Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭maamom

Has anyone who has gotten their OH or someone else from the household to sign up for the new offer and cancelled their own had any issues down the line during the changeover.

I remember when changing address they had to switch on or activate virgin media in the new house first, it wasn't just a case of plug in and away you go, so just wondering if there would be an issue if I am cancelling and signing up simultaneously.

Price due to double this month and no room to negotiate when I called to see if they would include sky sports with my package as with the new deal so its either the above or switching for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

maamom wrote: »
    Has anyone who has gotten their OH or someone else from the household to sign up for the new offer and cancelled their own had any issues down the line during the changeover.

I remember when changing address they had to switch on or activate virgin media in the new house first, it wasn't just a case of plug in and away you go, so just wondering if there would be an issue if I am cancelling and signing up simultaneously.

Price due to double this month and no room to negotiate when I called to see if they would include sky sports with my package as with the new deal so its either the above or switching for me.

I set up new box just there. Have 27 days overlap where I’ve to pay my bill as well as the wife’s. Worth it over the course of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SamShadow

Is there an email I can use to try and get a cancellation deal from Virgin Media?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

SamShadow wrote: »
    Is there an email I can use to try and get a cancellation deal from Virgin Media?

You would have to call 1908, the answering machine will put you into one of their sales team when you choose the option to cancel. Tell them you're cancelling because it's too expensive etc and they will offer you a deal, probably 6 months half price seems to be the best they'll do at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

depends ive gotten 9mo this year just for bb360, as otherwise always best been 6mo for last couple years when quite few reported getting 9mo over the years. but it took down to cancellation route - as siro is up in my area and they know it so was set to really move, but got a call back few weeks later about equipment back etc and deal was brought up. - guess depends really how long one is with VM, area their in as Siro is catching up, plus what you pay in full.

as imagine they can cut few people lose, but if bigger numbers opt out, they def can come up with better offers to keep existing customers, as believe its harder to get new customers, then to keep old ones.

As was said before they do make up a lot of stuff like ur usage might be low, or other nonsense, but its really down to bargaining to either move or get stuck with them, as even at 6mo, they come as most expensive ISP for BB nowadays, and once that 6mo half period is gone the full price heat does feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 SamShadow

Thanks, there was a 20 min wait on the phone so I WhatsApp'ed them.

Didn't even get any real price reduction; they just offered a re-jig of the package: 240Mb to 500Mb and addition of Irish mobiles to the home phone package but a reduction of the channels to 50 or the same thing for a fiver less but 250Mb broadband! At best I'm only getting 50Mb from the speed tests so there's no much benefit to getting 500Mb.

Might try the number at a less busy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

SamShadow wrote: »
    Thanks, there was a 20 min wait on the phone so I WhatsApp'ed them.

Didn't even get any real price reduction; they just offered a re-jig of the package: 240Mb to 500Mb and addition of Irish mobiles to the home phone package but a reduction of the channels to 50 or the same thing for a fiver less but 250Mb broadband! At best I'm only getting 50Mb from the speed tests so there's no much benefit to getting 500Mb.

Might try the number at a less busy time.

Last year they changed my TV with out telling me when I agreed to a new deal with them. Ended up flicking the TV channels and was like Where's my music?, called them turns out they downgraded my TV with out telling me to give me a discount.

In the end they upgraded my deal to all the TV for the same price

However I am now going to sky this year as cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Currently on 360Meg Broadband and the phone deal currently Paying €67 was on a half price deal for last 9 months though so was paying €37.50 most they would offer me was an upgrade to 500meg with no home phone with €15 off so paying €54 a month for 9 months then €69 a month....

Kept telling them sky offering Sky Q with all the channels with Netflix and Boxsets along with 100 meg broadband for just €54 a month.
    Ended up cancelling anyway so will see do they revert back with a better deal...

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

VM is causing me headache - was telling how i got 9mo deal, yeah yesterday they pulled the plug on me, got told on whatsapp today its because ive cancelled :cool:

had to ring 1908 rep - tried to push new deal on me, after ive told i already had one in place to stick with.

waiting now on contract to see if all details will be honored :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Got offered 9 months half price today. 240mb with home phone. €29.50 for 9 months. Just said I want to cancel and they made me the offer straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Amouar

Got offered 9 months half price today. 240mb with home phone. €29.50 for 9 months. Just said I want to cancel and they made me the offer straight away.

Did you get the same offer in the past? The best I could get this time was 6 months half price, but I was getting a mix of 6 months and 9 months half price for the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Amouar wrote: »
    Did you get the same offer in the past? The best I could get this time was 6 months half price, but I was getting a mix of 6 months and 9 months half price for the past 5 years.

My previous offers were always 6 months half price. I was expecting the same again or worse. Told them I was moving to Sky as I wasn't getting good speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

Change in terms of contract?

CONTRACT CHANGE: Virgin Mobile plans will soon include calls to 1850, 1890, 0818 and 076 numbers and the out of bundle rates for 1850 will change. For more info visit virginmedia.ie/nongeo. This change takes effect on November 28th 2019.

Could I get out of contract with this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Treppen wrote: »

CONTRACT CHANGE: Virgin Mobile plans will soon include calls to 1850, 1890, 0818 and 076 numbers and the out of bundle rates for 1850 will change. For more info visit virginmedia.ie/nongeo. This change takes effect on November 28th 2019.

Doubt it- they're giving you something free- it doesn't affect your contract with them?

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Pushed and only got 6 months half price. I've had numerous 6 month half price deals and recently a 9 months half price deal. They gave me the spiel that they're not doing 6/9 month deals anymore. Blah blah blah, lots of excuses... hold please.... 6 months half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Treppen wrote: »

No Chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

have €30 off for 12 months - going up to €99 in December for Phone, 300mb and TV (Basic no sports or movies)

looking to get the 500mb broadband happy with the rest - anyone go t a decent deal off the back of this offer from last year?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Was offered 15 off my Broadband and Phone package for 6 months. Obviously I refused and then offered 15 off for 9 months which I also refused. Asked could I get half price for 6 months was put on hold for a minute then the operator said ok you can have 6 months at half price. Happy enough with that as it’s the same deal I got last year. No Siro here so it’s easily the best service on offer.

well i got stung after cancelling and getting call back from VM with offer for 9mo half price on existing contract, they still cancelled which resulted in me having to call em back and then getting new contract, they bumped me to 500mb as well- no clue whats that about, anyhow
    this resulted in day being offline, then checked account and sure enough they charged me for a full month, second call made and its their system at fault and i should get balanced it out next month- which prob might or will add to contract being extended now past a year.

thou most mad about is that they never bothered to send in contract with the deal in place was told day or two but been 3 days and dont imagine it will land over weekend into my email.

now the 1908 ? will be paid line which will be total rip off, as tried whatsapp in recent days and whoever sits in india or who knows cant help with anything.

i might be naive but they are breaking rules/law when it comes to business and as i see it im the one carrying the cost, even thou every issue stems from their side.

as much as they are reliable on connection and general fixes, but seems they trimmed support to the bone, where no one cares much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

I've been getting 6 and 9 month deals the last few years. I rang and they wouldn't offer me that again and offered 15 off for 6 months. I said no and to go ahead and cancel.

Am going to sign up with Sky as it's so much cheaper at 35pm. My neighbour has Sky broadband and gets 50mbps broadband and that will do fine. Works out at €420 for the year as opposed to €618. And Virgin will probably add another €5 per month to that later in the year like they always do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Was offered 15 off my Broadband and Phone package for 6 months. Obviously I refused and then offered 15 off for 9 months which I also refused. Asked could I get half price for 6 months was put on hold for a minute then the operator said ok you can have 6 months at half price. Happy enough with that as it’s the same deal I got last year. No Siro here so it’s easily the best service on offer.
    Got the same offer earlier in the week; called up to cancel, said I was going to SIRO and might even be back with Virgin again in a year's time, but wanted the one year introductory offer, etc... The guy offered me 6 months 1/2 price (€58 > €29) first time, said I wouldn't get a better offer from Virgin so agreed to it. Call told 5 mins total, better than previous years haggling and messing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Thanks All. 55 a month for BB TV and Sky Sport for 12 months is attractive. Even if the Horizon Box is crap.

Is this deal gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Yes, finished last Weds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

jay0109 wrote: »
    Yes, finished last Weds

Shame, moving house in next few weeks and only noticed the deal on Wed evening, wonder when the next iteration will come online - current offering ain't up much!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Anyone got a 9month half price deal at all recently??

Got it last year and best they offered me is 6month this time around. I've indicated that I'm going to cancel on Monday, I'm in my last month.

Will possibly just sign up again with a different name and account of a housemate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Anyone got a 9month half price deal at all recently??

Got it last year and best they offered me is 6month this time around. I've indicated that I'm going to cancel on Monday, I'm in my last month.

Will possibly just sign up again with a different name and account of a housemate

Yea I recently got 9 months half price for BB and phone.
    I had to go through with my cancellation and they rang me about a week later. I wasn't due to be cut off for another two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Letter in the post this morning, the usual annual €3.50 price increase coming in 2020. Wonder at what stage they'll stop doing this, price has probably doubled over the last few years and the speed increases are just diminishing returns at this stage.

Hopefully they'll start offering a few 9 month half-price deals now the yearly increase is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭CoBo55

DubDJ wrote: »
    Letter in the post this morning, the usual annual €3.50 price increase coming in 2020. Wonder at what stage they'll stop doing this, price has probably doubled over the last few years and the speed increases are just diminishing returns at this stage.

Hopefully they'll start offering a few 9 month half-price deals now the yearly increase is here.

They're taking the absolute urine at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Hello
    The price of your broadband is going up in 2020
    We're getting in touch to let you know that from 1st January 2020 the price of your broadband will increase by €3.50 a month.

To help you understand what this means FAQ's are available at virginmedia.ie/change.
    Calls to Non Geographic numbers will become part of your home phone bundle
    Following a regulatory change, calls to some Non Geographic numbers (those beginning with 1850, 1890, 0818 and 076) will become part of your inclusive home phone minutes. Currently calls to these numbers are not included in your home phone bundle. Out of bundle charges for calls to 1850 numbers will also change.

Bye bye virgin !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Pushed and only got 6 months half price. I've had numerous 6 month half price deals and recently a 9 months half price deal. They gave me the spiel that they're not doing 6/9 month deals anymore. Blah blah blah, lots of excuses... hold please.... 6 months half price.

Got cancellation thru..did not offer any half price

Advertisement