Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigdaddy2010

bk wrote: »
    Thing is mobile services can be extremely variable on all networks. It can be great in one area and terrible in the next.

The great thing about Lyca is that they offer a free SIM, so you can simply try it out to see what the reception is like in your area and the places you normally visit.

And if you do sign up to this plan, you can always move after just one month (or sooner) as you aren't in a contract, if you find it doesn't work out.

So really no harm in trying it out.

I've switched from TM and haven't noticed a difference in speeds. But then I'm not a heavy data user (really just for whatsapp, the odd bit of surfing, etc.).

I agree I was with TM, but I've now moved because the really horrible changes they have made in the last two months.

They have started simply cutting people off with no warning, your phone simply goes dead!

This was seemingly first discovered when an elderly lady who was in hospital, sick, had her phone cut off, without warning or explanation!!!

They similarly have cut people off when on holidays abroad.

Just go read the comments on the TM forum. The thread about it has 90,000 views and customers are outraged and worried about it. Yet TM customer support have responded to it terribly and they still haven't changed this terrible new policy. They just keep saying that it is their new "security" policy and that they can't discuss it!

They also actually increased roaming fees last month due to the new EU roaming rules! Everyone thinks this change at least goes against the heart of the EU roaming directive, if not the law (and people are certainly questioning that).

Given this situation, I just can't support them any more and I can't risk my elderly parents and gf being on Tesco Mobile and them just cutting them off without warning. So I'm moving everyone off them.

I was using the Tesco clubcard vouchers for it too, now I'll have them use them on something else.

In fairness that is strange behaviour regarding the elderly lady in the hospital. How many people have actually been affected by this situation. 90k views? Sure that means very little because people found it interesting to read but 90000 were not affected.

Its great to see competition in the mobile market in IRL. Think we get better value for money compared to customers in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

How can I port my number to lycra mobile and also how do I set up the auto renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭The lips

I would be willing to give the slow 3g speeds a trial, does they support bluetooth tethering of the 15gb 3g?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Used this network on a spare phone when was in the UK in 2007. Absolutely fantastic at the time ringing home at the time for an hour and and costing less than a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Sim ordered.
    Does anyone know how prompt they are at posting them out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

biebiebie wrote: »
    I'm about to order a sim and see there's a €5 bonus if you fill out referred by a friend.

Are we allowed on boards to use the referral option to get the €5 added to our accounts?

Thanks biebiebie, but I don't think we are allowed to do referrals on this forum.
    Skerries wrote: »
    does this include ID Mobile?

No, ID mobile is on the actual Three network and has 4G.
    In fairness that is strange behaviour regarding the elderly lady in the hospital. How many people have actually been affected by this situation. 90k views? Sure that means very little because people found it interesting to read but 90000 were not affected.

Numerous people have been cut off (phone simply stops working) without any warning or notification. TM are saying this is a new "security" procedure, but they won't detail what that actually means and who might be effected.

What worries me most about it, is that despite their customers being incredibly upset about this and their social network accounts (boards, twitter, etc.) on fire with angry customers, they seem to be doing nothing to fix it. To either get rid of or properly explain what this policy. It almost feels like they don't care that they are making their customers angry and driving them away. It makes me wonder if they don't care about the Irish market anymore and are simply running it down.

I previously saw similar carry on at o2 before they got bought by Three.
    kala85 wrote: »
    How can I port my number to lycra mobile and also how do I set up the auto renewal

https://account.lycamobile.ie/portinrequest_irl.aspx?lang=en&affiliatedcode=0

For auto-renewal, when buying the bundle, there is a check box you can tick for it to purchase that package every month.
    Sim ordered.
    Does anyone know how prompt they are at posting them out?

I got mine very quickly, 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK and US

Not seeing this for the Ireland Plus plan, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm sure I'm being dense but my brain is hurting from that website. Where do you see that Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK? That would be great for myself and my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Data roaming is a big mess with Lycamobile, see this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057438222

Also pay attention to their terms and conditions:

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/termsandconditions
    If you do not use your SIM Card to make a voice call, or send a message or data, or if you do not purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services, for a period of ninety (90) days from the date you registered or activated your Account or your last use of the Services (whichever is later), Lycamobile will contact you by SMS or e-mail advising you that your SIM Card will be deactivated. Lycamobile will then provide you with an additional thirty (30) days to make a voice call, send a message or data, or purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services.

If you do not make a voice call, send a message or data, or purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services within the additional thirty (30) day period, your SIM Card will be deactivated. If the SIM Card is deactivated, your specific telephone number will be reallocated to another Customer, you will not be able to access or use the Services, and you will not be entitled to a refund of any credit balance in your Account.

From 5 August 2014 any new top up credit shall expire ninety [90] days from the date of top-up or recharge.

soirish wrote: »
    Data roaming is a big mess with Lycamobile, see this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057438222

Also pay attention to their terms and conditions:

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/termsandconditions

So you have to use either voice or text or data within120 days before the sim is deactivated, and you get a reminder after 90 days of inactivity, 30 days in advance of deactivation.

Seems fair enough to me.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm being dense but my brain is hurting from that website. Where do you see that Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK? That would be great for myself and my wife.

The link is in post #1
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card

degsie wrote: »
    Not seeing this for the Ireland Plus plan, or am I missing something?

Yep Ireland Plus Plan does qualify for voice and text roaming.
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The sim cards they supply, are they the ones that you can pop out to make full size, mini etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dunnerc

can you tether with this deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

MarkR wrote: »
    The sim cards they supply, are they the ones that you can pop out to make full size, mini etc?

It looks like you buy it you choose your sim type

https://account.lycamobile.ie/getsim/simwithplan.aspx?lang=EN&BundleCode=510&affiliatedcode=0

I chose nano sim although my current phone is micro. Think I have a converter somewhere so that makes it easier to size up rather than size down when I buy a newer phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MarkR wrote: »
    SteM wrote: »

If you choose Nano SIM, they send you a SIM that is all three, standard, micro and nano, you simply pop-it out to the size you need.

I suspect if you select micro sim, you might get an older dedicated micro SIM. I recommend everyone just select nano sim and pop-it out at the size you actually need. Would make is easier if you upgrade your phone in future to nano sim, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

The lips wrote: »
    I would be willing to give the slow 3g speeds a trial, does they support bluetooth tethering of the 15gb 3g?

Tethering is detected and blocked

Speedtests aren't any useful way of measuring if the network is fast or slow because those tools like to report the peak speed the connection reaches. Lyca speed bounces between fast and slow every few seconds

If you choose Nano SIM, they send you a SIM that is all three, standard, micro and nano, you simply pop-it out to the size you need.

I suspect if you select micro sim, you might get an older dedicated micro SIM. I recommend everyone just select nano sim and pop-it out at the size you actually need. Would make is easier if you upgrade your phone in future to nano sim, etc.

Excellent bk, that's what I hoping for.
    My plan b was to search at home for a converter to upsize to micro, but when you go looking for those things you can never find them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

That seems very good 20 GB I listen to radio on line seems ideal ... interested to know is this just month contract ...if you changed to them ..keeping your number and your were not happy after a month is there much hassle going back to old network provider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Excellent bk, that's what I hoping for.
    My plan b was to search at home for a converter to upsize to micro, but when you go looking for those things you can never find them! :D

It'll be in THE drawer.

That seems very good 20 GB I listen to radio on line seems ideal ... interested to know is this just month contract ...if you changed to them ..keeping your number and your were not happy after a month is there much hassle going back to old network provider

Very easy to move as their isn't any contract.

Just get a SIM from the company you want to move too (i.e. move back to Tesco) and then transfer your number from lyca to the new SIM. Shouldn't take more then 10 minutes.

Obviously if you are moving to a contract, there maybe more things to do, though I typically recommend people to stay away from contracts.

What's happens if you use up your monthly data allowance before the 30 days? I'm specifically looking at cheaper bundles.

Does your data connection stop working, and wait for you to buy more data?
    Or will it automatically eat into whatever balance of credit you have on your account?
    Or does it just get throttled speed wise and continue to work?

What's happens if you use up your monthly data allowance before the 30 days? I'm specifically looking at cheaper bundles.

Does your data connection stop working, and wait for you to buy more data?
    Or will it automatically eat into whatever balance of credit you have on your account?
    Or does it just get throttled speed wise and continue to work?

Sorry, I'm not sure, I think you should contact and ask Lyca. However I'd guess that it is the second option, eat into any credit that is there and then stop working.

BTW modern Android and Apple smartphones can be set to notify you when you are approaching a certain amount of set data used per month. That could help avoid this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Do they have webtexting?

If you plan on roaming, do you get a different sim or is the one with the roaming offer the same?

Sorry, I'm not sure, I think you should contact and ask Lyca. However I'd guess that it is the second option, eat into any credit that is there and then stop working.

BTW modern Android and Apple smartphones can be set to notify you when you are approaching a certain amount of set data used per month. That could help avoid this.

Yep use that currently, but was thinking of some less tech savvy people I know ;)

Another plus..

How much does it cost to access the voicemail?
    Your Lycamobile Voicemail service has been automatically activated.

To access your voicemail from your Lycamobile in Ireland 171. Calls to access the voicemail are absolutely free.

Okay found the answer to my monthly data allowance question.

Lycamobile bundles are valid for 30 days from the date of purchase. The bundle will be renewed after 30 days when enough account balance is available (or will be taken from the card if you buy through online). Usage beyond the limit/ after bundle expiry will be charged at standard rate. In bundle data usage is rounded up and charged in 1KB increments. Once the data allowance of a bundle has been fully used, additional data usage will be charged at €0.09/MB.

Lycamobile bundles are valid for 30 days from the date of purchase. The bundle will be renewed after 30 days when enough account balance is available (or will be taken from the card if you buy through online).

I assume this will happen only if you have auto-renew set when buying the bundle. Otherwise that tick box wouldn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

terrydel wrote:
    Do they have webtexting?

No they dont.

Advertisement