Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Online Courses

• 18-08-2009 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Hi. Unemployed and recently just browsing around looking for free courses, not to gain any certificate, more to train the brain/use my unemployed time wisely.

Am entitled to FAS eCollege courses so have signed up there.

Found a great Excel tutorial for free which is something I always was interested in learning more about. It originates from Lynda.com which seems a great site. They charge, but I 'stumbled' across this for free so giving it a bash.

Are there any good sites or courses out there people know of? Of any subject really. Someone might be interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Some of the top universities in America have committed to providing free course material online. One is MIT, some great stuff there, including video and audio of lectures:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tedcreed

Not sure what part of the country you are from but there is a part-funded management/entpreneurial skills training program available in September in Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Great find hotspur! That should keep me busy for a bit.

Don't know if I could get to that course tedcreed, thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

That MIT course site looks great hotspur.

These sites don't really provide courses but they're good if your interested in learning in general.www.ted.com provides some very interesting lectures by highly respected academics in their field.
    www.w3schools.com has lots of good tutorials for learning about web developing,designing, building etc.
    If you find anymore let us know. :)

chilly wrote: »
    That MIT course site looks great hotspur.

These sites don't really provide courses but they're good if your interested in learning in general.www.ted.com provides some very interesting lectures by highly respected academics in their field.
    www.w3schools.com has lots of good tutorials for learning about web developing,designing, building etc.
    If you find anymore let us know. :)
    Loving that ted.com chilly.
    Some great lectures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Are you interested in languages at all?
    I'm using livemocha.com at the moment for learning Russian. It's a bit random, started off with things like 'A fat girl' instead of the usual 'my name is'.
    Also, it expects you to know the alphabet so many pick Spanish/French etc. I found another site (russianlessons.net) to learn the alphabet from.

MAybe someone will be interested in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Open University offer a lot of free course units through the Open Learn site. I did one of these before deciding to do a full Open University course. The quality of the free material is excellent, well worth a look - http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/

Some really great sites here lads that I had no idea existed.
    That Open Learn site is great.

A mod should form a list and sticky it I think, and leave it open to be added to.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Bizzi Lizzy

If it's Excel, Word, Powerpoint or Access there is a great site here http://alison.com/ I used it when I was doing my ECDL and I thought it was better than the one FAS made us use

I would like to second the idea there that this should be amde a sticky. I still come back here sometimes to find the addresses of those free courses. Some of them are great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Go on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Durkheim

Some of these are fantastic.
    Sofia
    About U
    BBC
    Berklee Shares
    Connexions
    Covenant Worldwide
    Fathom
    Suite 101 U
    MERLOT
    OER Commons
    GCF Learn Free

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Desert Rose

I found this amazing website with loads of links to free tutorials!!

http://librarysupportstaff.com/ed4you.html#Online%20Tutorial

I haven't tried any of them yet (I just found them) but they seem interesting!

I have found most of the things posted on this thread very helpful too, so thank you!

Today, I checked out most of the "free" tutorial links at the website I suggested and they aren't all free as they claim to be.. :(
    Sorry about that..

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

I am doing the Excel course (badly needed) on the allyson site recommended and just looking at all the open learning options, might do a few maths tutorials to keep the brain ticking over ... I am back in part-time college and hoping this excel will get me up to speed as it seems to be used alot. thanks for the links, I'll post again after a few courses to see how it is going. :D

Today I came across this site too
    http://www.openculture.com/2007/07/freeonlinecourses.html

I don't check all the courses I post here so don't know how good they are but if anyone has time to check a few of them out it would be lovely to get feedback.

Pablo you mentioned you might do some math tutorials so you might find something here
    http://www.openculture.com/math_free_courses
    ...but again I don't know if they are good or not.

Yale university has some free online courses too and I am currently doing the introduction to psychology one which I found quite good.

Here is the link
    http://oyc.yale.edu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Hi,

I am doing part time study in DBS. Can somebody recommend some free online sites for basic accounting and also some decent books.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

Forky wrote: »
    Hi. Unemployed and recently just browsing around looking for free courses, not to gain any certificate, more to train the brain/use my unemployed time wisely........are there any good sites or courses out there people know of? Of any subject really. Someone might be interested.

By now you have probably found a course that suits you too a "T". However, for anybody else who is recently unemployed I would suggest taking the following steps in order to access training and/or educational opportunities. Our VECs are amongst one of the best kept secrets in the country, and yet they are linked into training programmes throughout the length and breadth of the country. Many programmes are offered in partnership with other statutory agencies i.e. FAS.

My advice for what it is worth is to:

1. Contact your local Vocational Educational Committee (VEC) service. (Link to all 33 VECs in country can be found here: http://www.ivea.ie/)

2. Organise a meeting with an Adult Guidance Counsellor http://www.ncge.ie/adult_details.htm

He/she will outline all your available options with regard to accessing education/training opportunities within your own area (and further afield).

To the best of my knowledge this service is offered completely free of charge (however you should query this when you phone to make an appointment).

They will help you explore a whole range of full-time and/or part-time programmes (if unemployed - many of these are on offer free of charge).

They can also offer support with CV preparation; interview skills and more.

I hope the above is helpful.

Cheers

I found a few free media training courses on BBC's website
    http://www.bbctraining.com/onlineCourses.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

cheers for the m i t link. if I did do one of the m i t course are the recognized over here in ireland land of drink and magic ?

• Advertisement

cable842 wrote: »
    cheers for the m i t link. if I did do one of the m i t course are the recognized over here in ireland land of drink and magic ?

You won't get a qualification unless you are enrolled on a course.
    The MIT links are to some course materials, you can study them but there is no free qualification available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OnAndUp

I work as a teacher, and got an email from www.alison.com during week, they now have 200 online courses in every possible subject, they're based in Galway. Got another email saying they got an award from UNESCO for providing free courses wow! am working through the Health and Safety ones and they are good!

Where can I find out about more free stuff like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

kagni wrote: »
    Open University offer a lot of free course units through the Open Learn site. I did one of these before deciding to do a full Open University course. The quality of the free material is excellent, well worth a look - http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/

Do you get a certificate or anything to say that you've completed one of these courses. There seems to be a huge selection. I've paid for courses with the OU, and they're very highly regarded, so I'd imagine if you got something that said you'd completed a course with them, it would look good on a CV.

amz5 wrote: »
    Do you get a certificate or anything to say that you've completed one of these courses. There seems to be a huge selection. I've paid for courses with the OU, and they're very highly regarded, so I'd imagine if you got something that said you'd completed a course with them, it would look good on a CV.

I don't think there is any certificate to say you have completed a course. I don't believe there are any complete courses on OpenLearn anyway, just material taken from some of the course modules they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 garr23

OnAndUp wrote: »
    I work as a teacher, and got an email from www.alison.com during week, they now have 200 online courses in every possible subject, they're based in Galway. Got another email saying they got an award from UNESCO for providing free courses wow! am working through the Health and Safety ones and they are good!

Where can I find out about more free stuff like this?

This site looks great, thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

garr23 wrote: »
    This site looks great, thanks for posting.

Before taking part in any courses (free or otherwise) - you really need to check with the course provider if their certification is recognised by the National Qualifications Authority (NQAI) and if so where it is placed on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ). If it not placed on the NFQ than it will not be recognised by employers and/or other education providers. More on the NFQ can be found at www.NQAI.ie

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Annmac16

I'm a great fan of online courses - FAS will fund certain courses if they are apporved and you're unemployed - it's worth having a chat with them , a friend of mine who is an enemployed teacher (those bloody cutbacks!) got her fees paid by FAS, she recently completed an online post grad degree course with ICEP Europe so it's worth a try!

Annemac16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Possibly a rather weird request, but am looking for some form of free online programme/software to practise dictaphone typing. I've downloaded a few from searches, but they're only Trials, and they don't work properly for some reason, and ya need 3or4 other bitsnbobs for them to work right etc etc. .....

I know traditionally with dicta-typing you have yer machine/recorder and pedal and stuff, but I know some places like hospitals transfer the voice recordings needing to be typed over the net, play them back and type them out and that's how it rolls lol. So am looking for something along that line to just get in some practice anyway. I guess I could do something quick-fix and record something myself to work with, but obviously would prefer something business-like and official with various voice accents and varying voice speeds. So if any-one can point me in the direction of something free, not-needing any extra bits that's easily accessible and works straight off I would much appreciate it. Cheers! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

Any free horticulture online courses ?

Advertisement