Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Clubs near Dublin with alternative membership options

• 26-04-2019 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I'm hoping to move back to Dublin (south city) soon and join a golf club again - hopefully along with a friend who lives nearby.

The reality is with family commitments etc we are not going to be able to get out every weekend or play every competition etc so paying €1,200-1,500 a year sub or a large joining fee isn't really an option.

At the same time we don't really want to join somewhere down the country (ie, Slievnamon) which we won't likely ever play just to get a GUI.

So what we would ideally like is somewhere in say Dublin, Wicklow, Meath, Kildare where we could play every second or third weekend and also be able to play in open fixtures in Leinster or on weekends away.

I see Rathsallagh has a "Lifestyle" membership for €360 a year (which is effectively a pay&play membership). Based on the green fees you would get your membership and probably about 9 rounds for that fee which is ok for a nice course. It is over an hours drive away so we're not going to play it every weekend.

Another option would be Kilcock (I was previously a student member here). They have a couple of different options
    - Under 40's membership @ €475
    - Pay and Play @ €299 (plus €25 per round)

Does anyone know of anything else like these within around an hour from Dublin 2? We are both mid-30s also if that is relevant also.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Does anyone know of anything else like these within around an hour from Dublin 2? We are both mid-30s also if that is relevant also.

Check out the Flexi membership available at Lisheen Springs.

I think Castlenock have something similar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Royal Curragh has an Intermediate membership for €700ish, if you are under 35. Might be at the edge of how far you'd be willing to travel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

First Up wrote: »
    I think Castlenock have something similar.

Yep - but still €1,450 a year.

Kiith wrote: »
    Royal Curragh has an Intermediate membership for €700ish, if you are under 35. Might be at the edge of how far you'd be willing to travel though.

Probably a little far and my playing partner wouldn't be under 35.

Check out the Flexi membership available at Lisheen Springs.

That's pretty good - you would get a dozen rounds (ish) for your €400 sub. Annoying that you have to do a further top up of €400 if you use it all up - but I assume that new top up is then valid for 12 months.

Is Lisheen Springs the old South County course? What is it like as a course/club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Kilcock
    - Under 40's membership @ €475.

This is a no brainer if you're ok with the drive. Full membership so you can play whenever you want for that price is fantastic value. Plus comps on Fri, Sat and Sunday.

I'm a Flexi member there for €499 and that is also great value if your not eligible for the U40's. Missed out on the U40 myself by a few years unfortunately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Blessington Lakes has pay and pay membership for 150 euro. You can sign up through the club website.

Is Lisheen Springs the old South County course? What is it like as a course/club?

Yes, the old South County. Fine course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Both Citywest & Grange Castle do 7-day pay & play membership with full members rights so might be a fit for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Blessington Lakes has pay and pay membership for 150 euro. You can sign up through the club website.

Why not quote your very tempting 1st year offer for full playing rights as this is what he might look at, I think it's 495 but I stand corrected but you may clarify this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Why not quote your very tempting 1st year offer for full playing rights as this is what he might look at, I think it's 495 but I stand corrected but you may clarify this

The full membership introductory offer is 525 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Castlewarden is a very nice course and not too far out. Have a Lifestyle membership and a Pay & Play U40s membership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭kev_s88

I know Swords open and Roganstown do something similar with a pay as you play option. €350 for 7 day Swords and 5 day Roganstown with members rates to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That's pretty good - you would get a dozen rounds (ish) for your €400 sub. Annoying that you have to do a further top up of €400 if you use it all up - but I assume that new top up is then valid for 12 months.

Yep is old South county.
    I don't know about the club but i like playing that course, back 9 is the better 9 for me.

Would you consider a pavilion membership somewhere? Restricted playing rights but you get s handicap and practice facilities for way less money

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yep is old South county.
    I don't know about the club but i like playing that course, back 9 is the better 9 for me.

Would you consider a pavilion membership somewhere? Restricted playing rights but you get s handicap and practice facilities for way less money
    Love Lisheen, some brilliant holes and quite forgiving off the tee on some holes, no harm. Seems to have become the home of a lot of the old Ballinascorney members, Blessington Lakes, Hazel Grove etc.

Castlewarden is a very nice course and not too far out. Have a Lifestyle membership and a Pay & Play U40s membership

That's a good option - and reasonably accessible out the M7.

There is no detailed information on what either of these options entail but I'll try to give the club a call later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

That's a good option - and reasonably accessible out the M7.

There is no detailed information on what either of these options entail but I'll try to give the club a call later.

I'm a member in Castlewarden. I didn't put it up in my earlier post as I didn't know if their options would be available to you.

The Lifestyle membership is for under 40s, its 695 for the year. Its 7-day membership. You can play in all comps, but can't win the main prize in the majors (there is a separate lifestyle members prize in the majors). This is the membership that I have had for the last 2 years.

The Pay&Play, under 40 membership, as far as I know, is only a 5-day membership, though I'm not 100% on that.

Both options were only released with limited availability. When the Lifestyle came up first I didn't get it, so was a fully paid up member, but was put on the waiting list. A year later, there was a Lifestyle slot opened up, so I got it, and have kept it since.

Best bet would be to ring the guys in the office to get an update on numbers & the conditions of the deals.

It is a really nice club & very accessible as its just off the M7. They installed a driving range about 2 years ago, and have a nice walled chipping & putting green.

Members are very friendly & they are active in interclub competitions too, should that interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Johnsee

Yeh Lisheen springs...Back 9 very good...front 9 not so...

Charlesland do flexi mmbership I think also €1300 i think....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Both Citywest & Grange Castle do 7-day pay & play membership with full members rights so might be a fit for you.

CItywest do a really good pay and play option for €320, full members rights too.

CItywest do a really good pay and play option for €320, full members rights too.

Yeah but its a crappy course. If that area suits, the Castlewarden deal is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Yeah but its a crappy course. If that area suits, the Castlewarden deal is much better.

I like it, no two holes the same. If they got rid of the pylons on 2... haven’t played castle warden though.

Advertisement