Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Pro Wrestling Debutant

• 09-07-2018 10:59am
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Employee

Our next guest to step into the AMA ring is a Pro Wrestling debutant.

Simon Miller took advantage of an Al Snow Wrestling Academy opening up near him, took the bumps and bruises and learned vital wrestling skills, and vlogged the experience along the way. He has since made his debut in the wrestling ring, taking part in a royal rumble, a tag team match, and a one on one match. Soon, he will compete in the inaugural Ringmaster tournament and take part in his first London-based wrestling match.

If you have any questions about fitness and training in general, training to become a pro wrestler, and what happens in the ring, ask away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 runtheropes

How have you found the transition from full time video game journalist, to wrestling journalist, to wrestler? It's absolutely crazy to see your progression from when I started following you back in your VideoGamer days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I Like the bit where you slap your head and ask why?

• Company Representative Posts: 18 Verified rep I'm a Pro Wrestling Debutant, AMA

How have you found the transition from full time video game journalist, to wrestling journalist, to wrestler? It's absolutely crazy to see your progression from when I started following you back in your VideoGamer days!
    It's weird because while I've always been a driven individual, I'm also very good at convincing myself these things won't happen. That's great in one way because it keeps you motivated, but it can also be intimidating. When Defiant asked if I wanted to debut in their Rumble I was crazy excited but then you also think "Oh man. Now it's time to do it!"

Now, I love that feeling but it's equal parts awesome as it is scary. Going back to your Q, it's all been a blur looking back at it. I always would've liked thing to have head in this direction, but to say it was a specific plan would not be true. I just worked really hard and made sure I always did things I was really passionate about it.

As for transitioning, it's always harder at first as you learn the ropes, pun intended. Then hopefully from there you get more confident as time ticks away! I do hope games journalist to wrestler becomes a valid career path now given my man Jim Sterling has also done it as well...!

• Company Representative Posts: 18 Verified rep I'm a Pro Wrestling Debutant, AMA

I Like the bit where you slap your head and ask why?
    Well, that's good! I will, hopefully, do that for a long time to come. *slaps head*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

How did the first bumps feel? They're supposed to be a mf'er

Do you see yourself wrestling long term or is it just something you wanted to be able to say you did for a while?

How come you didn't jump ship when the Cultaholic guys did? WC wasn't getting a lot of love around the time they left and you were the one keeping the wrestling videos going so fair play for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hi Simon,

So going from a fan and reviewer of wrestling and understanding the nature of the sport/entertainment to becoming a wrestler is there anything that truly surprised during the training and actual matches that you did not expect before starting that journy to becoming a wrestler?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Who were your favorite wrestlers growing up?

Who had the greatest influence/impact on your life?

When did you decide you wanted to be a pro wrestler?

Do you ever get tired of constantly working shows?

Who's your closest friend in the industry?

What are your favorite matches?

Who do you enjoy working with in the ring the most?

What is your favorite match that you've been in?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hi Simon,

Massive fan since videogamer.

Did I detect some Mick Foley influence on the VG cinematic universe with the multiple characters?

Have you experienced stage fright? DO you think your time as a musician helps with working the crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Happililtrees

I've never watched wrestling until just recently, I started watching WWE from 2017 and I'm loving it. Any tips on what else I should try watching? Also, I've heard a lot of people complain about WWE and say it's bad now and it used to be amazing, what are your thoughts on this? 
    Love the work, Simon and if you ever do another wrestling match in Newcastle, or just go for a public event in general, I'd definitely come and see.

How did the first bumps feel? They're supposed to be a mf'er

Do you see yourself wrestling long term or is it just something you wanted to be able to say you did for a while?

How come you didn't jump ship when the Cultaholic guys did? WC wasn't getting a lot of love around the time they left and you were the one keeping the wrestling videos going so fair play for that

Bumps are very weird because you're right - when you first do one the reaction is: "You've got to be kidding me". And yet now I kinda get a kick out of them...! I can't explain that but maybe that's where the line is. You either learn to love them or just decide it's not for you, which I would totally get it.

Originally my plan was just to do one match, but now I'm into it - and love it - I want to see how long I can do it for and for how long. I've no idea how that'll manifested itself, but it just makes me pleased to be apart of it. Will work my ass off and see what happens!

The Cultaholic guys had their own things going on and so did I. That's pretty much it! I love those guys and will never be able to thank them enough, and the same goes for WhatCulture. It was a bit rough for a few weeks given how some people reacted but as I said at the time, we smile and ignore the hate :).

• Advertisement

Hi Simon,

So going from a fan and reviewer of wrestling and understanding the nature of the sport/entertainment to becoming a wrestler is there anything that truly surprised during the training and actual matches that you did not expect before starting that journy to becoming a wrestler?

Everything, to be honest. I had a good idea as I think most fans do, but nothing can prepare you for doing it, or at least that was my experience. I remember holding off starting training for 6 months so I could up my cardio in the gym and soon realised that was a waste of time! Important, of course, but the only thing that can get you ready for wrestling training is wrestling training. 

Other than that it's just how easy the pros make it look. Even a headlock takedown - although being on the simpler end of what's doable - they make look so smooth. I've a whole new appreciation for all wrestlers, although I don't like saying that as I risk sounding like "that guy". Started training and think I know it all... I really don't! 

Just the mechanics of putting a match together as well. Again, looks effortless on TV and yet the amount of times in training I'm like a deer in the headlights. 

I would like to say it is the best thing ever, too. I can't get enough and want to keep improving constantly.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Who were your favorite wrestlers growing up?

Who had the greatest influence/impact on your life?

When did you decide you wanted to be a pro wrestler?

Do you ever get tired of constantly working shows?

Who's your closest friend in the industry?

What are your favorite matches?

Who do you enjoy working with in the ring the most?

What is your favorite match that you've been in?

1) Bret Hart and Stone Cold Steve Austin were my two favourites, but I also loved Hulk Hogan (who didn't?), The Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, Mr Perfect and The Undertaker.

2) That's a great question with multiple answers. My parents - for many reasons - helped shape who I am and taught me how important hard work is. HHH because he was the reason I started lifting weights, and that had such a huge impact on my life in general. Everything I know about setting goals is because of the gym. My friend Luke who I've known for close to 30 years and has believed in me since day one. And Batman/Metallica. Weird combo, but I found both when I was 16 and they made so much sense to my brain it helped me develop a sense of self.

3) Probably around 6 years old when I first saw it! I've actually trained twice before to try and make it, but it was during my 20s where mentally I just wasn't ready. I went through a lot in my early 30s and it gave me so much perspective about what I wanted and how to go about it.

4) Never. I'm still relatively new, but the drive/travel is half the fun even though it may not seem like it at the time. It all ties in and gives you time to practice promos, chat to other wrestlers or just reflect on a match.

5) I wouldn't want to name just one person at the moment because so many people have helped me. Short answer: everyone that I've crossed paths with so far have been awesome. More awesome than they needed to be, too.

6) My favourite matches ever would be Stone Cold vs Bret Hart from Mania 13, Okada vs Omega from Dominion 2017, any Ric Flair vs Steamboat scrap, and I've also got a soft spot for Hogan/Rock at Mania 18 because it's just so nuts on every level.

7) Everyone at the moment. Another rubbish answer, but I'm still riding the wave of 'Man, this is the coolest thing ever'. So every match is just badass.

8) I'm not sure anything will ever top my debut in the Defiant Rumble. From being terrified to elated within seconds, it was genuinely one of the best moments of my life!

Hi Simon,

Massive fan since videogamer.

Did I detect some Mick Foley influence on the VG cinematic universe with the multiple characters?

Have you experienced stage fright? DO you think your time as a musician helps with working the crowd?
    Thanks for being on-board for so long!

You'd think so with Mick Foley, but if it was it wasn't conscious. I just got carried away with doing characters, loved it so kept going. I like the comparison, though. It's alright with me! My only real sadness with those is that they never really got massive. I would've liked that.

I mostly find that I'm pretty nervous before anything that I care about, but then when I'm out there I love it so much I calm down and embrace the moment. I've always been that way. If I'm passionate about something, I will overthink it till the cows come home. Kinda means you get more out of it, though, and any success out the other side feels like a proper achievement. Oddly I don't get nervous about gigs with my band anymore. So explain that!

I've never watched wrestling until just recently, I started watching WWE from 2017 and I'm loving it. Any tips on what else I should try watching? Also, I've heard a lot of people complain about WWE and say it's bad now and it used to be amazing, what are your thoughts on this? 
    Love the work, Simon and if you ever do another wrestling match in Newcastle, or just go for a public event in general, I'd definitely come and see.
    You could try New Japan as and when you feel like something different from WWE. It takes some getting used to but it is awesome. Other than that, most indies are pretty incredible these days. Ring Of Honor, Rev Pro, Evolve, Progress, ICW! Just great wrestlers wrestling. 

I think some people just get caught up on the negatives on WWE too much. Are there plotholes/silly booking/bad segments/all around weirdness? Yes. But it's meant to be entertainment so I always like to approach it that way. I think WWE is great nowadays, especially the match quality. It's better than ever.

Thank you, too. I'm in Newcastle a week today at the O2 Academy in Defiant. It's a two-day event so if you fancy coming, please do :).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Big fan of whatculture and find your insight very good

Are u allowed have a few pints after ur match or do u have a strict diet to follow ???

Did u ever lose your concentration in a match and forget ur spot ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Serious question. I'm wrestling fan, and know you from that content. Is it frustrating watching the WWE product and knowing its not going to change( Well that's my opinion). Continuous frustration on how characters are portrayed. Lack of long term planning for guys lower down the card. Do you ever lose your mind having to point out serious flaws in the product over and over again?.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Bumps are very weird because you're right - when you first do one the reaction is: "You've got to be kidding me". And yet now I kinda get a kick out of them...! I can't explain that but maybe that's where the line is. You either learn to love them or just decide it's not for you, which I would totally get it.

as a matrial artist I get a kick out of being punched so I get this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

So did you ask the rules boss if any of this was allowed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hey Simon, a few questions for you!

Who would be your dream tag team partner?

You can train for some of the bumps, but what was it like to get pinged with a chair in the back of the head? And how did you stay in performance mode?

You seem to be getting some flak because of starting out with a following from YouTube. How are you staying focused and positive (especially when it comes from other wrestlers - or is that all part and parcel of building stories)?

You've embraced different characters over the years (with Videogamer); ever done acting or is it something that you'd like to pursue? And will we see the wrestler Simon Miller evolve in this way as you become more comfortable in the ring? Reckon you'll ever become a heel? :D

What else have you on the bucket list that you'd like to try your hand at?

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Simon, welcome to Boards, been a long-time WhatCulture fan, and still watch Ups and Downs to keep up-to-date with Raw and SmackDown

Do you think that NXT UK is going to help or hinder the indie wrestling scene in the UK and Ireland? We've seen plenty of wrestlers do well outside the WWE and then become 'sterilized' once they enter the WWE system (maybe not NXT, but certainly the main roster). How much autonomy do you think the brand will get to do its own thing and co-exist with other companies like Defiant, or will it just be used as a way to suck talent into the WWE system even sooner?

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Big fan of whatculture and find your insight very good

Are u allowed have a few pints after ur match or do u have a strict diet to follow ???

Did u ever lose your concentration in a match and forget ur spot ??
    Thank you! Appreciate the kind words.

I actually don't drink. Somewhat ridiculously I got really drunk on my 18th birthday and never drank again! I may have the odd glass of win here or there but otherwise it's never really been my thing. I follow a strict diet a lot, but that's been going on for years as well. Bodybuilding/weight-training has been my passion for longer than I can remember. 

And yes! Although that's more because I'm still so new. I've got a lot to learn and a lot of experience to get. Fingers crossed I will.

Serious question. I'm wrestling fan, and know you from that content. Is it frustrating watching the WWE product and knowing its not going to change( Well that's my opinion). Continuous frustration on how characters are portrayed. Lack of long term planning for guys lower down the card. Do you ever lose your mind having to point out serious flaws in the product over and over again?.
    I honestly always approach it with a positive mindset so even though I can critique it, I don't think it's a huge problem but get why others do. If I let it drive me that nuts all the fun would be lost. If nothing else, I'm very lucky to do what I do. Don't have much to complain about!

coolisin wrote: »
    So did you ask the rules boss if any of this was allowed!!
    I'm not sure what this means. Clarify and I shall answer!

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Hey Simon, a few questions for you!

Who would be your dream tag team partner?

You can train for some of the bumps, but what was it like to get pinged with a chair in the back of the head? And how did you stay in performance mode?

You seem to be getting some flak because of starting out with a following from YouTube. How are you staying focused and positive (especially when it comes from other wrestlers - or is that all part and parcel of building stories)?

You've embraced different characters over the years (with Videogamer); ever done acting or is it something that you'd like to pursue? And will we see the wrestler Simon Miller evolve in this way as you become more comfortable in the ring? Reckon you'll ever become a heel?  :D

What else have you on the bucket list that you'd like to try your hand at?
    1) That's a question... So many to mention but in the UK scene I'm a huge of Rampage/Joe Hendry so that would be fun. Non-WWE but Stateside probably Cody Rhodes. In WWE... Rusev!

2) Adrenaline is your friend in wrestling I've learned so while I wasn't prepared for it my body just knew what to do. It's strange! As for the performance aspect, I like to think years of watching wrestling has helped with that but I just went with what felt right. I saw the blood... sell the blood!

3) It's a little frustrating just as while I'm very lucky to have this route to take, I've also worked very hard for this. That doesn't mean I deserve anything, but I didn't take any shortcuts. I trained for 2 years, still train 2-3 times a week, am driving around the country trying to get better. I stay positive regardless, though, because I can't change how people think, only how I act and that's what's important. So they're allowed their opinions. I'm allowed to disagree!

4) I took Theatre Studies in A-Level so I just think I like all that nonsense like the idiot I am. Kinda came to the forefront at VideoGamer and doing that is just all so much fun. I would like to pursue it if the opportunity arose, though. As for being a heel... oh hell yeah!

5) Acting would be on there now it's come up. Otherwise wrestling is my focus at the moment. I realise how much time I need to dedicate to it so from now till whatever the conclusion will be, it's all wrestling!

Virtanen wrote: »
    Simon, welcome to Boards, been a long-time WhatCulture fan, and still watch Ups and Downs to keep up-to-date with Raw and SmackDown

Do you think that NXT UK is going to help or hinder the indie wrestling scene in the UK and Ireland? We've seen plenty of wrestlers do well outside the WWE and then become 'sterilized' once they enter the WWE system (maybe not NXT, but certainly the main roster). How much autonomy do you think the brand will get to do its own thing and co-exist with other companies like Defiant, or will it just be used as a way to suck talent into the WWE system even sooner?
    Appreciate that. Thank you for watching!

I think with WOS the two together are just going to make the UK and Irish indie scene even better than it already is. It brings more awareness to wrestling over here, and if that makes more people fans and more people go to watch live shows... we all win! I'm sure there's a thought on WWE's end that they would rather have talented people on their books than out there kicking ass, but it's great for the wrestlers and, really, for the fans, too. So I'm very excited to see where it all goes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm a fan of yours, why? here's why!

Your a big ball of positivity and that is great because there is already too much negativity when it comes to talking about PW, I mean I and the others here on Boards.ie's PW board do love a good moan but when your listening to others it really does help to hear people who seem to like what they are talking about.

While mentioning boards PW my co mod there is actually one of the main boys behind OSW review. Ever watched any of that? Would you ever have any interest in cross promotion or just having a laugh together on a cast? (note I in no way represent Jay ha)

Actually along those lines which other youtubers do you like to watch? For example Maffhew from Botchmania (who has actually done a few OSWs) or I'm not sure how I randomly stumbled over them but I often put Steve & Larson (two American lads) on in the background while I do stuff and oddly the other day they were asked to put together a roster of youtubers and you were on of the first people mentioned.

There is a head slapper (scratcher) for you as your such a positive person... who would you not want to work with?

Now for a few more random questions

How many Adams are there at Whatculture? they seem to always make light of there being so many but is it only two now (Cleary and Wilburn or something similar) with what were the more notable ones in terms of wrestling content being long gone. 2 does not seem like a lot to continue to make such comments so there must be more.

why not be cheeky with this one... fancy sticking around and posting on the pro wrestling boards?

now that you have awkwardly avoided giving a positive answer to that, have you ever posted much on such forums? if so dare you say where?

Any people your currently working or training with that you'd tip for big things?

Who is your favorite Irish Wrestler?

Favorite list you ever had to make on WC? or random piece of knowledge you came across when making one?

Okay thats probably enough from me :) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Do you plan on working in the States eventually?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Great to have this opportunity

I stopped going out of my way to see raw and smackdown but I watch ups and downs religiously to keep up-to-date with WWE

How far do you think you'll progress with wrestling?

I work in TV and I think you are one of the most natural presenters going would you ever try and break into main stream TV presenting?

How do you select your move set? Or is that something that someone guides you through from seeing you train and work?

Do you have a favourite move? To see done and to do yourself

How did the slap head come around?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What is your opinion on :
    A. Reigns
    B. Alexa
    C. Becky
    D. The Miz

Has there been anyone you've tried to emulate until you were advised against it, maybe due to their reputation?

You mention Joe Hendry. How do you think he'll do on Impact?

Can you do a 450? :)

What move would you choose as your finisher?

• Advertisement

I'm a fan of yours, why? here's why!

Your a big ball of positivity and that is great because there is already too much negativity when it comes to talking about PW, I mean I and the others here on Boards.ie's PW board do love a good moan but when your listening to others it really does help to hear people who seem to like what they are talking about.

While mentioning boards PW my co mod there is actually one of the main boys behind OSW review. Ever watched any of that? Would you ever have any interest in cross promotion or just having a laugh together on a cast? (note I in no way represent Jay ha)

Actually along those lines which other youtubers do you like to watch? For example Maffhew from Botchmania (who has actually done a few OSWs) or I'm not sure how I randomly stumbled over them but I often put Steve & Larson (two American lads) on in the background while I do stuff and oddly the other day they were asked to put together a roster of youtubers and you were on of the first people mentioned.

There is a head slapper (scratcher) for you as your such a positive person... who would you not want to work with?

Now for a few more random questions

How many Adams are there at Whatculture? they seem to always make light of there being so many but is it only two now (Cleary and Wilburn or something similar) with what were the more notable ones in terms of wrestling content being long gone. 2 does not seem like a lot to continue to make such comments so there must be more.

why not be cheeky with this one... fancy sticking around and posting on the pro wrestling boards?

now that you have awkwardly avoided giving a positive answer to that, have you ever posted much on such forums? if so dare you say where?

Any people your currently working or training with that you'd tip for big things?

Who is your favorite Irish Wrestler?

Favorite list you ever had to make on WC? or random piece of knowledge you came across when making one?

Okay thats probably enough from me :) :pac:
    Thank you! I appreciate that. And I do listen to OSW. Don't we all? I'd be up for any collaboration as long as everyone was up for it. I love stuff like that. Always fun to get involved. I do watch Botchamania as well and consider Maffhew a friend. He's a real good dude. I don't know of Steve and Larson but that's very kind. I'll hunt them down and have a listen.

I don't think there's anyone I wouldn't want to work with. You can learn something from everybody and that's what I need most of right now: experience! So I'd be game for anybody.

There are *loads* of Adams at WhatCulture. There's Nichols, for one,  and probably more besides that. They are everywhere! Will take over the world at some stage, no doubt.

I'd be up for sticking around. I love talking about wrestling, so the more places to do that the better. Point me in the right direction and I shall be there.

I've never really posted on forums but I do frequent them. Squared Circle/Wreddit etc. I just enjoy getting people's takes on things, and I find them a great source for news/keeping up with things. So much happens these days but most boards are happy to get as much as possible up. They're amazing resources. 

There's so many which is why I won't name names because I'll forget someone and feel terrible! Nearly everyone at Knuckelocks - where I train - is incredible, though. Humble me every week!

Sheamus. I always thought he was underrated and never understood the hate. He's been crazy successful and I think is a huge inspiration for non-Americans wanting to make it to WWE.

I would love to answer that but they all blur into one! Let's just say I love them all. I do learn from them every now and then, though, so much that I have to Google it to make sure it's real. I think that's the best part about them. They really do teach you something! I'm biased, of course, but I still think that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement