Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

12.2b - Restrictions on Touching Sand in Bunker

(1) When Touching Sand Results in Penalty. Before making a stroke at a ball in a bunker, a player must not:

Deliberately touch sand in the bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the next stroke, or
    Touch sand in the bunker with a club:
    - In the area right in front of or right behind the ball (except as allowed under Rule 7.1a in fairly searching for a ball or under Rule 12.2a in removing a loose impediment or movable obstruction),
    - In making a practice swing, or
    - In making the backswing for a stroke.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 12.2: General Penalty. Which is Loss of hole in match play or two penalty strokes in stroke play.

Thanks, so just in the bunker not in a penalty area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

etxp wrote: »
    Thanks, so just in the bunker not in a penalty area.

Well that was in relation to the poster saying you could hit the sand in the backswing but not ground your club in bunker. You can ground your club in the bunker as long as you're not testing the conditions, improving lie or directly in front/behind the ball.

Penalty area is different.

Well that was in relation to the poster saying you could hit the sand in the backswing but not ground your club in bunker. You can ground your club in the bunker as long as you're not testing the conditions, improving lie or directly in front/behind the ball.

Penalty area is different.

Well they said clip something in their backswing, didn't specify bunker or penalty area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

etxp wrote: »
    Well they said clip something in their backswing, didn't specify bunker or penalty area.

Maybe, might have misread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

37 points today off 19 (20 on the front 17 on the back). Happy enough with my round but would have liked 1 point more to get the handicap down to 18, I’ll likely only get a .6 cut which would keep me on 19. Hit so many bunkers today but came out of them all well so happy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

31. 4putted the first. 3putted the 7th. Snap hook on 10 into heavy muck and lost. Mystery loss on 12 in light trees right of fairway. Knew I needed to go -1 for remaining holes to get buffer. Went par, par, par, par.... flushed one down middle on 17.... to good, found bunker which splits fairway and bladed out to end up with a double. Then birdied the last :(

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Just played a casual 9 in 1hour 10mins.. was great. Played 2 balls pro v1 vs v1x

V1x was -2 and v1 was -1 .. was working on my rotation and flexibility the last month and drove the ball great and iron game was strong, moved to claw grip on putter and rolled them much better..

Playing AM and really looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭VW 1

Played a 4 man rumble event today. Team scored 88, one point of a prize. I scored 89 gross, 67 nett for 2 under off 22. 4 pars and a birdie in there too. Very happy with ball striking, and putting was decent, not close too good enough from 100 yards in, reall struggling with wedges and chipping, need to get practicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

37 points off 18(now 17). 18 on the front 19 on the back. Still fuming over what happened on the par 5 18th. I was 37 points and had just hit a perfect drive and 3 hybrid to get to 40 yards from the green. 100% shanked what was meant to a little chip with my 52degree. Probably looked hilarious to whoever was watching from clubhouse. I wouldn't mind I already hit a few of these kind of chips during the round with great results. Anyway it took me another 2 shots to get to the green and then 3 putted for my only scratch of the round. Still a good round and a cut but I'll be having nightmares about that chip for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

35 pts.. 5 one pointers and a scratch

Struggling badly with the woods off the fairway.. maybe change them

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

36 points today, and that included 2 scratches and 4 single pointers. Roller coaster of a round, still nearly snuck a cut if got my birdie on last but not to be. Still no .1s back this year, and dont know if will be playing any more counting competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Played a charity 4 person team event yesterday. We ended up winning the thing with 78 points, despite feeling that high 80s would be needed to even contend.

Got fitted for new irons about a month ago and they finally arrived on Thursday (Cobra King SZ). With work i didn't have time to get for a few practise holes or even down to the range so 1st hole was the first time i actually got to hit them.

Kept my own card throughout the round and finished with 93 gross off 24 for a 3 under round for myself. Best round of golf i've had since I started playing seriously about 3 years ago. Amazing the difference I found hitting a set of irons that are fitted for your swing. Hitting the irons just felt effortless and getting at least 25-30 metres more on each shot (a lot of this down to the fact that the irons have much lower loft than my previous ones). It was the sheer consistency in distance and direction that I couldn't believe.

Lets just hope it wasn't a first round fluke, feels like a breakthrough could be coming in my game with these new irons :D

38 points this weekend off 10. Was good enough for 3rd in the weekly comp but no cut :(

19pts on the front.
    wasn't playing well but was scoring, finished the 9th with a 1 pointer which was annoying as its an easy par 4.

19pts on the back.
    got off to a terrible start. was trying to flight a 5 iron into the 10th par 5 for my third shot but pulled it in to the bunker and ended up on the downslope. thinned it through the green and scratched the hole. Played the next 8 holes in 2 over so recovered well.

Putting probably let me down, greens were very slow and I hadn't played since playing Portrush/Portstewart and took a bit of time to get used to the slow greens. Had birdie putts come up a roll short on the 2nd and 3rd :(

39pts won it, if I had bogeyed the 10th probably would have had it on the back 9 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

27 (11/16) points off 18 in enniscrone In Thursday open

1 birdie
    5 pars
    3 bogies
    5 doubles
    4 scratches

A round of many parts. Started off with 8 points in first 3 holes including a birdie on 3. Then fell to pieces for six holes

Onto the back 9. Solid start with 3 birdies in first 4, 15 points on first 6. Another crash

Back for more punishment this Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Backed up 4 man team win in Baltray with a semi-decent round out in Kilcock. 34 points with a monsterous wind blowing. I am useless in the wind generally, as any drive into the wind goes about 180 yards, even well hit.

Typical that I start to find some sort of form just as qualifying stops so I guess the handicap is staying where it is for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

gypsy79 wrote: »
    27 (11/16) points off 18 in enniscrone In Thursday open

1 birdie
    5 pars
    3 bogies
    5 doubles
    4 scratches

A round of many parts. Started off with 8 points in first 3 holes including a birdie on 3. Then fell to pieces for six holes

Onto the back 9. Solid start with 3 birdies in first 4, 15 points on first 6. Another crash

Back for more punishment this Thursday

Do you travel up and down on the same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played South County Meath today in their open.

37 points off 16
    A birdie, few pars but unfortunalty a good few doubles. Burned the edge of the hole all day mixed with a few silly shots.

Greens were rolling very well but had alot of putts turn just at the hole which is never nice, you feel you made a good putt but got slightly robbed. Tee boxes were poor on some holes with some serious slope on them, other wise really impressed with the course. Condition and layout is great for an easy going round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Do you travel up and down on the same day?

No. I am staying about 50 yards from the clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Singles stroke last weekend, 73 gross for 69 nett. Another cut to get me to 3.8 which I'm delighted with. Great round overall played some lovely stuff, 4 birdies and 5 bogeys. Turned -2 and had 4 bogeys and a birdie then coming in. Seems to be a bit of a theme with me this year, just can't get 9 holes together on the back. When I do I feel confident my first under par round will happen. Missed out on the prizes (beaten on count back for gross) but still another successful outing.

Just to top it off my friend who I was playing with had a beautiful ace on our 16th. Gorgeous 9 iron, one bounce and in - was never anywhere else. Great to see one in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

After around 100 attempts, I've finally won a competition at my club. Plenty of chances spurned over last 3 years.

Playing off 7, 2 doubles and a few other mistakes left me sitting +7 through 11. Probably worse than usual for me.

Managed to play last 7 holes in -2. 6 pars 1 eagle. Holed bunker shot from 5 yards on par 5 after a huge wind assisted drive and 8 iron.

Front 9 16 points
    Back 9 22 points (1 under gross)

Only 2 players broke their handicap and 38 was enough to take 1st place out of 184 golfers.

2nd place 37 points.

0.6 cut. Can't understand how CSS was only 1 harder given the low scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

35 pts 17/18 from front tees

Frustrating day at the office. Course is in superb nick, the greens are in just fantastic condition. Had no 3 putts and 5 1 putts. Usually when putting that well I score 4 or 5 points more. Pulled so many shots left today, found trouble far too many times off the tee and on approaches. I'm putting it down to a slight change in grip to stop slice and some time with a swing trainer that has over corrected the problem.

Really wish it was the start of the summer rather than the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Monthly medal today. 74 net off 19 from the back tees, 47 shots on the front and 45 on that back. Felt like a worse round than it actually was. Short irons were poor. Hopefully 74 keeps me in the buffer zone. I need another 0.3 of a cut to get me to 18, that’d have me down 5 shots since July. Unfortunately today wasn’t the day for the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Nett 80 in Moate off 16 and although it wasnt good I was delighted to be playing after missing last week with a minor injury. Good front 9 let down by a whopping 10 on the Par 5 14th where I was unlucky to be in the water but then did even more damage to my card when I put next shot in a virtually unplayable position.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Probably the last qualifying round for 2020 for me and thankfully saved the best to last.

Played solidly to finish at +2 gross off 5 for 39 points. Putter was hot and made almost everything inside 6 feet.

Hit my wedges poorly and never took advantage of good drives to leave myself any makeable birdies, that said shaved the hole a few times so happy with the stroke.

1 birdie
    14 pars
    3 bogeys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

Played yesterday, 27 points off 14, but not all bad. Parred 5 of the first 6. Scratched 2 holes due to lost sliced drives (out of 4driver holes) . Could easily go to the three woods witch still carries plenty, but I want to learn to hit to driver. The 3/4 shots got me again too - hit before the ball on 7 and 15, and hit one thin on 8. From being within 100m from my tee shots on those three par 4s I ended up with 2 points (had shots on them all).

I scratched two holes due to being unable to get out of thick rough. 4 shots from each and still not out.i should clearly have taken an unplayable lie.

13 and 14 were funny holes. 4 putt on 13, but for anyone who knows corballis that can happen. On 14 my watch didn't pick me up properly and I hit a gap wedge instead of a 7 iron. Another lost ball. It's funny how reliant you become on them. I didn't question the distance and hit it and only after I did I looked and saw the 150m marker in front of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Mentioned on another thread but 2nd big cut of the year 2 weeks ago.

16 points on front and 25 points on the back for a 41, CSS was 34 points so finished with 43 overall. The 25 points on the back was my best ever 9 holes of +2.

Cut of 2.1 plus ESR of 0.5 for an effective 3 shot cut.

Played a 9 hole the other night and really felt the difference as two holes I usually have a shot on, I had two pars which previously would have put me in a good position but now simply the expectation.

Finish the year with 4 shots down(assuming new rules doesn't move needle much).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

16 points on front and 25 points on the back for a 41, CSS was 34 points so finished with 43 overall.

i think your calculator is broken... or something :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Finished +6 gross for a minor cut in last weeks strokes medal. Ball striking on front nine with the longer clubs started very poor, then had silly doubles on 8 and 9 and I thought that was it. But then kicked on to have a good back nine. Irons and wedges were good. Hit the flag from about 70m out from the 10th and made the birdy putt back. But then on 12 hit a good drive and solid second in to our par 5 12th. Nearly albatrossed it!

miss.jpg
    IMG-20200927-120806.jpg

Also, this was the ball I was using, stamped with a boards logo, won at box of them at kilkea :D
    IMG-20200928-220809.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Seve OB wrote: »
    i think your calculator is broken... or something :confused:

Why?

16 pts on front + 25 pts on back equals 41 points.

CSS on the day was 34 opposed to 36 so effectively 7 shots better than handicap(equivalent of 43 pts).

Displayed as follows on the website: CSS Gents 36pts Visitors 34pts

I was cut 2.1 shots as Cat3(0.3 ×7) + 0.5 ESR.

Perhaps poorly explained originally?

• Advertisement

Why?

16 pts on front + 25 pts on back equals 41 points.

CSS on the day was 34 opposed to 36 so effectively 7 shots better than handicap(equivalent of 43 pts).

Displayed as follows on the website: CSS Gents 36pts Visitors 34pts

I was cut 2.1 shots as Cat3(0.3 ×7) + 0.5 ESR.

Perhaps poorly explained originally?

I have never witnessed this approach before.

Advertisement