Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw that today, there were no cases, just loose cans. This happened with grolsch a while back so I grabbed an empty box that had wine in it (sturdy) and put my cans in it and a few in my bag.

Sometimes the offers dissappear online but are still in store, I presume to stop people just buying out rakes of trays of beer to get delivered easily while the intention is to get people in the shop doing a full shop.

Might be time to put my first complaint in with https://www.asai.ie/

I suppose if it was available online and not instore they did nothing wrong. Normally they have full page adverts in the paper for these crate deals but didn't this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,372 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I suppose if it was available online and not instore they did nothing wrong.
    Yeah, I am not sure if its a legit complaint but worth a try. The complaint is they falsely advertise a start/end date and pull it early, they have been doing it for ages, so even if they argue the price can be different instore they are pulling early, and they have most certainly not ran out of the product. This offer was due to end on the 16th, I tend to cut & paste the dates here partly to keep track of this dodgy practise.

Those tubs of quality street, heroes etc were reduced and said to be until 24th dec (or at least one was), then pulled. Now they are dearer no doubt due to halloween. They piss people off, I used to use the dates to plan when to buy but it cannot be trusted at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dunnes Enniskillen Smirnoff Red 700ml £12.50

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭sceach16

I suppose if it was available online and not instore they did nothing wrong. Normally they have full page adverts in the paper for these crate deals but didn't this time around.

Not just online. Tesco Malahide which is a small/local one had them a 20 for 24 Friday. Didn't have car.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hard to get any decent 330ml canned beer in Ireland.

Brewdog, O'Haras, Rascals, White Hag and many others do 330 cans.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Brewdog, O'Haras, Rascals, White Hag and many others do 330 cans.

Oh yeh i know the craft beers do it. Can be pricy and a bit of a lucky dip in terms of taste.

I meant main stream beers. Heineken etc. They do it in the North though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I had the worst experience of my life in Tesco midelton last Saturday trying to get the 24 cans of carlsberg for €20.
    Yellow label on the shelf stated the offer and there was only one crate of individual cans left so I picked it up and put it in the trolley with the rest of the shopping.
    I'm trying to keep the small one happy walking around while my wife pays and she calls me over and says she's being charged €126 but she doesn't have €100 of shopping so I ask the cashier if the offer has come off, he says no, he's only a trainee so he asks the "more experienced" cashier behind him and she says she'll have to check,
    So I bring her to the empty shelf and show her the label with the offer,
    As I'm showing her, a store worker arrives with a combi full of beer but no carlsberg so she asks him about the offer and he says they're all sold out so I say I know I have the last crate at the till, he tells the cashier you have to give it to him.
    She calls a manager who looks at it for another 5 minutes and has to call another manager he tells him to honour the price.
    The lady closes her till and brings up our receipt and says she's taken the carlsberg out but the bill is still €106 without the carlsberg so she adds the €20 and it goes back up to €126!!!!
    Now the queues are huge behind us and we're mortified but feck that I'm not leaving it,
    She asks another cashier walking past to have a look who just scans the crate barcode and brings the bill even higher!!
    My wife says no this isn't good enough and she empties all her shopping out and tells the lady to rescan everything so the bill comes to €66 and she still can't get her head around adding the €20 for the carlsberg and starts telling me "ok so I'll honour the €1.99 a can" which is also printed on the label and I say no because that will be almost €48 instead of €20 so she has to call over the manager again who is on his own till and he asks me how much is €20 divided by 24 so I tell him .83 and he puts it in manually and says I have 24 of them.
    35 minutes later with a tired 18 month old, a pissed off wife, queues of people down the aisles but I got my beer.
    Headless chickens would be a compliment.
    Won't be going back any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Colking

I had the worst experience of my life in Tesco midelton last Saturday trying to get the 24 cans of carlsberg for €20.

35 minutes later with a tired 18 month old, a pissed off wife, queues of people down the aisles but I got my beer.

That's enough to turn a man into a Pioneer !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Fair play for persevering, id definitely have caved and just left the beer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭laros

You should have paid the bill in full... Then trotted off to customer service desk tell them you were over charged and let them sort it out... Then hit them for the double the difference on the overcharge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Hogzy wrote: »
    Fair play for persevering, id definitely have caved and just left the beer there.

Definitely fair play for perservering ,i would of left all the shopping there and never return to the shop for as long as i live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I’d have left the whole shopping there. €106 instead of €66 without the drink is mad.

laros wrote: »
    You should have paid the bill in full... Then trotted off to customer service desk tell them you were over charged and let them sort it out... Then hit them for the double the difference on the overcharge.

That was in the back of my head but I had read conflicting reports on here recently whether that was their policy anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

That was in the back of my head but I had read conflicting reports on here recently whether that was their policy anymore?

I dont think it is anymore

Which Tescos was this?

I dont think it is anymore

Which Tescos was this?

Midelton Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Looks like she charged you 3 times for the beer (€20+20+20) on top of the shopping - then again, who knows.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Definitely cut & paste that post into an email and fire it off to Tesco customer service. They'll send you a gift card for the inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Oh yeh i know the craft beers do it. Can be pricy and a bit of a lucky dip in terms of taste.

I meant main stream beers. Heineken etc. They do it in the North though.

You should pop into Aldi and try a can of "The 1079 Project". 33cl and only 89c.
    4.6% and tastes good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    You should pop into Aldi and try a can of "The 1079 Project". 33cl and only 89c.
    4.6% and tastes good.

Yeh its not bad for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Yellow label on the shelf stated the offer and there was only one crate of individual cans left so I picked it up and put it in the trolley with the rest of the shopping.
    I'm trying to keep the small one happy walking around while my wife pays and she calls me over and says she's being charged €126 but she doesn't have €100 of shopping so I ask the cashier if the offer has come off, he says no, he's only a trainee so he asks the "more experienced" cashier behind him and she says she'll have to check,
    So I bring her to the empty shelf and show her the label with the offer,
    As I'm showing her, a store worker arrives with a combi full of beer but no carlsberg so she asks him about the offer and he says they're all sold out so I say I know I have the last crate at the till, he tells the cashier you have to give it to him.
    She calls a manager who looks at it for another 5 minutes and has to call another manager he tells him to honour the price.
    The lady closes her till and brings up our receipt and says she's taken the carlsberg out but the bill is still €106 without the carlsberg so she adds the €20 and it goes back up to €126!!!!
    Now the queues are huge behind us and we're mortified but feck that I'm not leaving it,
    She asks another cashier walking past to have a look who just scans the crate barcode and brings the bill even higher!!
    My wife says no this isn't good enough and she empties all her shopping out and tells the lady to rescan everything so the bill comes to €66 and she still can't get her head around adding the €20 for the carlsberg and starts telling me "ok so I'll honour the €1.99 a can" which is also printed on the label and I say no because that will be almost €48 instead of €20 so she has to call over the manager again who is on his own till and he asks me how much is €20 divided by 24 so I tell him .83 and he puts it in manually and says I have 24 of them.

Great first world problem story that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Hoboo

McCrack wrote: »
    Great first world problem story that

Zero McCraic

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭go4it

@offtopic :ideally , when a can is 1.99 and there's an offer 24 cans for 20 euro, the till software 'knows' you have a qualifying item for an ongoing promotion and applies the discount on the spot.
    If you bring 24 individual cans on top of a slab carton ( 24 singles or 4x6pack with the flimsy neck plastic ring) the till person could be tempted to drag the carton ( with the cans) across the glass-scanning area : maybe you get lucky and it scans first the vertical sensor, catching the barcode from the can; maybe it scans the slab barcode , at a different price ; the person at the till doesn't care...( apologies for the long text )

@ontopic : any good deals on dunnestores? i got some 10 off 40e in the post from them , and wanna use it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,769 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Quackster wrote: »
    Definitely cut & paste that post into an email and fire it off to Tesco customer service. They'll send you a gift card for the inconvenience.

Definitely do this. I emailed tesco before about the "4 for €10" constantly not working and having to walk the cashier down and show her each individual beer and the offer beside it.
    They sent me a gift card with €15 on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Dunnes were doing 10 Euro off any 6 bottles of wine last week , anyone any idea if the deals still running ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭prodsc

cathalj wrote: »
    Dunnes were doing 10 Euro off any 6 bottles of wine last week , anyone any idea if the deals still running ?

Was still being advertised today in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

36 (18 x 2) 440ml (3.8%) cans of Carlsberg in Tesco Farronshoneen Ardkeen, Co. Waterford for €25

Also doing 30 (15 x 2) 440ml Bud and Bud light for €25

All mix and match

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

prodsc wrote: »
    Was still being advertised today in store.

Anyone know what wines are included?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Anywhere with any decent deals on gin?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,731 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Re: the Dunnes wine deal, based on the ad in today's Independent, it is valid until 12th October and applies to ANY 6 bottles of wine or champagne.
    It seems to be instead of the usual 25% back in points or 5% off any 6 bottles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hi can someone recommend a nice bottle of red wine please that u can buy in either duness or Aldi?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement