every case if different and I will be asking the oral surgeon about all of this so I can make a fully informed decision.

I really just wanted to see if anyone has ever been in this situation and what was their experience.

Have decided not to have the extra teeth in gums removed and as a result braces are on hold for the moment.

Three more baby teeth to lose so will revisit it again once they are gone and the new ones in.

Would still be interested to hear of anyone who has had similar experience.

Have decided not to have the extra teeth in gums removed and as a result braces are on hold for the moment.

Three more baby teeth to lose so will revisit it again once they are gone and the new ones in.

Careful now, if you want implants you need to have the braces first, implants will not move like teeth and the final result needs careful planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

What did the OS say??

• Advertisement

What did the OS say??

They said the two teeth need to be removed before braces can be considered (braces are for a 6mm overjet and slight overcrowding).

He explained the procedure etc and what's involved so if I decide to go ahead and get the two supernumaries (they are unerupted so need surgical removal) out then we just need to let him know.

He did say once all baby teeth are gone things may improve or worsen so can decide later if braces are still required.

Careful now, if you want implants you need to have the braces first, implants will not move like teeth and the final result needs careful planning.

No implants needed just braces, the supernumaries are still unerupted and all other teeth are in bar the 3 baby teeth still to go.

No implants needed just braces, the supernumaries are still unerupted and all other teeth are in bar the 3 baby teeth still to go.

Sorry I got confused there, usually you can get the teeth out and progress with the braces without too much delay. Good luck.

Advertisement