Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell Discussion: Widespread Snow Expected Overnight/Tuesday

• 04-01-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

New thread folks for the developing situation.

Cold Front (Midnight)

Situation at the moment is that a cold front is currently moving south through Scotland and is visible off the North coast of Ireland.

It will track south over the coming hours and should reach the Northern NI by midnight, it will then track south reaching a line from Dublin to Galway by 3am.

The precipitation will possibly fall as rain/sleet in the northwest and west at first before the cold air digs in behind the developing cold front.

Further east the precip should stay as Snow with some decent fall across the Midlands, Leinster and East Munster.

This front will clear the south coast by 9am.

Accumulations of of between 3-10cm will occur during the passage of this front with highest accumulations in Leinster and the Midlands.

Polar Low/ Comma Feature (Tuesday 0600)

Heavy snow showers will feed into the north and northwest after the front clears with accumulations of snow here. Then a small low that will have travelled down the west coast of Scotland will approach the North coast of Ireland by 6am, its exact track southwards is still at this time unclear.

It is likely at this moment to track down the centre of the country giving fresh falls of snow with >5cm and upto 15cm's in places.

Irish Sea Showers (Tuesday 1500)

As this feature clears winds will veer Northeasterly and a convergence zone will set up along the Irish sea with a band of snow showers forming, these showers will push onto the eastern coast from Dublin southwards from around 3/6pm with big accumulations in places as the showers are likely to be very heavy at times.

Temperatures during Tuesday will range from -1c to 2c in a strong Northeasterly wind, feeling extremely cold.

Will Discuss beyond tomorrow at another time, alot going on!

todays.gif

City Specific Snow Accumulations estimates during Tuesday.

Dublin Airport: 8cm
    Belfast: 17cm
    Shannon: 8cm
    Birr: 15cm
    Derry: 15cm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

New thread folks for the developing situation.

is this guesswork or fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Do you have to quote WC's whole post for a useless comment like that, cluttering the thread already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Is that an eye i see forming

100871.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

You don't half ramp WC but i love it :P Great analysis.

Same goes for you SA from the charts you posted at the end of the last thread southern england looks like it's in for a right pasting, As does wexford! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Light sleet reported at Derry/Eglington at 1920

METAR EGAE 041920Z 23005KT 9999 -SHRASN FEW011 BKN033 01/01 Q1014=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Fear Sneachta

Its called a forecast!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Just reposting the following ECMWF 12Z 04 Jan Precip Charts for the following few days, from the previous thread as it got closed:
    Overview

Remember I said earlier that the T+36 Fax Chart was showing the (LP) - Low Pressure centred in the southern Irish Sea at T+36, well ECWMF 12Z is rather similar, albeit slightly further to our Southeast. In these situations, bands of precipitation (snow showers in this case), will often develop on the northwestern flank of such lows, which is exactly what ECMWF models this evening.

If Met Eireann use the 12Z Output then I would expect them to highlight this risk on the 9.30PM Broadcast

Tuesday Night

100104_1200_36.png

Wednesday 06.00

100104_1200_42.png

Wednesday 12.00

100104_1200_48.png

The above risk also continues into Wednesday evening. Also, western members should watch out for Thursday, there is a risk of a shallow feature running down the West Coast, with the risk of snowfall because of this. The evolution may be a bit marginal but this is also something to watch.

From the above, it would appear that the Snowfall chances for the South & Southeast are relatively good, with many areas also at risk tomorrow as the Cold Front progresses southwards across the country.

There is also a suggestion of light snow showers off the Irish Sea towards Friday onwards, as the winds back due Easterly.

This extremely cold spell looks set to last another 5 Days at least.
    SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

redsunset wrote: »

Yes i noticed that Redsunset:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

baraca wrote: »
    You don't half ramp WC but i love it :P Great analysis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZBCcY0nJao

<3

redsunset wrote: »

Looks like the Faroe Islands gave it a little spin alright :)

• Advertisement

Midnight tonight.

Area B
    Generally light, occasionally moderate rain or sleet. Occasional snow and isolated thunderstorms to the north of the front.

Area E
    Generally dry or some light sleet showers. Occasional moderate showers of snow and small hail, with isolated heavy showers of snow and thunderstorms.

100874.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

LookingFor wrote: »

Are you saying WC works for her Majesty as a spy?? :p

Temp seems to be creeping slowly upward here, was 0.5c and hour or so bak, its 0.9c now! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

baraca wrote: »
    Same goes for you SA from the charts you posted at the end of the last thread southern england looks like it's in for a right pasting, As does wexford! lol

Thanks Baraca,

Again whilst it does indeed look favourable at the moment, we are still about T+24 or more out from the possible event so don't expect too much and then you won't be disappointed :)

However, you are right, if those charts verified from today's ECMWF then Wexford & Wicklow could potentially see up to 10cm, with up to 20cm possible on much higher ground over the entire period. Other areas in the East and Southeast could expect up to 7CM total accumulation from those series of charts.

However, I must stress once again that we are some way out yet & these charts should be viewed in light of a vast array of guidance. They could well change yet again unfortunately.

You're right also about the UK - some lucky people there will see 30CM in the coming days, with up to 40CM or more on higher ground there!!

SA :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Light snow/sleet here at the moment.

If you look at the system to the north of Scotland it looks like a very large convective circulation, extends over a large area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Fear Sneachta

Su Campu wrote: »
    Midnight tonight.

Area B
    Generally light, occasionally moderate rain or sleet. Occasional snow and isolated thunderstorms to the north of the front.

Area E
    Generally dry or some light sleet showers. Occasional moderate showers of snow and small hail, with isolated heavy showers of snow and thunderstorms.

For some reason, I cant see your images.. just a box with an "x" :confused:

Rainfall chart for 10pm

3hr-rain.gif

For some reason, I cant see your images.. just a box with an "x" :confused:

No image for me either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I just checked the forecast for Athens. It's sunny and 18 degrees. Off to the airport tomorrow then so I am. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Rougies wrote: »
    No image for me either

Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Had 30 mins snow shower in Tullow with about 1cm fallen every surface is covered roads are lethal had a bad skid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Well done WC on keeping us so informed. Camera is on charge lol. Just 1 thing - how come winds are exactly westerly. I thought we were in easterlies??

WC for Taoiseach !!! ( still) :D:D

Ditto

Sorry lads, Copy 'n Paste error! Should be ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

just started to snow in castletroy in limerick

I hope we dont have to watch a polar low slide down the west coast and give the westies a dumping!:o

jenzz wrote: »
    Well done WC on keeping us so informed. Camera is on charge lol. Just 1 thing - how come winds are exactly westerly. I thought we were in easterlies??

WC for Taoiseach !!! ( still) :D:D

I cant explain the technical details, but this map might help:

3hr-wind.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

15cm were did you get that from or was that just made up..... would be good to have that!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Well lads, just back from Liverpool and I see that all our ice/snow is still on the ground. Liverpool is cold but no sign of snow.

I'm again following this thread with great interest as I have to travel to work in the morning from D11 to the City Centre, not a long drive but going by what is forecast at the minute it could be quite difficult.

Keep up the good work lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I hope we dont have to watch a polar low slide down the west coast and give the westies a dumping!:o

Why not, we wont object!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Ditto

& me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement