Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alexander the great. Were they worried about repercussions back home?

• 24-12-2019 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

I was looking up something else and going by year on Wikipedia. The big event was Alexanders jaunt across to the east. Were the people worried about an army coming back to get them the further east he went?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Alexander had inherited a very effecive governing elite from his father Philip. Mostly they were loyal to his dynasty and the wealth it generated from the looted Persian empire. Those who were perceived as not so enthused were executed by Alexander on suspicion of treason. So the Macedonian governors were kept in line so long as the king lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Manach wrote: »
    Alexander had inherited a very effecive governing elite from his father Philip. Mostly they were loyal to his dynasty and the wealth it generated from the looted Persian empire. Those who were perceived as not so enthused were executed by Alexander on suspicion of treason. So the Macedonian governors were kept in line so long as the king lived.

Ah. It was actually more of of a planned takeover of territory. I was under the impression it was a looser run and went well past any predefined territory. Ah well, live and learn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A good recent book on that era which would give an overview of the period I'd recommend is Age of Conquests: The Greek World from Alexander to Hadrian (336 BC - AD 138).

Advertisement