Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today, Saudi Women Legally Drive!

• 24-06-2018 6:43pm

I thought this was an event worth noting in the Ladies Lounge.

6adx2iS.jpg

Today the Saudi police are handing out roses to women drivers, making history just by driving to the shops. Delighted for them, though there's a very, very, long way to go - it's a great step forward.

Saudi men also win today, as today is the first day they get to roll their eyes and tell jokes about women drivers. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Now all Saudi men need to buy 7 cars for their 7 wives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Candie wrote: »
    I thought this was an event worth noting in the Ladies Lounge.

Today the Saudi police are handing out roses to women drivers, making history just by driving to the shops. Delighted for them, though there's a very, very, long way to go - it's a great step forward.

Saudi men also win today, as today is the first day they get to roll their eyes and tell jokes about women drivers. :)
    I heard on the radio this it's a case of one step forward and two steps back. It's great progress for them but there have been a load of arrests of women's advocates. They still have a looong way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

'One small step for man.....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Really great news for them.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I heard on the radio this it's a case of one step forward and two steps back. It's great progress for them but there have been a load of arrests of women's advocates. They still have a looong way to go.

And there'll definitely be some fallout over this too, I wouldn't be surprised if women drivers weren't targeted on the roads by traditionalists and they amount of accidents will surge - which will then be blamed on the women drivers.

Still though, it is at least a step and I'm pretty sure there are many women in Saudi who are grateful for it such as it is, in a deeply imperfect society with a long, long way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Its fantastic! Its really good, especially because i was nearly wiped out by a 12 year old boy driving his mother to the shop one day in Yanbu.

I admire Qatar Airlines, they sent a flight to the Saudi capital with a 100% Female crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My previous housemate and landlady is from Saudi. She said it's weird being able to drive at home now but her family haven't quite adjusted to the idea that she can! Her dad is always offering her a lift and what not.

Advertisement