Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

65 year old man dies in UK jobcentre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Retirement age is going up incrementally to age 70 in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Moshman

https://theliberal.ie/man-dies-inside-a-job-centre-shortly-after-being-deemed-fit-for-work/amp/

Over the last few years UK have been increasing the retirement age. It is currently 65 years 6 months and due to increase again on 1st Jan.

The poor man died just after he was declared fit to work.

He's not the first and won't be the last. This is the system our current government are keen to bring in here.

Too many old, not enough young to pay their pensions. Suits the govt. to work people until they drop. You're right, Irish govt. nearly always follows the initiatives brought in in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Sensationalist bollocks. If he had died in church would you be calling for the banning of religion?
    Now let the man rest in peace.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The first issue with this "story" is your source is theliberal.ie

Its below the Daily Mail for being utter gutter, hate mongering trash.
    Anyone reading it needs to really take a long hard look at themselves in a mirror if they think its a real news source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

The rules are very strict over there. He's probably still classed as fit for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

The deceased reportedly suffered from diabetes and was clearly not well, but officials at the centre had nonetheless deemed him ‘fit for work.’

Heartless bastards maybe some of the posters here want to work till they die but most normal people would like a few years of retirement I dont think that's too much to ask from a first world country.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sensationalist bollocks. If he had died in church would you be calling for the banning of religion?
    Now let the man rest in peace.

Given theliberals links to religious groups.....they'll never call for religion to be banned.

The owner is after all Leo Sherlock, who is brothers with Cora Sherlock who just happened to be debuty head for the NO compaign in 2018. Sherlock has spoken on television and radio on behalf of the Pro-Life Campaign and the Love Both campaigns.

Leo is a class guy and does crap like this https://www.thejournal.ie/the-liberal-apology-3494523-Jul2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

You'll be shocked when you hear how many people die in hospitals :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭badabing106

The rules are very strict over there. He's probably still classed as fit for work.
    Reminds me of this elderly guy on living on the streets in that channel 4 documentary recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

He was 25 when he went in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The UK system has become very ruthless in its approach to welfare and people do fall between the cracks, parts of the UK are noticeably poorer than here now.

I know there is a huge cohort on AH who would love that approach here, be carefull what you wish for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What's the point being made? That being in the job centre caused him to die?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah, very convenient that there happened to be 2 people in the centre that knew him, knew he had diabetes, knew the Job Centre had declared him fit to work, but didn't notice him sitting their dying in the chair and weren't able to identify him to the press don't you think?

Most media outlets in UK are reporting he was declared fit for work earlier in the year despite being unwell maybe they're all lying in a giant conspiracy to promote dole scrounging. There are thousands of cases in the UK of critically or even terminally ill people being declared fit for work anyone in favour of adopting that policy here is quite frankly evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If The Liberal (hilarious name, given the agenda of the right-winger who runs it) told me the sky was blue, I'd look out the window to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

https://theliberal.ie/man-dies-inside-a-job-centre-shortly-after-being-deemed-fit-for-work/amp/

Over the last few years UK have been increasing the retirement age. It is currently 65 years 6 months and due to increase again on 1st Jan.

The poor man died just after he was declared fit to work.

He's not the first and won't be the last. This is the system our current government are keen to bring in here.

what's your point? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Published by: Fernando Sanchez :D

I'd treat theliberal.ie the same as Boris Johnson and them, it's more effective to just start from the assumption they're lying until proved otherwise.

The welfare situation in the UK seems to have become incredibly bleak under Tory austerity but still, not believing one fcuking word from that source.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Moshman wrote: »
    You're right, Irish govt. nearly always follows the initiatives brought in in the UK.

If the Brits just had the decency to let us paint the postboxes green we needn't have bothered with that whole 1916 business at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭badabing106

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Thousands of people with diabetes are fit for work here in Ireland. Once it is controlled, I don't see the problem.

This is a load of me bollix story.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Thousands of people with diabetes are fit for work here in Ireland. Once it is controlled, I don't see the problem.

This is a load of me bollix story.

Quite. Mate of mine is Type II, considerably overweight, and drives a digger every day. Come to think of it, those may be related... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Well some of it is absolute nonsense and also not unique to the UK.
    We have practically the identical system here. The staff do not say if a person is fit to work a doctor does. The give a full assessment of a person's abilities such as ability to walk, pick up things, mental awareness etc.. then there is an education assessment. So if you spent your life as a brick layer and now can't lift anything they don't say the person is fit to work in an office doing admin work. They will say the person isn't fit for work at 64 due to retirement age.

You can be deemed fit for work and still die of an illness. It is not the same as a clean bill of health

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭I see sheep

By some of the comments here you'd think people living in Ireland really want a system like the scumbag Tories are running over here, universal credit has been an absolute disaster.

By some of the comments here you'd think people living in Ireland really want a system like the scumbag Tories are running over here, universal credit has been an absolute disaster.

We basically run the exact same system of assessment and have done for over decade which is just a modification of the prior system. Earlier systems were basically just a physical assessment and didn't use a doctor. They would ask you to pick up a potatoe from a standing position and other simple physical tests.

There was a program a few years ago where modern social welfare recipients were assessed using the old standard. One woman claimed she was unable to work was assesd by the old standard and deemed fit to work. The sent her to a job where she met an old class mate that lost her hand working there. She moaned that the job wasn't worth it because it was so little extra than payments it didn't make sense to commute and work there. Her old class mate was obviously disgusted at the attitude given the women claimed disability without any major issue while she only had one hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    We basically run the exact same system of assessment and have done for over decade which is just a modification of the prior system. Earlier systems were basically just a physical assessment and didn't use a doctor. They would ask you to pick up a potatoe from a standing position and other simple physical tests.

There was a program a few years ago where modern social welfare recipients were assessed using the old standard. One woman claimed she was unable to work was assesd by the old standard and deemed fit to work. The sent her to a job where she met an old class mate that lost her hand working there. She moaned that the job wasn't worth it because it was so little extra than payments it didn't make sense to commute and work there. Her old class mate was obviously disgusted at the attitude given the women claimed disability without any major issue while she only had one hand.

Wait , what ?
    She tried to pick up a potato with one hand ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

By some of the comments here you'd think people living in Ireland really want a system like the scumbag Tories are running over here
    Calling out an article for being sensationalist bullsh1t doesn't mean that whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

The poverty in the UK is horrendous, their.Universal Social benefits has been nothing short of a complete disaster. Hope Jeremy.wins.next election....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

look, someone has to keep the gravy train going for all of the gravy trains here, margaret cash and the twenty billion plus welfare spend, the politicians (although a pittance in the overall scheme of things) the lads in RTE etc...

Let the workers continue to slave away, retire at 70 etc. Why should anyone shoulder a reasonable tax burden, appropriate rates of LPT , water charges etc, when the workers can just pay for everything? :rolleyes:

Wait , what ?
    She tried to pick up a potato with one hand ?

Could have been written better but the woman's disability is not something I remember but not severe and she qualified under current rules. While they sent her to work in a place she met and old school mate. That school mate only had one hand which is certainly a disability and way more severe that the original woman's disability.

I vaguely recall the women's disability was a bad back that prevented her lifting heavy items and quite minor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

mariaalice wrote: »
    Retirement age is going up incrementally to age 70 in Ireland.

Maybe so we will hopefully all die before they have to pay us back the money, we have paid in all our lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

OSI wrote: »
    Any chance of a reliable source?

I don't really see the issue with his age to be honest. Plenty of people dying in their 20s every day, should we all retire at 19?

Only source I can link but all UK media have it.

His age is relevant as if he had turned 65 pre April he would have been able to retire

Advertisement