Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Won matchplay on 19th for the second round in a row

Into the 4th round

Was a real ding dong battle. Scratched the first (with a shot, index 3) were I had a shot with a lost ball on third after chipping out of trees. Managed to be 2 up after 6 and held a lead until 16 were we got back all square. On 15 he had a mmiracle up and down after I was GIR.

17th I managed to scrape a half with a dodgy bogie on a par 3. Both missed makeable par putts on 18

It was a 14 vs a 17 so i had 3 shots. Managed to lose index 1 and half

Bit of a controversial end. He wasnt happy that I still had shots for play off. First is index 3 so I had a shot. Was getting tired but found fairway bit further back than normal after he put one in the bunker. Flushed a 4 hybrid to 10 feet. He hooked his shot miles out of bounds and off he stormed!! Heard he was in checking the rules on shots in play off but I would have won it anyway without the shot

Hey, what are the rules on this. Are the shots reset again if it's a draw after the 18th?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yes there wrote: »
    Hey, what are the rules on this. Are the shots reset again if it's a draw after the 18th?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

27 points in Druids Glen today. 4 scratches, few pars and a few one pointers. Lost a ball on a good drive, just a bad line. That got in my head and carried onto the next.

Not my day, feel a big cut is possible there on a good day for me even with some savage pins. Played much easier to when I played a few years ago, can really see the difference in my golf game with it.

Anyway, really just wanted to say the place is in fantastic condition. Last time I was there I was let down as it was a bucket list course but it's now my favourite parkland over Lough Erne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Played the Monty course down in Carton House last weekend. My own club was having the greens forked last week so decided to give the weekend comp a miss. Had a great time down in Carton, beautiful course and lovely surroundings for a nice walk around (basically all I did, definitely didn't play any golf!!)

The course was definitely far above anything I've played before. I'd say I lost at least 30 shots in the bunkers around there, both fairway and greenside. I'd say i maybe finished with 17/18 pts. Gave up really counting after 9 when i was on 10pts.

But definitely somewhere I would love to play again, when I have a bit more consistency going in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

kev_s88 wrote: »
    Played the Monty course down in Carton House last weekend. My own club was having the greens forked last week so decided to give the weekend comp a miss. Had a great time down in Carton, beautiful course and lovely surroundings for a nice walk around (basically all I did, definitely didn't play any golf!!)

The course was definitely far above anything I've played before. I'd say I lost at least 30 shots in the bunkers around there, both fairway and greenside. I'd say i maybe finished with 17/18 pts. Gave up really counting after 9 when i was on 10pts.

But definitely somewhere I would love to play again, when I have a bit more consistency going in the game.
    Played it a few times. Once on the tail end of a storm where my trolley disappeared. Found it 30 yds away in a bunker that could hide a Ford transit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

I seem to have improved quite a bit recently, though playing off 28 because I don't have an official handicap. Had played off 24 previously but I was told that was probably a little low.

Anyway, I seem to be hitting the ball far better lately. Really struggled with driver before and while it's swinging from left to right almost every drive even now, I know it's going to happen so I use it and generally land it on the edge of the fairway or just off in the rough. And 5 off the fairway is getting far more distance and much better accuracy. Same with PW and SW, catching it much better and getting good distance, accuracy with them is still a little off though.

Last three rounds off 28

Mount Temple - 16/16 (32)
    Moate - 12/7 (19)
    Swords Open - 14/15 (29)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Got knocked out of the club doubles matchplay last night in the stupidest fashion ever

Myself and my partner 12 and 11 handicaps playing vs 3 and a 5
    Really good match with a rubbish ending

Never more than 1 hole in it the whole way around. I lipped out a putt on 15 which would have put us 1 up with shots on 16 and 18. I won 16 with a par. 17 is a par 3 on a two level green, pin on the top level. One of their guys stitched the flag to set up a birdie. So A/S going down the last

This is where things got interesting.
    Two lads tee off first, first tee shot is very good, prime position to attack the green. The second tee shot was an attempt at the green and a lost ball right, so he is out of the hole. I was swinging the club so well all day but in an attempt to guide the ball to the fairway rather than just hit it I left it out on the right hand side and into the rough which is heavy. My Playing partner having seen this goes even further in the rough (dumb as fck)

My partner was pretty much dead, he took a swing and the ball didn't move then he hack it out just forward of myself by about 20 yards but still in the rough. I had a shot at the green, it was in thick stuff but I could swing at it. Next thing the group from behind us which was also a club match play had finished early and were walking off the course. They proceeded to walk through our game, up our fairway while I was lining up my shot. I asked the first lad to stop and I hit my shot which rolled off the back of the green - grand didn't bother me too much.
    Their turn, second shot in. The guys from behind keep walking on and into his view. The lad whose shot it is stops but says nothing, his partner who is on our side of the fairway lights up on them, ****s them out of it and there was a bit of an argument, insults traded, nothing physical but unsavory. The opponent who is out of the hole steps down over my partners ball and picks it up believing it to be just a stray golf ball. We told him immediately it was our ball and he placed it back, probably improved the lie. The guy he was cursing out of it laughed at him and said it was a concession of the hole???

What a dilemma, it was such a great match and my instinct was not to win it this way. Plus this lad was going off on one, I didn't particularly fancy a big argument.

Their lad secured a par. I had a tricky little chip but bogey at least extended the game, I was playing 3rd shot. Flubbed my chip and put the ball in a worse place, chipped past the hole and missed the putt coming back. Awful way to lose the game. Opponent was still ripping so we couldn't even talk about what was a great golf match up to the 18th. I know we could have claimed victory but would have hated to win a game like that, I had it in my hands to win the game for the team and lost it. Sickener

willabur wrote: »
    The opponent who is out of the hole steps down over my partners ball and picks it up

Penalty?

No penalty was called. Technically they should have conceded the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

I am fairly certain it is a 1 stroke penalty in matchplay. However as he was already out of the hole it made no difference.

The penalty would not apply to his partner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

You were 100% right not to claim the hole that way. As you say, if anything it improved your lie. It would be different if it advantaged them or disadvantaged you. Winning is no fun on a technicality. Whenever we even talk about winning, earning it is implied in it.

I lost a matchplay where our opponents claimed the 16th hole because I touched the ground when giving him the line for a putt. Apparently hovering is fine, but touching is not. I'd never heard of the rule and wasn't annoyed at the time, but afterwards when I thought about it I realised he read a dick for calling it. Putting myself in his shoes, I'd never want to win a match like that.

And it was an outrageously high standard game for our handicaps. We were all off low teen handicaps. I'd three birdies on the 18 holes. My playing partner had 2. After going 1 down on 16 we parred the next to go back all square. Then 3 of the fourball birdied the last to bring it to a playoff. Then my partner birdied the first to tie the hole (was giving their guy a shot). Then I three putted from about 10 feet on the last for bogey to lose. In fairness, it was a treacherous putt, you couldn't stop it near the hole.

But in what was a really great match, the guy claiming a hole for me breaking a rule I hadn't heard of, giving us no real advantage sticks in my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

You done the right thing not taking it.

@Blue note and Willabur - in both your situations if it was an interclub match would your attitudes be different?

its a hypothetical but I probably would have consulted with the team captain if he was present. Much like bluenote I would not like to win a match on a technicality. Wouldn't get any satisfaction from it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

blue note wrote: »
    You were 100% right not to claim the hole that way. As you say, if anything it improved your lie. It would be different if it advantaged them or disadvantaged you. Winning is no fun on a technicality. Whenever we even talk about winning, earning it is implied in it.

I lost a matchplay where our opponents claimed the 16th hole because I touched the ground when giving him the line for a putt. Apparently hovering is fine, but touching is not. I'd never heard of the rule and wasn't annoyed at the time, but afterwards when I thought about it I realised he read a dick for calling it. Putting myself in his shoes, I'd never want to win a match like that.

And it was an outrageously high standard game for our handicaps. We were all off low teen handicaps. I'd three birdies on the 18 holes. My playing partner had 2. After going 1 down on 16 we parred the next to go back all square. Then 3 of the fourball birdied the last to bring it to a playoff. Then my partner birdied the first to tie the hole (was giving their guy a shot). Then I three putted from about 10 feet on the last for bogey to lose. In fairness, it was a treacherous putt, you couldn't stop it near the hole.

But in what was a really great match, the guy claiming a hole for me breaking a rule I hadn't heard of, giving us no real advantage sticks in my memory.

It definitely feels like a dick move, but golf is all about the honour blah blah blah which you already know.

In any kind of a formal match, if an opponent noted that I had broken a rule, rather than blaming him for calling it I’d not want to win the hole in breach of a rule and I’d happily concede. It’s 100% your fault for not knowing it.

If it were a gang of lads playing a fourball for a fiver or as part of a trip or a society Ryder cup or whatever, I’d see that as being less officious.

I didn’t really play much golf as a kid, was playing in my GAA clubs classic as a 11-12 year old and my ball was at the edge of a clump of trees. One branch was hanging down which stopped me having a full swing at the ball, so I slightly bent it to hook it around another branch and went to take my shot. Hit a wonder shot to a few feet and instead of celebrating my neighbour who invited me said it was a penalty and replay the shot. So instead of having a tap in for my first ever birdie I was hacking out and taking a 7 or something. Though I was annoyed as **** at the time, and it was a dick move to wait until I’d hit to tell me, I’m glad my first ever birdie Isn’t tainted knowing I’d cheated, even if I didn’t know the rule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Surely as you were all aware there was a breach of the rules, the penalty is obligutory you can't agree among yourselves not to apply the penalty?

Surely as you were all aware there was a breach of the rules, the penalty is obligutory you can't agree among yourselves not to apply the penalty?

In Matchplay you can disregard an opponents breach of a rule. so if I see you do something I can choose to ignore it. But you can't agree to disregard the rules before the match starts.

etxp wrote: »
    You done the right thing not taking it.

@Blue note and Willabur - in both your situations if it was an interclub match would your attitudes be different?

I've never played interclub, so can't say for sure, but I suspect you'd be right. My understanding is that it's more cutthroat, so calling a rule like that is more in the spirit of the competition. As opposed to the club matchplay where you're playing with your clubmates.

That said, my natural inclination might take over and I might decide that there was no advantage to me, I'd have lost the hole anyway so not called it.

But I can't say for sure.

It definitely feels like a dick move, but golf is all about the honour blah blah blah which you already know.

In any kind of a formal match, if an opponent noted that I had broken a rule, rather than blaming him for calling it I’d not want to win the hole in breach of a rule and I’d happily concede. It’s 100% your fault for not knowing it.

If it were a gang of lads playing a fourball for a fiver or as part of a trip or a society Ryder cup or whatever, I’d see that as being less officious.

I didn’t really play much golf as a kid, was playing in my GAA clubs classic as a 11-12 year old and my ball was at the edge of a clump of trees. One branch was hanging down which stopped me having a full swing at the ball, so I slightly bent it to hook it around another branch and went to take my shot. Hit a wonder shot to a few feet and instead of celebrating my neighbour who invited me said it was a penalty and replay the shot. So instead of having a tap in for my first ever birdie I was hacking out and taking a 7 or something. Though I was annoyed as **** at the time, and it was a dick move to wait until I’d hit to tell me, I’m glad my first ever birdie Isn’t tainted knowing I’d cheated, even if I didn’t know the rule

If I had felt I'd gained an advantage I'd absolutely call it myself / concede the hole. So in the example of restricting a branch to give you a full swing, if you realise you broke a rule to give yourself that advantage you'd simply have to call it on yourself. Whereas in the case of a rule breach where no advantage was gained if my opponent was happy to let it slide I'd be fine about accepting his generosity. I'd want to know about the rule so that I don't break it again, but I wouldn't think too deeply about the breach.

Another example would be say playing someone fairly new to golf and they grounded their club in a hazard. There's no real advantage there. So what I'd probably do is tell them the rule after the round, but I wouldn't be claiming a hole for it.

Back to my last round.....

Yesterday played 4ball. We had 24points for front 9. I was + 2 myself at the turn which I was more than pleased with after taking a double on the second hole.
    Par on the difficult index 2 10th followed, but then the pair of us went asleep for a few holes and trotted out 3 1 pointers. I got it back together a little for 3 pars 15-17 but pulled my tee shot on 18.
    We finished with 41 points. 43 won. 41 second & third. We were beaten out of the prizes on count back :(

I’ve had almost 5 rounds on the bounce without loosing a ball. Tee shot on the 18th hole of 5th round ruined my streak :(
    Full disclosure, I did loose a ball in dromoland but as it was a provisional and I found the first, it is not getting counted. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Seve OB wrote: »
    Back to my last round.....

Yesterday played 4ball. We had 24points for front 9. I was + 2 myself at the turn which I was more than pleased with after taking a double on the second hole.
    Par on the difficult index 2 10th followed, but then the pair of us went asleep for a few holes and trotted out 3 1 pointers. I got it back together a little for 3 pars 15-17 but pulled my tee shot on 18.
    We finished with 41 points. 43 won. 41 second & third. We were beaten out of the prizes on count back :(

I’ve had almost 5 rounds on the bounce without loosing a ball. Tee shot on the 18th hole of 5th round ruined my streak :(
    Full disclosure, I did loose a ball in dromoland but as it was a provisional and I found the first, it is not getting counted. :cool:

Bet you wish season won't end

• Advertisement

Bet you wish season won't end

i wish i could just stick with it for 18 holes.... just once!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Another example would be say playing someone fairly new to golf and they grounded their club in a hazard. There's no real advantage there. So what I'd probably do is tell them the rule after the round, but I wouldn't be claiming a hole for it.

If they're fairly new to golf they might know the new rule ;) You can ground a club in a hazard.

PARlance wrote: »
    If they're fairly new to golf they might know the new rule ;) You can ground a club in a hazard.

I thought you could just clup something in your backswing but grounding was still not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I thought you could just clup something in your backswing but grounding was still not allowed?

No, you can ground away. Still not allowed in a bunker iirc.

Loss of hole if you clip in the backswing.

In Matchplay you can disregard an opponents breach of a rule. so if I see you do something I can choose to ignore it. But you can't agree to disregard the rules before the match starts.

Rule 3.2d -

The players in a match should protect their own rights and interests under the Rules:

- If the player knows or believes that the opponent has breached a Rule that has a penalty, the player may act on the breach or choose to ignore it.
    - But if the player and opponent deliberately agree to ignore a breach or penalty they know applies, both players are disqualified under Rule 1.3b.
    - If the player and opponent disagree whether one of them has breached a Rule, either player may protect his or her rights by asking for a ruling under Rule 20.1b.

No mention of before.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Long time reader, first time poster ( yes, I've had a **** year and not felt much like talking about it lol )

We had our Junior/Senior scratch cups on at the weekend in Athlone. I worked overtime on Saturday and Sunday and went out to play straight after overtime at 3, Sunday evening. Played brilliant. 78 gross (+6) playing off a handicap of 7 and came 2nd gross outright.

Right from the first tee shot my game felt great. I gave myself one message from the first tee, backswing really slow, come through as fast as I like. Worked a treat. Started with 2 pars, double bogeyed the 3rd and then triple bogeyed the 5th. I was 6 over par after 8 and had missed 4 very makeable birdie putts in those 8 holes and rightly could have felt like it was just going to be another one of those weekends, but oddly, I still felt really good about my game and felt like i still had a chance.

Standing on the 9th tee, I just said if I shot 3 over from here, it would be a solid showing. Parred 9, 10 and 11 and then on 12, eagle! Par 5, I had driver, 3 wood to leave myself 60 yards from the green. One of the lads was up by the green, but the other fella was a guy I played with last week. Last week, I hit my 3rd shot on 12 into 6 inches and right before I hit my shot on Sunday, I turned around to the same guy and said ::" Last time I played with you I hit it to 6 inches, this time its going straight in the hole ". And it did. Guy up the green was watching it in flight and when it landed, he raised his arms half in the air and next bounce it was in and the arms were aloft. He repaired my pitchmark for me but let me have the honour of taking it out of the hole myself, lol. +4 after 12 and suddenly my card was back on track.

I bogeyed 13 and then had a great birdie on 14. 2 more bogeys on 15 and 16 and 2 pars to finish on 17 and 18, left me with a level par back 9..... and I needed it as 5 other people had also shot 78's, but my back 9 got me over the line. I was nowhere near the guy who won it. He shot an unreal 73 to win the Junior. In the conditions it was super because the wind was strong and the course was setup tough.

Delighted to win a prize. Delighted to finally have a round that I'm happy to post in this thread lol :D Delighted to have achieved my first cut in 2 years. Still off 7, but went from 6.9 to 6.5. Another chance to win another prize playing off 7 the next day I get out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Finally had a good round playing the magnificent Baltray in a four man team with fellow boards member Rossyd. The course was just fantastic with the best greens I've played on.

I had 9 pars recorded on the card with at least one, and i think two, not on there as others had their down first. Came dangerously close to an eagle chip in from 60 yards and putted as well as I ever have. After 3-4 months of awful golf it was great to get some decent scoring going.

It was 2 scores on every hole except the last, where all four players needed to put in a score. We all had par for a final score 101 with three of us hitting out right, into maybe lost territory. You could have thrown a jumper over the three of them when we got down there just off the fairway. That score should hopefully get us in the prizes.

I can't recommend the course highly enough for anyone looking to play top quality links. The €240 team price was well worth it.

Loss of hole if you clip in the backswing.

I thought this was just in a bunker? I cant find it in the rules though, can you send it on please? I love a good read of the rules.

• Advertisement

I thought this was just in a bunker? I cant find it in the rules though, can you send it on please? I love a good read of the rules.

12.2b - Restrictions on Touching Sand in Bunker

(1) When Touching Sand Results in Penalty. Before making a stroke at a ball in a bunker, a player must not:

Deliberately touch sand in the bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the next stroke, or
    Touch sand in the bunker with a club:
    - In the area right in front of or right behind the ball (except as allowed under Rule 7.1a in fairly searching for a ball or under Rule 12.2a in removing a loose impediment or movable obstruction),
    - In making a practice swing, or
    - In making the backswing for a stroke.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 12.2: General Penalty. Which is Loss of hole in match play or two penalty strokes in stroke play.

Advertisement