Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Autumn 2019 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,432 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wednesday showing more white gold promise this morning with that low pressure to the northwest sliding in to cold air over the country.

One to watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Trending on the cool side.

anim_ezz5.gif

anim_hpi2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Trending milder again. Definitely would think by late November mild muck will return. Mid month looks transitional after a brief colder interlude

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

haha!

A bit of an outlier, look at the control run compared to the operational run!

gefsens850Dublin0.png?w=800&h=600&mode=stretch&quality=40&colors=128&cb=2019111130

• Advertisement

Whats the difference between a control run and an operational run? Which is the most valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

pauldry wrote: »
    Whats the difference between a control run and an operational run? Which is the most valid?

Control = low res run with initial conditions matching current data
    Ensemble = multiple low res runs with initial conditions slightly modified from current data
    Op = highest res run with initial conditions matching current data.

The control run is there to signify whether any ensemble variations are due to the initial conditions being different, or the resolution being different.

In other words, if the Control varies from the Op, then that means the model resolution had an effect on the outcomes, which means less reliability can be asserted in any ensemble outcomes.

You lost me on Control =....

All I really need to know is is that control line signifying mild more reliable than the operational signifying cold?

pauldry wrote: »
    You lost me on Control =....

All I really need to know is is that control line signifying mild more reliable than the operational signifying cold?

No. The operational is the more "reliable" one as a very generalised rule of thumb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think the general trend is still for a milder end to November, these change day by day but it is certainly looking more realistic that we will be going into a milder phase for the last 10 days of the month.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2019-11-11&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM keeping it cold out to +240 hrs and showing some very cold charts early days of next week with widespread sharp frosts, see 2m -5.0C / -6.0C temps showing up for next Tues and Weds mornings in the NW with some very low day time temps also. Of course far off and changes could happen .

anim_cna9.gif

UHFmYJ6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Starting to get a more definitive trend towards milder conditions now though looks like the mildest conditions will stay to our south and east so average temps or slightly above average by this time next week. This is weather world so a long way off. Due to the high latitude blocking, I feel that it either may change again or be a very temporary push of milder conditions. All the while, remaining wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Starting to get a more definitive trend towards milder conditions now though looks like the mildest conditions will stay to our south and east so average temps or slightly above average by this time next week. This is weather world so a long way off. Due to the high latitude blocking, I feel that it either may change again or be a very temporary push of milder conditions. All the while, remaining wet.

Much rain?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at this stage I don't mind some milder conditions. The past 3 weeks of cold, cold rain has been very unpleasant, however looks like there is no end to unsettled conditions with cold rain and downpours being replaced by mild rain and downpours. Autumn will continue on a wet note right to the end in what has to be one of the most unpleasant and wettest Autumns in my lifetime!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Much rain?

Mainly the showery variety for the next week besides the odd band of rain like during the weekend. Latest models show a low circulating around Ireland this time next week which would deliver a good bit of rain again to all and further risk of flooding although for some, it doesn't take much rain for flooding at this point.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    at this stage I don't mind some milder conditions. The past 3 weeks of cold, cold rain has been very unpleasant, however looks like there is no end to unsettled conditions with cold rain and downpours being replaced by mild rain and downpours. Autumn will continue on a wet note right to the end in what has to be one of the most unpleasant and wettest Autumns in my lifetime!

I much prefer it to be mild and wet than cold and wet but some drier conditions are necessary at this point.

Mainly the showery variety for the next week besides the odd band of rain like during the weekend. Latest models show a low circulating around Ireland this time next week which would deliver a good bit of rain again to all and further risk of flooding although for some, it doesn't take much rain for flooding at this point.

I much prefer it to be mild and wet than cold and wet but some drier conditions are necessary at this point.

Was looking at the at deep low sryanbruen, ECM was showing it a couple of days ago for the W coast as a lively storm and then dropped it completely and now back again, it may take time to resolve its track and strength but one to watch.

YWJs3cX.png

Xno29FK.png

zgaQGEh.png

at this stage the weather I want to see the most in these FI charts is 2 weeks of dazzling sunshine with very cold and frosty nights and foggy mornings, something to dry the earth out a little. Unfortunately there is nothing of the sort looking up to a month ahead.

This is 8 days out but it shows how potentially fluid the outlook is in the medium term. Center this LP a 250 miles east and the country is on the cold side in a potent northerly flow. All depends on the strength of the ridge to the west. There is a lot up for grabs in the next couple of weeks. A nudge here or there:cool:

gfs-0-192.png?6

Always get excited when I see your name in a post Kermit.

Was looking at the Low myself but that looks a nowcast situation. Id imagine we will see a lot of precipitation from that one. Possibly 40mm

the return to mild begins over the next few days as a milder trend begins, in about a weeks time temperatures recover to normal and then perhaps going several degree's above normal into the final week of November. Uppers going from -5 currently to about +2 or +3 which could get us back into the low teens. Final 10 days of November also look very wet indeed with no shortage of rainfall.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2019-11-14&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

• Advertisement

Is there a similar ensemble chart for wind speed and gusts predictions?

Never mind, found it on that site:

ens_image.php?geoid=141656&var=206&run=6&date=2019-11-14&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

I can handle cycling in the rain, but not if it's as windy as it has been over the last couple of weeks. This morning I had a lovely 10m/s headwind the whole way :cries:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A very mild outlook alright.

National Outlook

Outlook is for colder than normal conditions to continue over the weekend and for the early days of next week with daytime temperatures in single figures and frosts most night.

Cold and frosty on Friday night with temperatures falling to between 0 and -3 Celsius inland with a hard frost and patchy mist and fog also.

Saturday: a cold bright start with frost clear, but fog may linger in places into the afternoon. Thickening cloud will bring rain into western counties in the afternoon but the eastern half of the country will hold generally dry. Highs of 4 to 8 degrees Celsius.
    Frost in some eastern areas on Saturday night cloudier with rain at times further west.

Sunday: Cold with scattered outbreaks of rain for a time on Sunday gradually giving way to drier brighter conditions with some sunny breaks in the afternoon. High of 6 to 8 degrees Celsius in moderate northerly breezes, fresh on exposed coasts.
    Cold and frosty on Sunday night with patchy mist and fog also with overnight lows of 0 to -3 degrees Celsius.

Monday and Tuesday: Latest indications are for cold conditions through Monday and Tuesday, bright and dry for many on Monday but some showers possible near the east coast. Very frosty for a time early Monday night but cloud and rain moving in off the Atlantic to affect western counties by Tuesday morning, extending eastwards during the day.

Latest indications suggest unsettled and cold conditions through mid-week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is 8 days out but it shows how potentially fluid the outlook is in the medium term. Center this LP a 250 miles east and the country is on the cold side in a potent northerly flow. All depends on the strength of the ridge to the west. There is a lot up for grabs in the next couple of weeks. A nudge here or there:cool:

gfs-0-192.png?6

Does anyone else look at a chart like this at this time of year and just mentally fantasise about that yellow ridge in the Atlantic stretching northward and an anticyclone breaking off over Greenland in the next frames of the run, like a blob of goo in a lava lamp? :D:D:D

tumblr_omonkoM8aF1w583o2o1_400.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Temperatures up to +16 degrees in places like krakow (Poland) next week, Vienna 14 degrees.....Moscow is even around+5 degrees over the coming week. That seems crazy mild for the time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The 12z GFS shows some ridging attempting to establish itself from Iceland towards Greenland at 240h, before breaking down and being pushed away during the rest of the run. The ECM obviously stops at 240, but is this wishful thinking or is it leaving the door slightly more ajar than the GFS, given the ridging over Europe stretching further north into Scandinavia, and a larger intrusion of higher pressure into the Northwest Atlantic beyond Iceland? I think what's making it look so different in particular is that the LP centred over us at 240h is a good bit shallower on the ECM, and as such you can see the Euro high attempting to wrap the whole way around it and join the Atlantic ridge to its west.

It's only a very slight difference but the ECM chart has "interesting times ahead" written all over it far more so than the GFS. Confirmation bias or something worth keeping an eye on?

Comparison:

ECM:

t2gG39y.png

GFS:

EvlbOUw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

National Outlook

Outlook is for colder than normal conditions to continue over the weekend and for the early days of next week with daytime temperatures in single figures and frosts most night.

Cold and frosty on Friday night with temperatures falling to between 0 and -3 Celsius inland with a hard frost and patchy mist and fog also.

Saturday: a cold bright start with frost clear, but fog may linger in places into the afternoon. Thickening cloud will bring rain into western counties in the afternoon but the eastern half of the country will hold generally dry. Highs of 4 to 8 degrees Celsius.
    Frost in some eastern areas on Saturday night cloudier with rain at times further west.

Sunday: Cold with scattered outbreaks of rain for a time on Sunday gradually giving way to drier brighter conditions with some sunny breaks in the afternoon. High of 6 to 8 degrees Celsius in moderate northerly breezes, fresh on exposed coasts.
    Cold and frosty on Sunday night with patchy mist and fog also with overnight lows of 0 to -3 degrees Celsius.

Monday and Tuesday: Latest indications are for cold conditions through Monday and Tuesday, bright and dry for many on Monday but some showers possible near the east coast. Very frosty for a time early Monday night but cloud and rain moving in off the Atlantic to affect western counties by Tuesday morning, extending eastwards during the day.

Latest indications suggest unsettled and cold conditions through mid-week

See I think you might be confusing the real world "outlook" with the "fantasy" outlook that is the staple of this thread.
    ;)
    I always find it amusing when you see posters give glum reactions about mild FI charts when the actual weather and real world outlook (4-5days) could be the type of weather they purport to find in FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Does anyone else look at a chart like this at this time of year and just mentally fantasise about that yellow ridge in the Atlantic stretching northward and an anticyclone breaking off over Greenland in the next frames of the run, like a blob of goo in a lava lamp? :D:D:D

NO !!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Neddyusa wrote: »
    See I think you might be confusing the real world "outlook" with the "fantasy" outlook that is the staple of this thread.
    ;)
    I always find it amusing when you see posters give glum reactions about mild FI charts when the actual weather and real world outlook (4-5days) could be the type of weather they purport to find in FI.

Well said neddy your interpretation of the long rang charts have always being 100 Percent correct so far on here keep it up

• Advertisement

The very mild stuff is showing up about 10 days away in FI, and because this is FI, the very mild may not happen, it's not guaranteed. The Short term (over next 4 to 5 days) remains cold, but probably slightly less cold by day than it has been recently (nights could be colder with clear skies). The uppers start rising slowly from Saturday.

Advertisement