Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Preseason thread

• 06-08-2019 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭

We had one of these threads last Preseason started by RSD and I felt it might be a good idea to have one again this year. And also it might be a good idea to have a seperate thread to keep the news and banter thread free for what it's meant for.

Anyway, the Preseason is kind of a halfway house on the NFL calendar in that yes it's something resembling regular season football but isn't. I'm quietly confident as an Eagles fan about how the season will go, after a bit of a down year last year. Carson Wentz is fully fit and there is no safety net of Nick Foles now, so It's his team We got a look at what he can do when healthy and he needs to do it again. And there have been some nice additions and players who were injured are back. I like Zach Ertz but I think Dallas Goddert is a special talent.

So what are others expectations and hopes for their teams in the Preseason and beyond ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No real expectations for the preseason, just looking forward to seeing games again and the end of all the useless talk and filler in the media.

Just remember though, the 0-16 Detroit Lions went 4-0 in that preseason so please no crowning of champions based on the next 4 weeks of play!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Im just waiting for the Titans fan reaction when Tannehill comes in and lights up 2nd and 3rd string defences

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Clearly the NFL are New York biased given that when you open the gamepass app the "featured game" for week one of the preseason is the snoopy bowl tonight between two teams in the one city in a stadium that isn't in the boundaries of the city they play under. Not that's I'm jealous or anything btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bears fans will mainly be watching the kickers tonight. We have two on the roster, Pineiro who we got from the Raiders in exchange for a conditional 7th rounder, and Elliott Fry who we got from I have no idea where. Anyone who has followed the Bears at all in the offseason knows this kicker issue has basically become a sideshow for us, but both these guys seem to be doing pretty well and wouldn't be surprised to see both on a roster this year. I'll be looking in the hope that I don't hear the sound of a football hitting a post.

Other than that I hope to not recognise a single name on the roster to be honest. If the starters are out I hope they look like they are sharp in getting plays off, but not too worried about the result at all. And I hope that nobody gets injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bears fans will mainly be watching the kickers tonight. We have two on the roster, Pineiro who we got from the Raiders in exchange for a conditional 7th rounder, and Elliott Fry who we got from I have no idea where. Anyone who has followed the Bears at all in the offseason knows this kicker issue has basically become a sideshow for us, but both these guys seem to be doing pretty well and wouldn't be surprised to see both on a roster this year. I'll be looking in the hope that I don't hear the sound of a football hitting a post.

Other than that I hope to not recognise a single name on the roster to be honest. If the starters are out I hope they look like they are sharp in getting plays off, but not too worried about the result at all. And I hope that nobody gets injured.

With the near PTSD the Bears staff have shown since the playoff miss, I wouldn't be shocked if they make players go down when they get to 43 yards out and keep having their kickers take shots from there each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Metlife crowd & teams being evacuated into interior because of imminent severe weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Jones was looking good for Giants there.

Mayfield matched the Browns down for a nice score with the first team and #2s are coming out now.

I think Hard Knocks is probably more entertaining than the football on show tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Jermaine Kearse for the Lions breaks his leg 10 minutes into the preseason.
    Likely lost for the year. Must be heart breaking for him to get injured in such a fashion, in a meaningless game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

Former Wasps rugby player Christian Wade scored a 65 yard TD for the Bills with his 1st carry of the game. Impressive way to start his NFL career, will do his chances of making the final roster no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Has anyone followed this lad's crazy story? I watched this a few weeks ago on youtube and I've been following him in camp since then. He's so driven to succeed.

Last night he returned a punt for a TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Oat23 wrote: »
    Has anyone followed this lad's crazy story? I watched this a few weeks ago on youtube and I've been following him in camp since then. He's so driven to succeed.

Last night he returned a punt for a TD.

Jesus I've never seen a celebration like that after a TD. Cool story.

Saints getting robbed by the officials still. Looks like they are punishing them for getting the rules changed in regard to the PI challenge. Obvious no PI but the challenge upholds it. NFL officials are corrupt to the core, expected better this season. Didn't expect the anti-Saints bias in preseason. Shame on Goodell and the NFL!

I had pinned my hopes on the AAF as being the bastion of fairness in pro football, but obviously that didn't turn out so well. I shouldn't be surprised by the NFL, a leopard doesn't change its spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Saints getting robbed by the officials still. Looks like they are punishing them for getting the rules changed in regard to the PI challenge. Obvious no PI but the challenge upholds it. NFL officials are corrupt to the core, expected better this season. Didn't expect the anti-Saints bias in preseason. Shame on Goodell and the NFL!

I had pinned my hopes on the AAF as being the bastion of fairness in pro football, but obviously that didn't turn out so well. I shouldn't be surprised by the NFL, a leopard doesn't change its spots.

More like Salty Lake Stallion, amiright??? :D

kev_s88 wrote: »
    More like Salty Lake Stallion, amiright??? :D

Very punny!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

As a Cardinals fan I was V impressed with Kyler Murrays drive. His passing looked on the money. I also liked how he done a Tom Brady and hit the deck when the sack was coming. If that were Rosen he'd have thrown and hoped. Rosen done this the other night and done it all last season.

No disrespect on Josh, I wish we kept him and drafted Williams, but I'm excited to see this air raid offense in AZ. DJ should have a good season and looks a stellar pickup in fantasy. Interesting to see who will stand out from the WR Rookies if any of then even do.

A game and less than one quarter and the eagles QB depth chart is getting shorter by the week. Nate sudfeld is out six weeks with a broken wrist and in the game tonight Cody Kessler was the starter and got drilled from the blindside and has been pulled from the game by the independent observer for concussions.

Just a reminder that there is a game at 9pm Irish time tonight and it's the Cleveland browns @ Indianapolis colts and there's another game tomorrow night at 9pm.

This Andrew Luck injury situation is getting weirder as it goes along. They were showing Luck practicing on the field on NFL network prior to the game and he was moving fine, yet Stacey Dales was saying that according to the Colts GM he has pain moving sideways. He didn't look in anything resembling pain from what I saw.

The Colts are playing the band Wolfmother over the PA in the stadium.

One of the things I don't like about the preseason games are the home broadcast announcers. They are all so biased towards the home team. I know baseball teams use their own broadcast teams all season and some are really bad with their support for their own teams but it's unusual seeing it in the NFL.

• Advertisement

One of the things I don't like about the preseason games are the home broadcast announcers. They are all so biased towards the home team. I know baseball teams use their own broadcast teams all season and some are really bad with their support for their own teams but it's unusual seeing it in the NFL.
    Its not the biased play calling that bothers me that much being honest during the pre season. It's that everything is sponsored and it's painful. The game ball delivery was sponsored by FedEx for some reason. I know there is the say stuff during the regular season but it seems more on the nose during the preseason.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Its not the biased play calling that bothers me that much being honest during the pre season. It's that everything is sponsored and it's painful. The game ball delivery was sponsored by FedEx for some reason. I know there is the say stuff during the regular season but it seems more on the nose during the preseason.

At least they've changed the colour of the ad at the end of the scoreboard on the screen. On the first series of this game it was yellow and every time I glanced up at the screen I thought a flag had been thrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The Colts are playing the band Wolfmother over the PA in the stadium.

First time I've heard them since I left Melbourne in 2006!

Great to see Kelly back playing. Still raging with what happened with us last season especially seeing how Keenum ended up anyway. Shambles.

Hopefully he ends up somewhere decent this season if he doesn't move Brisset in Indy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Really hard to watch a preseason game unless it features your team of choice (unless you are an absolute die hard fan!!)

Yeah, I was hoping Kelly would pan out at the Broncos, to think he was on the cusp of a start when he had his episode. I'd still like to see him catch on somewhere, looks like he has a lot of arm talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Really hard to watch a preseason game unless it features your team of choice (unless you are an absolute die hard fan!!)

Yeah, I was hoping Kelly would pan out at the Broncos, to think he was on the cusp of a start when he had his episode. I'd still like to see him catch on somewhere, looks like he has a lot of arm talent.

My missus is a Browns fan so I out this on. Imagine this match up in the regular season though. Definitely would be some game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

My missus is a Browns fan so I out this on. Imagine this match up in the regular season though. Definitely would be some game. :)

Well hopefully both teams will still be involved in a playoff chase, although I'd be a bit higher on the Browns than the Broncos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mariota trying to injure himself on a 2 point pre season play, what is he thinking.

Mariota trying to injure himself on a 2 point pre season play, what is he thinking.
    Is he thinking why am I in the game at this point ?

• Advertisement

Poor question though. There a way to ask him a question that will get a good answer.

Advertisement