Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest with Electric Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

With regards to the grant mentioned yesterday. I got a similar (but not as good) offer of a free Hive with Bord Gais and saw this in the T&Cs:

"You acknowledge and agree that we are entitled to any energy credits attributable to the installation of Hive Active Heating in your home under the Irish Government Better Energy Scheme or any replacement similar scheme."

By the way, the deal I got was a free Hive and 4000 Clubcard points when I took out a new Gas & Electricity account with BG for 24 months. Their prices were cheaper than EI.

Tusky wrote: »
    How do Electric Ireland rates compare to other suppliers?

Not as high as SSE, not as cheap as Energia or BG, as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s very easy if you are know how. But if your aren’t competent at diy/electrics there’s always the risk of death by electrocution

Ya I'm not doing it myself ha. Would it be a straight forward job for someone qualified though?

Like it woulfnt cost me an arm and leg to get done and leave big mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frankthetank83

fjon wrote: »
    Not as high as SSE, not as cheap as Energia or BG, as far as I can tell.

Pretty sure electric ireland are actually cheapest out there. If you check bonkers.ie you will see that bors gais are “cheapest” @ €1580 for electricity + gas for the year (average consumption). Electric Ireland are €1672 but with them you get €200 free credit for switching (bonkers don’t include this for some reason) That brings the annual cost down to €1472. And their discounts don’t run out after a year like energia.

Pretty sure electric ireland are actually cheapest out there. If you check bonkers.ie you will see that bors gais are “cheapest” @ €1580 for electricity + gas for the year (average consumption). Electric Ireland are €1672 but with them you get €200 free credit for switching (bonkers don’t include this for some reason) That brings the annual cost down to €1472. And their discounts don’t run out after a year like energia.

Didn't know about the 200e, that makes a difference. However, there are e40 of Clubcard points with BG, so the difference is closer to 60e. And with BG you get a free Nest, whereas you pay 130e for the Nest. I'd prefer a Nest, but there's not that much difference, and for me it works out cheaper this way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ya I'm not doing it myself ha. Would it be a straight forward job for someone qualified though?

Like it woulfnt cost me an arm and leg to get done and leave big mess?

It would probably be cheaper to leave the cheap Nest there and get a cheap whatever-is-on-offer in the next place. You would be unlikely to have change from 200 for reinstating the old one and reinstalling the Nest in the next place (if you can even find an electrician to do two small jobs)

L1011 wrote: »
    It would probably be cheaper to leave the cheap Nest there and get a cheap whatever-is-on-offer in the next place. You would be unlikely to have change from 200 for reinstating the old one and reinstalling the Nest in the next place (if you can even find an electrician to do two small jobs)

Ok cool thanks for the info!

If I was to get it installed and in time leave it behind is it as easy to use as the original switches for someone not up on tech? Like can it be operated simply by flicking switch on and off?

Just thinking for the owner etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Is there a choice of colour to pick from when installer arrives or wat colour has everyone got?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭torrevieja

NO ,

Folks you dont have to change to Electric Ireland im with Bord Gais,

These Come with a Mini Google

It comes Silver only

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ok cool thanks for the info!

If I was to get it installed and in time leave it behind is it as easy to use as the original switches for someone not up on tech? Like can it be operated simply by flicking switch on and off?

Just thinking for the owner etc.

It would need to be reset and added back to the new residents account, or else you could still change the settings... its fairly easy to use the basic elements of it via the dial anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Can the Nest be used to replace a standard heating timer? I have a heating timer on the wall in my kitchen next to the heating on/off switch. I also have an analog type thermostat in the hall and and another one upstairs.

I presume I could replace the heating timer with the Nest and that would control when the heating comes on/off. I could replace the two analogue thermostats with another Nest later on if I wanted to I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

audi02 wrote: »
    Brill if I could do that it would be great. Did you get Google minis with yours

Edited to say out of curiosity why did you order 3?

I currently have a 3 zoned timer ..upstairs downstairs and hot water. Will 2 nests be enough?

I got mine in before the Google mini offer, but I can't see why you wouldn't get them.

I get 3 Nests 'cause I needed them.
    Downstairs rear + water.
    Downstairs front.
    Upstairs.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Can the Nest be used to replace a standard heating timer? I have a heating timer on the wall in my kitchen next to the heating on/off switch. I also have an analog type thermostat in the hall and and another one upstairs.

I presume I could replace the heating timer with the Nest and that would control when the heating comes on/off. I could replace the two analogue thermostats with another Nest later on if I wanted to I guess.

AFAIK, Nest can replace anything as long as you have a wifi network.

Place the thermostat where you want, and the receiver is connected to the boiler.

Two of ours replaced existing thermostats on the walls (downstairs rear and upstairs.) We removed our third stat from the wall in the hall, and have the third Nest on a stand in the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

I put two orders through online and one of them didn't send me an email. I called up and queried and they wouldn't give me the two items for that price. Tried to charge me a total of 400e.
    So i cancelled both orders.

They may have changed the system so that it prevents multiple orders going to the same house.
    I'll try again tomorrow with slightly different addresses and see how it goes.
    Or maybe i'll order one by phone and one online and see how that goes.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How is it?? Were you waiting long for the install and does in connect through alexa?

so far so good. No alexa/goolge home yet but apparently thats coming

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Question for people who understand Nest:

I have a combi boiler with 2 zones (downstairs, upstairs) - there's a control unit on the wall downstairs and two wireless thermostats - one upstairs and one downstairs. At the moment, I use the control unit to set the times the heating comes on and off in both zones. For example, it's set to come on in both zones from 7am-8am, downstairs from 7pm-8pm and both zones again until 9pm etc. The thermostats can be used to "boost" the heating for an hour and also to set a target temperature.

Using the above example - what exactly does the Nest replace? If it replaces the main wall unit, will I still be able to programme the heating in both zones using the Nest, or would I need a second Nest for that? And can I continue to use the wireless thermostat upstairs if Nest is installed downstairs?

Thanks!

Question for people who understand Nest:

I have a combi boiler with 2 zones (downstairs, upstairs) - there's a control unit on the wall downstairs and two wireless thermostats - one upstairs and one downstairs. At the moment, I use the control unit to set the times the heating comes on and off in both zones. For example, it's set to come on in both zones from 7am-8am, downstairs from 7pm-8pm and both zones again until 9pm etc. The thermostats can be used to "boost" the heating for an hour and also to set a target temperature.

Using the above example - what exactly does the Nest replace? If it replaces the main wall unit, will I still be able to programme the heating in both zones using the Nest, or would I need a second Nest for that? And can I continue to use the wireless thermostat upstairs if Nest is installed downstairs?

Thanks!

When I rang EI and I also contacted Nest via chat to confirm this I was told I needed two nests as the unit I have wont work anymore so I'd have no way of controlling my upstairs radiators. My plumbers calling today Im gonna run it past him when hes here before I actaully get them installed. EI actually told me a climote would be far more suitable for my house and its cheaper but it works off a sim which is no good to me as we have no phone coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

When I rang EI and I also contacted Nest via chat to confirm this I was told I needed two nests as the unit I have wont work anymore so I'd have no way of controlling my upstairs radiators. My plumbers calling today Im gonna run it past him when hes here before I actaully get them installed. EI actually told me a climote would be far more suitable for my house and its cheaper but it works off a sim which is no good to me as we have no phone coverage.

Ah right, that's disappointing. Let me know what your plumber says anyway.

Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Glad I just read these last few posts. I'm in the same situation and as a result have just changed from Nest to Climote. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Is there someway that the "smart" learning aspect of the nest can be disabled and it can be used to set the heating to come on remotely and on timer?

Really all I am looking for is something that I can use turn the heating on and off from the phone and to set timers for. as we run the heating via stove and oil combined I am not overly interested in having it control the temperature using the oil only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Yes you can and that's what i'm doing.

tommycahir wrote: »
    Is there someway that the "smart" learning aspect of the nest can be disabled and it can be used to set the heating to come on remotely and on timer?

Really all I am looking for is something that I can use turn the heating on and off from the phone and to set timers for. as we run the heating via stove and oil combined I am not overly interested in having it control the temperature using the oil only.

Yeah.
    You go into settings, and turn off "auto scheduling".
    There's also a setting that's running as default. It comes up as a yellow icon on the thermostat. It automatically turns on the hot water to stop Legionaires (sp?) disease or something. I turned that off too.

Could you have one of these installed and not touch the current switch box on kitchen wall?

Seen on the website mentioning it could be installed anywhere in the house.

Does this mean if you didn't want to use it you could switch it off and use original switches?

Plumber hadnt much dealings with them so he couldnt give much info. He said they seem like a good idea. I'm still going ahead and installing them

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

asharkman wrote: »
    I put two orders through online and one of them didn't send me an email. I called up and queried and they wouldn't give me the two items for that price. Tried to charge me a total of 400e.
    So i cancelled both orders.

They may have changed the system so that it prevents multiple orders going to the same house.
    I'll try again tomorrow with slightly different addresses and see how it goes.
    Or maybe i'll order one by phone and one online and see how that goes.....

Anyone got tips on how i can order two nests at the reduced price?

Did you try again since? At first it didnt recognise my address so told me to ring them. I tried it again and it worked. I only ordered 2 last night

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just rang them there and they confirmed that Nest will do what I want so went ahead and ordered it. Installation time backlog is one month out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

tommycahir wrote: »

Why not ? If the stove is on and the temperature matches the thermostat it won’t turn on the oil boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

One for you and one for wifey.

Advertisement