Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It's a reality TV show. I don't consider enduring abuse from an obvious moron for the sake of getting on TV to be an achievement.
    But hey, take it seriously if you want.

And yet you watched it, smart move on your part alright.

It's fluff alright, but you are right, you wouldn't be able to endure it, very, very few would (and do) pass the real Ranger course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

And yet you watched it, smart move on your part alright.

It's fluff alright, but you are right, you wouldn't be able to endure it, very, very few would (and do) pass the real Ranger course.
    I very much doubt that the 'real' ranger course is all that difficult. It simply doesn't need to be.

I very much doubt that the 'real' ranger course is all that difficult. It simply doesn't need to be.

How so?

Even though the Irish Army is small so you'd expect the standard on average lower than other elite forces, the standard is still hard to reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

Really enjoyed that. First time in a while I have enjoyed an RTE show so much. Well done to all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

How do you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Jaysis.

You are dead wrong. You saw a very mild 1 hr of tv, probably from your nice warm, dry house on a comfy couch.

The Selection Course lasts 9 months. Then the real training starts.

Military training is hard and its hard for a reason. Special Forces training is harder again and it has to be.

You saying "it simply doesnt need to be" is because you have no comprehension of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Very poor so far compared to the UK version where the tasks involve so much more teamwork, perhaps next week will be better.

The eff word is ruining it, it's devalued when it's mentioned twice in every sentence.

Not great so far, too much like sas but nowhere near as good, might get better hopefully

are we not neutral or consigned to peace keeping so whats with all this we operate in the shadows, covert like!!! I don't see liam neeson and lee marvin there hopping in and out of the congo shooting fook out of rubber trees!!

that said I really enjoyed the program, the tall liam neeson looking lad is funny he curses so much. that girl was a tough person mentally I have to say. So much for the juiced up looking ALPHA!! her body from the neck down let her down due to cold but that could happen to anyone just like mountain sickness. the difference with her was from the neck up, she seemed fine, coherent and stable enough to say yes I'm fine, good on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thumbs up from myself and the wife, very entertaining.

Looking forward to the next episode.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Why anyone would want to partake in this program is beyond me......being bawled at and sworn in almost every sentence and every second word being fcuk by a meat head of an instructor.....definite thumbs down for me. Other than attention seeking i dont see any other reason why anyone would volunteer to go on this show to be publically humiliated.......as usual most people’s critism seems to be limited to that it’s not a patch on the ‘uk version’......?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Other than attention seeking i dont see any other reason why anyone would volunteer to go on this show to be publically humiliated.......as usual most people’s critism seems to be limited to that it’s not a patch on the ‘uk vesion’......?

Easier ways to seek attention.

I'd imagine most wanted the physical and mental challenge of surviving the training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Easier ways to seek attention.

I'd imagine most wanted the physical and mental challenge of surviving the training

There are more private ways of doing this then putting yourself through it on a tv program with a significant portion of the nation looking on......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There are more private ways of doing this then putting yourself through it on a tv program with a significant portion of the nation looking on......

Here's an idea Road-Hog, don't watch it anymore.

Find something that you enjoy watching and watch that instead, life is too short.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

There was a good show with Bear Grylls about 13 years ago before he became the piss drinking scamp we all know and love. Can't remember the name but it was about him and a few others doing the selection and training for the French Foreign Legion. Was very entertaining. The training officer was a demon to them but a nice guy as I remember when interviewed alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What other ways of taking on this specific challenge are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

What other ways of taking on this specific challenge are there?

Joining the Army. Serving a few years and putting yourself forward for selection to the Army Ranger Wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

As a first episode I thought that compared well with the UK equivalent shows. It's going to be lower budget but the challenge looked just as hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Heckler wrote: »
    There was a good show with Bear Grylls about 13 years ago before he became the piss drinking scamp we all know and love. Can't remember the name but it was about him and a few others doing the selection and training for the French Foreign Legion. Was very entertaining. The training officer was a demon to them but a nice guy as I remember when interviewed alone.

That's right they did a month of what's needed to get into the legion. It was filmed by the BBC. Might be available on YouTube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Moved from Television

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

Missus and I watched it there on the player. Enjoyed it. Shows that it takes more than physical fitness to make the cut. The mental aspect is more important.

Regarding people not liking the effing, cursing and shouting, you might not understand why it's there. It's about having total control of your bidy, emotions and fears. Look at when the fella, I think number 1 had to stand and watch as the rest of the team had to do a punishment exercise. He was close to breaking just judging by the face. But he sucked it up and took it.

How so?

Even though the Irish Army is small so you'd expect the standard on average lower than other elite forces, the standard is still hard to reach.

I don't buy it for a second. I imagine if any officers tried any 'full metal jacket' type bullying/harassment/maltreatment on candidates during training/selection, those candidates would be quick to sue the state. I can remember the 16,500 deafness claims that cost the state 300m because the state did not provide adequate ear protection during firing exercises. I am sure the selection training tests are quite tough but all the shouting, cursing, masking is for Reality TV purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I know of two people in the military full time. One went through the Cadets course in the Defence Forces. It sounded very tough and he would say, although he very well could be biased, that the course was much tougher, particularly mentally, than the basic Defence Forces training. I guess they need to try and test and break the cadets if they are going to be future officers and leaders.

The other went to the Royal Marines. I wouldn't know him well but I heard from those closer to him that it nearly broke him, and this is a guy whose nickname is Action Man.

Both were in the RDF before that so they had a decent basic grounding in military training.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agree it will an ordinary Joe. This stuff is primarily mental.

Keep the mind focused and body can go for a long time.

On a few of the discovery Channel type shows of hell week for the Seals, they always say its not the biggest or strongest that make it through but those with mental reserves to break through the wall that wants you to call it quits.

Was episode 2 on last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Was episode 2 on last night?

Airs Thursday nights. Think last night was a repeat of the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I have to say I really enjoyed it. The abuse they give them is part of whole military training regime. It has been clearly thought out and developed by armies over the centuries. How else do you get a person to run towards flying bullets. Also it teaches soldiers to think under extreme duress. I’m sure ISIS wouldn’t be talking to you in a calm measured reasonable tone as they poured a can of petrol over you or were about to throw you off a building.
    The army ranger wing has a top class reputation amongst there peers worldwide and regularly train with other special forces and compete against them. I stand to be corrected but I think they win the sniper competition in special forces games 2 or three years ago.
    Anyway, I found the programme enjoyable

I don't buy it for a second. I imagine if any officers tried any 'full metal jacket' type bullying/harassment/maltreatment on candidates during training/selection, those candidates would be quick to sue the state. I can remember the 16,500 deafness claims that cost the state 300m because the state did not provide adequate ear protection during firing exercises. I am sure the selection training tests are quite tough but all the shouting, cursing, masking is for Reality TV purposes.

You are quite wrong, 100% wrong, you couldnt be any wronger.

You are quite wrong, 100% wrong, you couldnt be any wronger.

I don't think wronger is a word but which part of my post is incorrect?
    16,500 members or former members of the Irish Army did sue the state for circa 300,000,000 Euros from 1992 to 2002 over deafness claims.

I imagine the physical tests in the selection/evaluation process are very rigorous and exhausting but I doubt they are putting blacks bags on candidate's heads, constantly shouting/cursing and making them do silly stuff. They are professionals and expect professional tests of physical endurance and decision making under duress but this show is pure Reality TV which makes for fun viewing I suppose.

According to Wikipedia, the first module of training is as follows;
    The Selection Course had been conducted over 3 weeks after being reduced in 2006 from 4 weeks. Module 1 assesses a candidate's level of physical fitness, motivation and suitability to progress on towards further modules (2-5) of the SOFQ course similar to the previous selection course. Candidates must pass a series of fitness assessments, map reading and individual navigation assessments, claustrophobia, water confidence, and psychometric testing. The final phase of Module 1 includes individual navigation exercises with set weights over unknown distances and completion times which can be over 250 km, culminating in an additional 65 km cross-country march carrying a 65 lb combat load in the Dublin & Wicklow mountain range. On average candidates get between four and five hours sleep per a night. Officer and senior NCO candidates are subjected to separate, rigorous scrutiny of their planning and decision-making skills to determine the suitability. The length of Module 1 is 3 weeks similar to the previous selection course length.Typically 85% of candidates fail Module 1.Between 2000 and 2005, approximately 240 attempted selection, including a female, with 50 successful.

• Advertisement

I don't think wronger is a word but which part of my post is incorrect?

No its not a word, was just being silly. Your assessment of how selection works is incorrect. The portrail in the show is accurate so far...tame but accurate.
    16,500 members or former members of the Irish Army did sue the state for circa 300,000,000 Euros from 1992 to 2002 over deafness claims.

I have no issue with deafness claims. I have no idea of the number of claims or payouts, you might be correct.
    I imagine the physical tests in the selection/evaluation process are very rigorous and exhausting but I doubt they are putting blacks bags on candidate's heads, constantly shouting/cursing and making them do silly stuff. They are professionals and expect professional tests of physical endurance and decision making under duress but this show is pure Reality TV which makes for fun viewing I suppose.

As I said above, what you see on the show is tame but accurate. Also, they dont do "silly stuff". Everything is done for a reason, you just dont realise it.

This is not a dramatisation "for the cameras".
    According to Wikipedia, the first module of training is as follows;

Never mind Wikipedia...its very out of date.

Advertisement