Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running laminate flooring throughout rooms / hall.

• 14-04-2021 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

This was the plan til one shop advised that you would need transition between rooms to allow for contraction / expansion of boards. The other shop did not advise this.
    Who is right??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

misc2013 wrote: »
    This was the plan til one shop advised that you would need transition between rooms to allow for contraction / expansion of boards. The other shop did not advise this.
    Who is right??

Yeah a transition piece between rooms is recommended by most manufacturers . If you go with the likes of a balterio or quickstep floor you can get one matched in colour that is sturdy and barely noticeable

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You need to accommodate expansion and contraction in laminate flooring.

Manufacturers recommend this, and its clearly marked on their packaging, and transition pieces allow for
    this type of movement.

Omit these and you are inviting possible problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭misc2013

Thanks. Just think it odd that the first salesman didn't tell us this bit it makes sense.

misc2013 wrote: »
    Thanks. Just think it odd that the first salesman didn't tell us this bit it makes sense.

Probably because salesmen are sales men and not fitters:)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

I was told this was needed by one supplier. In the end they didn't put any transitions in and I ran quickstep laminate through hall and into full open plan area. No issues after 5 years. Looked great. Just my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

DM1983 wrote: »
    I was told this was needed by one supplier. In the end they didn't put any transitions in and I ran quickstep laminate through hall and into full open plan area. No issues after 5 years. Looked great. Just my experience.

Same here, Balterio laminate running from the lounge straight into the hall with no transition strips and the regular expansion gaps all around.

DM1983 wrote: »

If you are running laminate lengthwise down a hall, and then parallel with doorways into rooms, paralell with the opes, then you could possibly accomodate an expansion gap at the opposite wall from the door ope, and no need for transition pieces.

If on the other hand you are running laminate 1 metre long across a metre wide hall, along a 10 metre long hall, and into each room as you go....
    Then you effectively have a hall length of 10 metres with only expansion allowance at each end of the hall.

Any buckling in this situation, then transfers into each room.

Its down to the fitter on site to make the call, and if its a novice floor layer, then transition pieces are a safer bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Baymax2020

Laying floors 16 years and never had an issue running floors throughout a standard house, normally would allow a break in the floor if it is over 60 metres but under that it is perfectly fine to run through as long as enough expansion is left around the outside and door frames are cut right under.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭misc2013

Interesting. We would be running floor parallel with hallway and continuing same direction into 3 adjacent rooms off the hall. If we were to skip the transition pieces, are you suggesting if there was expansion area along the walls that might suffice?

25 ft approx long hall with 2 standard rooms on either side and then leading into a 38sq metre extension.

We really liked the look of the smooth run between rooms but don't want to take any risks either. We have an experienced layer lined up. He didn't pass any remarks on our plan but it was the subsequent shop who stated they felt obliged to advise against not having the transition pieces.

As Baymax 2020 has years of experience fitting laminates, I think its probably wise to follow his lead.

He is the professional on the topic clearly:)

• Advertisement

You have an experienced floor layer lined up, and you also have had advice from one here.

That would be enough to give me confidence to go ahead. You need to trust the professional you
    have picked, and go with his advice. Then if any problems occur, its his job to attend to them.

If he is already onboard, you need to trust his judgement, thats why he is a professional.
    Dont be knocking yourself out with loads of opinions from anyone else. Trust the guy you picked.

Remember if you go against his advice, and theres a problem. Its your problem forever.

Advertisement