Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwback Thursday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Csalem

tnegun wrote: »
    Really enjoy this thread, thanks for posting the pics! Quick question I travelled a lot on the 65 in the 90's and very ocassionally a KD would turn up on the route and break down climbing the Embankment or at least need a 30 min rest stop to cool off! Am I remembering properly did some of these have blue seating? I remember one standing out as it had blue seating and was very unusual at the time as the rest had green.

I am told KD 1 was delivered with blue seats. The VanHools and Atlanteans had blue seats too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Actually I had assumed it was a KD, I hadn't realised the VanHools and Atlanteans lasted into the 90's too so was likely one of those. The 65 was mostly operated by RH/RA back then so it was a pleasnt suprise when something else showed up.

It is 2013 and the 41X is a busy little bus route. DT 6 and GT 45 are seen on D'Olier Street, both with a 41X to UCD Belfield. The 41X is one of a number of Xpresso routes operated by Dublin Bus. These routes operate in the peak hours only (mostly) and have limited stops. They are designed to be faster versions of the regular routes that serve the same areas. The one version that sort of goes beyond the peak hour limitation is the 84X to Newcastle. The 41X connects Swords with the City Centre and UCD Belfield. For a lot of its journey to the city centre it uses the M1 and Dublin Port Tunnel. That latter routing caused some controversy earlier this century when private operator Swords Express objected to Dublin Bus using the tunnel, but that was later resolved. In more recent times the 41X has been extended beyond Swords Manor to the new housing development at Knocksedan.
    Although GT 45 is still with Dublin Bus, DT 6 was withdrawn in 2017 along with the rest of the Dennis Tridents. 17/01/2013

31837719817_c784dfd5ea_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (158) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we go back to 2012 and to a bus route no longer operated by Dublin Bus. AV 76 and AV 395 are seen at Dundrum, both on route 161. This route connects Dundrum with Rockbrook via Whitechurch. This route commenced in 1999 and originally terminated at Nutgrove Shopping Centre. It was operated by mini-buses but in later years it has become a double-decker route. Although the route destination is shown as Rockbrook, the bus route actually continues on along Tibradden Road for the bus to turn around near Marlay Park. From January 20th 2018 Go-Ahead Ireland took over the route and single-deckers returned to the route.
    AV 76 was delivered to Dublin Bus in 2000 and AV 395 in 2004. By 2014 AV 76 was operating the UK, while AV 395 finished its days in Summerhill, being withdrawn in 2018.
    24/01/2012

39899000873_bff42b6e10_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (159) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

It is 1998 and KD 238 is at Dublin Airport. The bus is not going on its summer holidays, but rather it is operating route 230. This route connected Dublin Airport with Swords, Malahide and Portmarnock. The route started in 1991, but in 2008 it was merged with the DART Feeder route 102 which ran from Seabury in Malahide to Portmarnock and Sutton. The new route adopted the number of the 102 and provided a useful orbital in north County Dublin. In 2018 the route was taken over by Go-Ahead Ireland. The bus is seen at the traditional 230 terminus at Dublin Airport, though the current 102 terminus is closer to the church at the airport.
    KD 238 entered service with CIE around 1982 and survived with Dublin Bus until October 2000, ending its days in Summerhill Garage.
    The ad on the side of the bus is for 98Fm, who currently have a new campaign running on buses in January 2019. 31/01/1998

46216249054_4b8a218520_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (160) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement

It is 1984 and KC 20 is seen in Rialto with a 17. This route is one of the orbital routes in Dublin city, in that it connects the suburbs together rather than with the city centre. In 1984 the 17 connected Rialto with Dolphin's Barn, Crumlin, Dundrum and Blackrock. The route still does this today in 2019. In 1984 when this photograph was taken, the route was operated by CIE. Dublin Bus took over upon its formation in 1987 and then in 2019 Go-Ahead Ireland assumed responsibility for it and other orbital routes in Dublin.
    KC 20 was delivered new to Donnybrook in 1981 and ended its career at Phibsborough Garage in the 1990s.

47019290531_245b54dff3_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (161) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Reminds me of my student days.

It is a grey day in February 2010, and AV 217 is seen in Drumcondra. It is operating route 40A from Parnell Street to Charlestown via Finglas. The 40 family of routes are synonymous with Finglas, although the 40B is a bit of an outlier as it goes to Toberburr near St. Margarets. The 40A served some of the estates in Finglas off Cardiffsbridge Road before terminating in the village. In 2009 the route was extended to the new development at Charlestown. By the end of 2011 the 40A had been absorbed into the new cross-city 40 which ran from Finglas to Liffey Valley. The 40 itself was extended to Charlestown in 2017.
    Whitworth Road in Drumcondra runs beside and above the railway line served by trains to Docklands Station. It is a busy bus route with the 40s all serving it. In the past the 13 to Ballymun also went this way. It is also heavily used by Bus Eireann. 12/02/2010

32147694367_b3ffb561b2_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (162) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

It is February 1984 and C 160 only has a few days left in service. This Leyland Leopard with bodywork by Metal Sections Limited was delivered new to CIE in 1966. It was first allocated to Ballina (in County Mayo) when new in 1966. In November 1971 it transferred to Clontarf Garage in Dublin where it continued to work for the next 13 years. With the arrival of the new Bombardier KC Class in February 1984, the final C's were withdrawn and C 160 moved to Dundalk. It took up a new career there as a school-bus which it continued for over a decade before it was finally preserved. Over 50 years after it entered service, this bus is still with us today.
    C 160 is seen on Lower Gardiner Street at the terminus for the 27. This route connected the City Centre with Coolock via Fairview and Bonnybrook. In 2011 the route was merged with the 77 become a long cross-city route from Clare Hall to Jobstown. 22/02/1984

46249037815_9749171a8a_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (163) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

It is 2013 and AV 333 is seen on the 13 to Harristown. And to continue with the 3 theme, AV 333 was delivered new to Dublin Bus on 2003. This bus spent most of its career operating out of Harristown Garage, although in 2013 it moved to Summerhill. It was withdrawn in 2017 after spending some time in Broadstone Garage. This is a bus that has gotten around a bit.
    Route 13 connects Harristown with Grange Castle This was one of the cross-city routes corrected by Network Direct in the early-2010s. Traditionally the 13 was the route that connected the City Centre with Ballymun. Clondalkin was connected by the 51 family of routes. When the merger happened the 13 won out and became the number of thew new route. The 51 only lives on now in the 51D and 51X.
    The bus is seen passing the Luas Red Line on James Street. It is seen at the point where the tram line turns off to descend Steeven's Lane to Heuston Station.In the background the Luas line passes through St. James Hospital, the site where the new National Children's Hospital is being built. As a result of that, the 13 may become a much busier route in future, if it survives Bus Connects. 27/02/2013

46325882475_ca59607863_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (164) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Csalem wrote: »
    The 51 only lives on now in the 51D and 51X.

And to some extent the 151 aswell

We have a first for Throwback Thursday this week - a picture taken after I started doing Throwback Thursday. What was once the present, is now the past.
    AV 415 is seen crossing D'Olier Street as it heads from Fleet Street to Townsend Street. This bus was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 2005. During its career it has operated out of Conyngham Road and Ringsend garages. In February 2019 it became the last AV in service at Ringsend.
    Here it is seen operating route 56A which connects The Square, Tallaght, with Ringsend. Along the way it passes the Go-Ahead Ireland garage at Ballymount, a bus company that started to take over a number of Dublin Bus routes in 2018 and operate them on behalf of Transport for Ireland. This company was announced as the winner of this contract in 2017.
    Finally AV 415 is seen in an all-over ad for Lucozade Sport. In June 2015 it received an all-over ad for Coca-Cola. Then around September 2015 it received this Lucozade ad which, as we can see here, it maintained for over 6 months. The Lucozade ad was also on a VG, the first time a non-ALX 400 received a wrap. In 2018 they started to appear on EVs too.
    07/03/2016

46396716875_a42eab7a27_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (165) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Csalem wrote: »
    Finally AV 415 is seen in an all-over ad for Lucozade Sport. In June 2015 it received an all-over ad for Coca-Cola. Then around September 2015 it received this Lucozade ad which, as we can see here, it maintained for over 6 months. The Lucozade ad was also on a VG, the first time a non-ALX 400 received a wrap. In 2018 they started to appear on EVs too.
    07/03/2016

The GTs have gotten AOAs too. GT12 has had an AOA for Pretty Little Thing for nearly a year at this stage. Only buses yet to get AOAs left in the fleet now would be VTs, SGs and WSs. I don't why they don't seem to do mega tears as much any more only ever really see them on AV/Xs don't know why the SGs haven't got any mega rears or AOAs.

Indeed I had forgotten about the GT.

It is 1992 and RH 120 is seen heading north on O'Connell Street with cross-city route 10 from UCD Belfield to Phoenix Park. Until its withdrawal in 2010, this was one of the more famous bus routes in Dublin with most people's experiences of it either being to take them to college in UCD or the Zoo in the Phoenix Park. Under Network Direct, the northern half of the route was taken over by the 46A, and the southern half by the 39A.
    The bus is in an all-over ad for the "Travel Ten" ticket. This was an initiative by Dublin Bus where one prepaid ticket offered ten journeys. This ticket later morphed into the "2 Eazy" ticket, which then evolved into the current smartcard "Leap".
    RH 120 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 1991. It was withdrawn in the early-2000s and went to operate with Veolia in the United Kingdom. 14/03/1992

33503698158_d156a611bf_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (166) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Anyone know when when Supermacs replaced KFC in that unit and why did it close didn't realise there used to be a KFC there as it was a bit before my time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Anyone when when Supermacs replaced KFC in that unit and why did it close didn't realise there used to be a KFC there as it was a bit before my time

I was in it in 1994 and I remember it being Supermacs's back then. The private Galway to Dublin buses used to stop around there so it was a no brainer to locate around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

What's the burger place beside KFC, is it burgerland? I think that was there before burger King moved in further up where it is now?

It is 1995 and the 20B is making its presence known on Marlborough Street. D 689 is seen displaying an outbound working to Ardlea Road, while behind it is a KD on an inbound working to the City Centre. This route served the northern suburbs of Fairview, Donnycarney and Beaumont. The 20B was once just one route that served these areas, along with the 20 and 20A. However over the years these routes fell by the wayside and the 20B outlived them all until 2011 when it was merged with the 14. This created a new cross-city route from Beaumont to Dundrum.
    D 689 had a long career in Dublin. It was delivered new to CIE in 1975 and was withdrawn by Dublin Bus in the summer of 1996.
    Beside the bus is the offices of Church and General Insurance. This was rebranded in 1999 as Allianz. Finally, the location where the bus is parked became the Marlborough tram stop on the Luas Green Line in 2017. 20/03/1995

40466575253_07828f9e66_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (167) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Great photo with loads of change.

Bus seems very shiny. Like, new paint shiny.

Bonus 323 saloon there off to the right.

• Advertisement

It is Good Friday in 2013 and AX 529 is seen on Sundrive Road in Kimmage. The bus is operating a short working on route from Palmerstown Village to Appian Way in Ranelagh. The full 18 continues on to Ballsbridge and Sandymount Village. This is one of the orbital bus routes in Dublin, and can trace its origins back to the trams. Back then it held the distinction of being the only orbital tram route (meaning it did not serve the city centre). In March 2019, Go-Ahead Ireland took over the operation of this route from Dublin Bus on behalf of Transport for Ireland.
    AX 529 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 2006 and operated out of Donnybrook Garage. It subsequently transferred to Ringsend Garage late-2013.
    Sundrive Road, 29/03/13

46568747695_28e840ac8d_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (168) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Where did the short 18's go upon reaching Appian Way? Did they head back to Donnybrook or did they work back to Palmerstown? And if the latter, where did they turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Wouldn't call myself a bus enthusiast but this a great thread, very nostalgic. Will definitely be following from now on

Where did the short 18's go upon reaching Appian Way? Did they head back to Donnybrook or did they work back to Palmerstown? And if the latter, where did they turn?

They went back to Donnybrook. I don't think there were many in the timetable and I think they ran quite close to other 18s. They were almost like extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭dakar

Wouldn't call myself a bus enthusiast but this a great thread, very nostalgic. Will definitely be following from now on

Same, came across it on the front page a while back and look forward to updates now. I spent a good chunk of the 90’s between college and work traversing Dublin, so between using the buses and cursing them from my bike, this thread brings back lots of memories.

Thanks Csalem!

It is 1988 and D 421 is seen at the 64A terminus in Stillorgan. Or is it Kilmacud? The 64A ran from the City Centre to Stillorgan via Leeson Street while the 64 ran from the City Centre to Stillorgan via Ballsbridge. They shared this terminus at Stillorgan with the 62 which also ran from the City Centre but went via Ranelagh and Kilmacud. This location was also the terminus for the 52 from Sydney Parade via UCD and the replacement 3A. Over time all of these routes ended and it became the terminus for the 11 (which used Kilmacud on the destination blind and took over the 64A). Under Network Direct, Sandyford became the terminus for the 11 and this location is no longer used by buses. The 47 and 75/A pass by on the road on the left of the photo. Its location is more Stillorgan than Kilmacud. It is very close to Stillorgan Village and is practically behind the Stillorgan Shopping Centre. It is however just off the Kilmacud Road Lower, so perhaps that is where the confusion came from.
    D 421 was delivered new to CIE in 1972. It entered service at Donnybrook Garage and spent all its life there before being withdrawn and scrapped in early-1989. 05/04/1988

33659470888_3fef83d998_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (169) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I look forward every friday morning to clicking on this thread. And if ever a thread was worthy of it's own book, this is surely it. If Csalem was to ever consider gathering all the pictures and descriptions into a book format, I can gaurantee i'd buy 2 copies. Lots of self publishing options out there. Just a thought!

Thanks! It might be something I will consider some day. Until then though, all the Throwback Thursday pictures can be found in this album on Flickr in case people don't want to go back through the last 22 pages of this thread:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/60501971@N08/albums/72157660930829744

It is April 1985 and KD 5 is seen on Marlborough Street (not Abbey Street as on the caption) in Dublin. It is seen after arriving with a working on the 31 from Howth. This route can trace its origins back to the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) and was absorbed into CIE Dublin bus network in 1958. It follows the railway line from Dublin to Howth through villages such as Raheny and Sutton. However in recent times, unlike the railway, it continues through Howth Village and terminate at Howth Summit. As a result, this is a very popular bus route with visitors.
    KD 5 was delivered new to CIE in 1981. It survived in service with Dublin Bus to the mid-1990s, spending all its life at Clontarf Garage.
    The block of buildings beside the bus are no longer standing on Marlborough Street having been demolished in the early-2000s. The road beneath the bus became the Luas tram line in 2017. 11/04/1985

47586905391_b59765678e_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (170) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement

It is 1996 - the buses are green and there are no trams on Abbey Street. RH 124 is seen parked on Abbey Street between duties on the 37. Prior to the coming of the Luas, Abbey Street was one of the great bus terminii in the city. Buses could be seen parked facing west from the junction of Beresford Place to the junction of Liffey Street, with other buses parked off Strand Street. The northern side of Lower Abbey Street was also used by buses heading east and north-east. With the arrival of the Luas tram line in the early 2000s, buses were removed completely from the southside of Abbey Street. The 37 was relocated to Hawkins Street before moving to its current terminus on Wilton Terrace. The 37 in 2019 runs to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre but back in 1996 it only went as far as Castleknock.
    RH 124 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 1991 and survived in service until August 2005 (which is after the Luas tram system started). Initially sold to Ensign Bus in the UK it was sold the following year to Yahoo.
    In the background is the bank operated by TSB. In a sign of where we have come in the last twenty-years, this will reopen in May 2019 as a Wetherspoons. 18/04/1996

33760329228_c036658289_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (171) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Advertisement