Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Primary school Irish books 1988-1995

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

I loved 'Dioscó na mBó' and also 'tine cnamh'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

:DI loved those books so simple and straight forward. Absolutely LOVED the huggy bear range for junior infants. He wore he's scarf EVERYWHERE. :cool:
    I'm a big enough to admit I was jealous of his sl*pp*r gf patsy panda. Who writes on a bath in lipstick?:confused:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

An cuimhin leat Ronán agus Aine???

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭transylman

Had a look through some of the old school books recently. Couldn't find any books but did find this rare example of an unspoiled coipleabhar.

photo094e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Fugly wrote: »
    :DI loved those books so simple and straight forward. Absolutely LOVED the huggy bear range for junior infants. He wore he's scarf EVERYWHERE. :cool:
    I'm a big enough to admit I was jealous of his sl*pp*r gf patsy panda. Who writes on a bath in lipstick?:confused:!!

Haha! Jaysis, I was just talking about the lipstick in the bath incident with my bf this morning!

Those Rith Liom books were so depressing - all that grammar when you only were 7 or 8!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I remember Sugradh, Streets Ahead Maths and Tried & Tested Maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

God all my books were in irish in primary school. All I really remember is

Stair
    Foclóir....was a red book really and was what it says.
    Gafa le Mata (me arse like!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thelittleone

haha this brings me back! i remember tara and ben and their dog holly in english. was maths mastery the one with the pull out tests for every month or something?! there was away with words in english aswell, bun go barr in irish, the pied pipper for music (think they still use that). there was one called look around with a cool cover aswell i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Same here I still have all my books, I kept most of my childhood links like that and have a whole corner of the attic stuffed with toys and books etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

The other primary school in town had Tara and Ben, we had Huggy Bear. Cue weird divide between us all, even to this day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I found a few more since my last post! In my school all of the books were rented to the students for like £10/ term or whatever and as a result I do not have all the my old school books. Naturally with the rented books they were in a pretty atrocious condition so whenever I got a rented book that was too bad I would make my parents buy it for me instead and a result I have Tine Chnámh and the other Two were belong to my sister. I think Tine Chnámh was in 5th or 6th class as the material seems pretty advanced.

I was in Primary school from 1992 to 2000 and left aged 13, I was never good at Irish and was exempted from the subject that Autumn when I entered Secondary school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

i know its a little off topic but after seeing the picture of the copies anyone remember the milk cartons (monahan milk / or champion milk not sure) with the pictures and bio profile of a number of sports stars eg christy ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

I remember Diosco na mBo and the cows all had a disco in the cowshed. How unreal was that?

Having said that, it was an attempt at something light hearted and it was a change from, 'An Timpiste'.

On the subject of an Timpiste. I remember our teacher telling us that in the Irish comhra series that was on the projector, Mammy was only shown driving a car once in the 8 years. That was the time she crashed it! The teacher was great though and used it to make a point about how outdated the series had become. That's probably why he didn't use it much and did more interesting stuff with us instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

sugarman wrote: »
    They sound familiar alright.. cant actually recall them properly.. i remember a book called "Bun go barr" though. Wheather i used it or i remember from my sister i could'nt tell ya.

bun go barr! i struggled so much with that book in 5th/6th class, but thats because i was shyte at irish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kizzabel

this Pol you talk of...
    is he the same Pol of Pol Peiste fame??
    a worm yeah?
    i remember tine chnamh but what was it about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Good memory!!!

There's a list of them on the Gill and McMillan website

Siúil Liom
    Rith Liom
    Suas Liom
    Gluais Liom
    Bog Liom
    Buail Liom
    Tar Liom

Think I had most of those, my younger brother used ispini agus subh etc

we had these too.. all i can remember was the illustrations were god-awful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 toner40

Jaygon2009 wrote: »
    Does anybody remember the old Irish books we used at primary school?

The readers I can remember were:
    Ispíní agus Subh
    Diarmuid an Dragúin
    Tine Chnámh
    Dioscó na mBó

The exercise books were:
    Tig liom
    Bog liom
    Gluais liom
    Rith liom
    Siúil liom

Anyone remember these and what order they came in?
    Hi If you have any of those books and you want them to have a useful life, the gaelscoil my kids go to still use them and would love to get some more copies as alot of the books are starting to fall apart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 toner40

we had these too.. all i can remember was the illustrations were god-awful!!
    Hi If you still have any of these books I would love to get my hands on them as they are still used in my kids school but they are very difficult to come by. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Fabio

kraggy wrote: »
    Figure it Out
    Busy at Maths
    Footprints (history)
    Gluais Liom
    Remember them well...gees I should never have come on here I feel old haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Another Classic:
    http://www.notquitenewstuff.com/shop_image/product/11475.jpg

Anyone remember a set of books they were fairly thin book ,
    One was Green and White the other
    more advanced one was Brown and white
    that had Irish Phrases in them with some B/W line drawings on some pages.

There was also an Orange Coloured Grammer Book with
    Past Tense, Future Tense etc etc that you had to memorize like the
    tables.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Casei11

Jaygon2009 wrote: »
    Bun go Barr came in around 1995 I think and the series has been revamped since, probably keeping in line with the revised syllabus in 1999.

great book,they shoul dhave had an irish version of tara and ben!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

fergusm76 wrote: »
    I remember Away to Fairyland in 1st
    Myth and Magic in 2nd
    Treasure Seekers was in there somewhere (possibly 5th)
    The others are a blur

silver springs was another one , the arrival of the new school books was an eagerley awaited event when i was a nipper

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Dr. Feelgood

good memories in here, even though i probably hates those books at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

bullets wrote: »
    There was also an Orange Coloured Grammer Book with Past Tense, Future Tense etc etc that you had to memorize like the
    tables.

~B

Was there not another grammer book with a purple colour that done the same thing (i.e. Past, Present and Future tense in irish)? I can't say I remember an orange coloured book, but I do remember a purple one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Newbie87

Anyone remember an English reader that was about a mammy and daddy and 2 kids and then later on in the series they had a baby...the teacher had a large sized reader...Cant for the life of me remember any more information on this. I also remember ispini agus subh and bun go barr also a maths book with a clown on the front juggling numbers and come and see and my friends, they had the religion songs at the back, the tapes where all the kids sang like muffled angels!! Must see if my primary school teachers remember anymore, some still work there and they taught me from junior infants!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

aww, Tara and Ben:) Didn't they have a cousin Conor too?

I also remember Rírá, Mici in other books. What were the names of the other 2?

Bun go Barr

and Tús na Gramadaí(awful) :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Kojak wrote: »
    Was there not another grammer book with a purple colour that done the same thing (i.e. Past, Present and Future tense in irish)? I can't say I remember an orange coloured book, but I do remember a purple one.

Ceart Litriú? Not sure if I spelt that right (ironically!). There was also Ceart Litriú 2, with a green cover.

I remember having Siúil Liom and Rith Liom in 1st and 2nd class, I found the drawings disturbing for some reason (the same artist did some stories in the Magic Pencil (3rd class English), I think it was a Flat Stanley extract. In 3rd class we had Bun Go Barr (1996/97) so that must have been around the time the change took place.

Oh and Tara & Ben FTW! Who could ever forget the story about the toothpaste factory overflowing (which now that I think about it made no logical sense as surely they would have run out of raw material before it got to that extent - major plot hole).

I did work experience in a primary school later on, now instead of Tara & Ben they had "Len & Jen", which were some kind of blob creatures. Seemed like they dumbed down the course, having the main characters as humans must have been seen as too complicated for Infants to understand by then.

In 6th class we had three maths books, Busy at Maths, Figure it Out and some other one, Sums Okay sounds familiar for some reason...

Advertisement