Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce GTX 650 Ti

• 18-05-2020 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Folks, was donated a PC last year with fairly decent spec. It has the GeForce GTX 650 graphics card. I am looking at upgrading to a more recent and modern card. Is it simply plug and play, or do i need to take into consideration power supply and connections the current supply supports.
    I am looking at the geoforce GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti

Adding an SSD as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Can a Mod move this thread too PC building and upgrading??

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EagerBeaverton

Might be showing my own lack of knowledge here but did you mean to include "geoforce" ahead of GeForce? I can't locate a geoforce card, did you mean Windforce?

There are lots of different GPUs using the GeForce GTX 1660 Ti and so depending on the one you want you might or might not be in luck depending on a few things.

You'd probably want to check your PSU and also the case size just before pulling the trigger.

With the 650 it was recommended to have a 400W PSU and it uses a 6-pin connector, plus it is approximately 14 cm long. So that PC you got might be setup only for that limit or it might have a higher spec that will allow an easier upgrade.

With the 1660 Ti it's recommended you have a 450W PSU and it uses an 8-pin connector, plus depending on the specific card you go for it might or might not fit inside your case.

It's easy to get a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter - though I haven't had to use one myself so not sure how good they are. I imagine a quick Google will tell you.

In terms of length:
    > GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G = 23cm
    > GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G = 27cm
    > GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti GAMING OC 6G = 28cm

If you throw up the full spec of your system (processor, ram, motherboard, monitors you use (e.g. are they 4k)) and the games you hope to play you might get better advice than mine!

Can't advise on the SSD myself though.

Might be showing my own lack of knowledge here but did you mean to include "geoforce" ahead of GeForce? I can't locate a geoforce card, did you mean Windforce?

There are lots of different GPUs using the GeForce GTX 1660 Ti and so depending on the one you want you might or might not be in luck depending on a few things.

You'd probably want to check your PSU and also the case size just before pulling the trigger.

With the 650 it was recommended to have a 400W PSU and it uses a 6-pin connector, plus it is approximately 14 cm long. So that PC you got might be setup only for that limit or it might have a higher spec that will allow an easier upgrade.

With the 1660 Ti it's recommended you have a 450W PSU and it uses an 8-pin connector, plus depending on the specific card you go for it might or might not fit inside your case.

It's easy to get a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter - though I haven't had to use one myself so not sure how good they are. I imagine a quick Google will tell you.

In terms of length:
    > GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G = 23cm
    > GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G = 27cm
    > GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti GAMING OC 6G = 28cm

If you throw up the full spec of your system (processor, ram, motherboard, monitors you use (e.g. are they 4k)) and the games you hope to play you might get better advice than mine!

Can't advise on the SSD myself though.

thanks this has being very helpfull, and u have given me the focus points to look at , ill neeed to open the machine to see what PSU was installed...

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650

but as u said, its not a straight plug and play. its not for me, its for my son, hes playing games like Rust and COD

sugarman wrote: »
    What's the spec of the pc? Reason I ask is the GTX 650 is an 8 year old card, if the rest of the components are of that era there could be some very noticeable bottlenecking with a 1660.

it has an intel i5 7th gen...with 16gig of ram...its a large hard disk..it has a corsair 450w...power supply...and it has an asus motherboard...will open it check
    is the model of motherboard etched on the board itself..

ive built these in the old days from windows 3.1 up to 2000 but not for gaming...thanks for the help

tred wrote: »
    it has an intel i5 7th gen...with 16gig of ram...its a large hard disk..it has a corsair 450w...power supply...and it has an asus motherboard...will open it check
    is the model of motherboard etched on the board itself..

ive built these in the old days from windows 3.1 up to 2000 but not for gaming...thanks for the help

last update on this for historical reasons!

so we pulled out the palit geforce 650 TI and replaced it with a palet gtx 1660 super single fan.

i got it for 180 euro ebay. Moved all his steam stuff to SSD, and all is working very well. running all his games now on high/ultra resolution. i have to say...i was fairly impressed with the performance. I can only imagine what the real top top of the range cards are like. It's amazing where the tech has moved here. Thanks for all the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement