Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in the Media: TV, TABLOIDS etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Snow storm.

A snow storm people..

https://www.her.ie/news/ireland-snow-storm-january-445966

I'll believe it, when I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭prunudo

I notice all the radio stations and their dj's getting excited about stunning 22c weather this weekend and how we'll be warmer than places in the Mediterranean. I expect plenty of people giving out on Tuesday about how Met Eireann never get the weather right.

And just to be clear, I'm not knocking ME, just people mis reading the weather or hearing what they want and not realising that warm weather doesn't mean sunny weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

75 years ago, the story of a weathergirl in Blacksod, Mayo, who played an invaluable part in the success of World War II's D-Day
    'Storm Front in Mayo' is on Thursday June 6 22:15 RTE1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Scientists Warn a Prolonged Solar Minimum is Coming

According to experts, the sun has now started a period of low activity which has been associated with collapsing temperatures. The scientists say that this change could last for over a decade.

Astronomers pointed out that the sun has now gone 15 consecutive days without the occurrence of sunspots. This has marked 58% of the days of 2019 with the lack of sunspots. The cycle that the sun follows entails 11 years where the sun would reach a solar maximum and would later shift into its solar minimum. When it is at its solar maximum, the sun would give off more heat. It is also frequented by a higher number of sunspots.

Space Weather reports a cosmic forecasting site, they have observed that the sun has been without spots for 15 consecutive days which points to the start of a solar minimum. The occurrence of solar minimum is of high importance as some climate experts believe that solar cycles impose a bigger threat to the Earth as compared to global warming that is caused by destructive human activities.

Vijay Jayaraj, one of the environmental scientists from the Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation, believes that global warming is the product of solar cycles. The said alliance is a Christian group that does not believe that global warming is caused by man's actions. Jayaraj pointed out that the sun is the biggest influence when it comes to global temperature.

Jayaraj added that the National Aeronautics And Space Administration (NASA) has a page explaining that solar influence has been determining the atmospheric and surface temperatures of the Earth. The scientist also cited an example explaining that temperature changes since 1990 have coincided more with the changes in solar activity as compared to atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration.

According to the Scientific community, the sun was not expected to head into a solar minimum until 2020. However, the solar minimum has started early. Experts states this would mean a prolonged cold snap for the planet. The experts feel that it is important to point out that the last time that there was a prolonged solar minimum, a mini Ice Age has occurred which lasted for 70 years. The seven decades of freezing weather, known as the Maunder minimum, lasted from 1645 to 1715. During this time, there is a very low occurrence of sunspots. 

In addition, global temperatures during the time dropped by 1.3°C that have shortened seasons and have affected the food chain that ultimately led to food shortages.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/22497/20190608/scientists-warn-solar-minimum-coming.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How to undermine a science themed article
    Vijay Jayaraj, one of the environmental scientists from the Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation, believes that global warming is the product of solar cycles. The said alliance is a Christian group that does not believe that global warming is caused by man's actions. Jayaraj pointed out that the sun is the biggest influence when it comes to global temperature.

Jayaraj added that the National Aeronautics And Space Administration (NASA) has a page explaining that solar influence has been determining the atmospheric and surface temperatures of the Earth. The scientist also cited an example explaining that temperature changes since 1990 have coincided more with the changes in solar activity as compared to atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration.
    https://www.desmogblog.com/cornwall-alliance-stewardship-creation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

You can find the same information/news story from a more "trusted" news source if you like...I suppose if it was on RTE news like "climate change" it would be taken as the truth and not questioned...if its on the telly it must be true :pac:

I prefer my science news to not be filtered through evangelical Christians!

time-lapse of a rare twisting cloud formation is captured on video, appearing to roll up like a thick blanket.
    The clouds known as Arcus, or Roll Clouds, Co Mayo
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7203835/Spectacular-time-lapse-rare-cloud-formation-rolls-like-blanket-filmed.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Originally Posted by zell12 View Post
    DailyMail - Britain braces for one of its COLDEST winters in 30 years as 'Beast from the East' makes bone-chilling return with -14C lows after jet stream shifts south

ZX7R wrote: »
    Slightly better reading than there crap about Brit exit ha

Glad I saw that DM article......it'll save me months of looking at those pesky weather models and reading all the prognostications here and on other forums.

I can now go and confidently buy some thermal underwear, woolens, bread and fuel in anticipation of this imminent Arctic onslaught in early 2020, four months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Last segment on the news on today fm at 12 noon is reporting that Britain might get hit by a 'beast from the east' next January/February. Who sanctions such items as "news"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Last segment on the news on today fm at 12 noon is reporting that Britain might get hit by a 'beast from the east' next January/February. Who sanctions such items as "news"?
    I'm currently working on a post in regards to this for the Winter 2019/20 thread :). As always, newspapers hype up utter rubbish but the source for this hype is a bit interesting and different to previous years. Details to come. Ignore the media releases anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

zell12 wrote: »

Every year you can guarantee Daily Mail will post these 2 headlines in some shape and form.

"Hottest Summer on record due to hit, Britain to have a 2 month heatwave"

"The Big Freeze, Britain set to have the coldest Winter on record."

Rinse. Latter. Repeat.

You have to admire them, two articles ready to re-print every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Anyone want to weigh in on the talk on the radio this morning that Jan/Feb 2020 may see the UK experiencing “Beast from the East” conditions? Seems ridiculously far out to be saying such a thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @KingJeremy Merged your thread in here.

They publish this sort of article every winter. No science to it....just to sell papers!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Anyone want to weigh in on the talk on the radio this morning that Jan/Feb 2020 may see the UK experiencing “Beast from the East” conditions?

Yes. I want to weigh in on this. It's a load of sh.

But but but it's in the Daily Star
    The prediction has been made in one of the first long-range UK weather forecasts ever attempted, from the University College London (UCL).
    ED-M-DZWsAEjkwD.jpg

• Advertisement

Daily Express must be fuming at this. Piers Corbyn is the king of wrong weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

But but but it's in the Daily Star
    The prediction has been made in one of the first long-range UK weather forecasts ever attempted, from the University College London (UCL).
    ED-M-DZWsAEjkwD.jpg

I cringe everytime I see this headline. And it seems to be getting earlier each year ( a bit like the Christmas ads)
    Great consistency I’ll give them that.

Nobody take these seriously. Impossible to predict this far out. I don’t have any faith in long range forecasts anymore.

OH FLIUCH Irish weather forecast – Met Eireann warn of ‘risk of flooding’ next week as Storm Sebastien is set to hit

MET Eireann warn of "risk of flooding" next week as Storm Sebastien is set to hit the country on Monday night.

Storm Sebastien is moving northeast from the tropical Atlantic where it formed and looks set to hit Ireland on Monday into Tuesday.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4810398/irish-weather-forecast-met-eireann-warn-of-risk-of-flooding-next-week-as-storm-sebastiens-set-to-hit-country/

Hottest March day in UK for 50 years prompts
    ExwfVMcWUAs_9Tu.jpg

Loughc wrote: »
    Every year you can guarantee Daily Mail will post these 2 headlines in some shape and form.

"Hottest Summer on record due to hit, Britain to have a 2 month heatwave"

"The Big Freeze, Britain set to have the coldest Winter on record."

Rinse. Latter. Repeat.

You have to admire them, two articles ready to re-print every year.

Hottest summer ever headline is coming so....

Hottest March day in UK for 50 years prompts
    ExwfVMcWUAs_9Tu.jpg

Examiner - White winter ahead: Meteorologists predict bouts of cold air and snow

AccuWeather is predicting that the opportunity for prolonged bouts of cold air will arrive across Northern Europe, especially across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Glad to see an actual meteorologist calling out the vampiric journalist class.

"Liam Dutton

@liamdutton

"The number or journalists copying, pasting and misinterpreting weather info from the internet to write stupid articles is ridiculous.

I could search about planes online, but it doesn't make me a pilot. Just like you searching for weather info doesn't make you weather experts"

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Damn clickbait post above. I was hoping for a link to the daily mail predicting a polar vortex and 6foot of snow because the postman's cat has its tail in the air 😂

Suppose I'll have to wait till next week.

• Advertisement

Who's Climatologist John Sweeney ? Apparently he's an expert.

Anyway, it's the mirror.

Advertisement