Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

• 13-12-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I was browsing Reddit and came across a thread like this that had some interesting stories. Obviously, as this is After Hours, and not Paranormal, they dont have be ghost infested stories but I'm sure many boardsies have interesting stories of their own? (or this thread will be buried in half an hour...)

Bit of a cop-out but until I can think of some of my own I've included some from the Reddit page. Obviously it goes without saying that they may be entirely untrue, but good reads nonetheless.

In the late 70's, my Uncle was studying medicine at the University of Chicago. After a morning class, he decided that he would hitchhike back home to Lincoln Park on the North side instead of pay for a taxi. A man drove up in a Plymouth Satellite and offered my Uncle a ride. The man looked normal and seemed friendly...lighthearted even, so my Uncle got in the car and they started driving towards Lake Shore Drive. However, once they got there, the man drove South on Lake Shore instead of North, towards Lincoln Park. My Uncle told the man he was going the wrong way and to turn around and head North. The man looked at my Uncle, put his hand on his knee and said, "No son, you are coming with me" and smiled darkly at him. My Uncle froze in panic, and when they hit traffic near the South Shore, he quickly unlocked the passenger door and ran away without looking back.

A year or two later on a cold December day, my Uncle was having coffee in a cafe with my future Aunt when he caught something on the TV that made his blood run cold. He saw the man that had picked him up from school that day the year before. He had been arrested for the suspected rape and killing of over 20 young men and boys. The man on the television was John Wayne Gacy. And he had removed the door handle off the passenger side door to prevent the men he picked up from escaping.

I was driving a shortcut from Twentynine Palms, CA to Albuquerque, NM. Twentynine Palms is located in the desolate high desert east of LA. The shortcut was all two lane road through total nothingness, except for passing through Amboy, CA. Amboy is a nearly abandoned town nearly as far below sea level as Death Valley, with a dormant volcano and lava field on one side and a salt flat on the other. It was also, at the time, a hotspot for satanic group activity.

So I was driving by myself in the afternoon. I stopped in Amboy and snapped a picture of the city sign, just to prove I was there to friends who dared me to take that route to I-40. I got back in my car and proceeded to drive up into the mountain range between Amboy and I-40.

Once I reach the top I am driving north through a canyon with high grass on both sides of the road. Up ahead I see some stuff in the middle of the road. As I approach I slow down to see a red Pontiac Fiero stopped sideways across both lanes, a suitcase open with clothes scattered everywhere and two bodies laying face down in the road, a man and a woman.

I stop a hundred feet or so away and the hair on the back of my neck is standing up. Being a Marine, I reach under the seat and pull out a 9mm pistol and chamber a round. Something seemed very wrong, it looked too perfect as if it were staged. An ambush? Was I being paranoid? Something was just wrong. Getting out of the car seemed unthinkable, it was the horror movie move.

As I scanned the road I saw a line I could drive. Pass the guy in the road on his left, swerve to the right side of the woman, behind the Fiero and I'd be on the other side. I dropped it into first gear, punched it and drove the line I planned.

I passed the back of the Fierro without hitting it or either of the bodies in the road. I continued forward a couple hundred feet and slowed down so I could breathe and let my heart slow down. As I looked up into the rearview mirror I saw that the two bodies had gotten up to their knees and twenty or so people emerged from the tall grass on either side of the road by the car and bodies.

At that moment my right foot smashed the gas pedal to the floor and did not let up until I had to slowdown for the I-40 east onramp.

I will never know what would have happened to me had I gotten out of the car to check on the bodies or stopped my car closer to them. Somehow I do not think it would have been good. Sometimes real life can be scarier than a movie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I remember getting a lift home one night and as i jumped in there was nobody driving the car. The car took off and as the car went to hit a tree a hand came in and turned the wheel.

I jumped out completely spooked and ran like hell following the street lights i could see nearby. I finally got to the local pub and drank about 4 whiskeys to calm down.

After 20 minutes 2 lads came in, looked at me and said "there's the prick who got into the car down the road when we were pushing it"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Argued with a doctor until he capitulated and got another doc for a second opinion on my illness. The 2nd doc agreed with me and I was sent to the hospital where I was treated. Had I not argued I would have been sent home, where I either would have died or at the very least had some horrible permanent damage like blindness or loss of limbs.

It's not creepy per se but I get a chill every time i wonder what life would be like if i wasn't feeling so argumentative that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Sky King wrote: »
    Argued with a doctor until he capitulated and got another doc for a second opinion on my illness. The 2nd doc agreed with me and I was sent to the hospital where I was treated. Had I not argued I would have been sent home, where I either would have died or at the very least had some horrible permanent damage like blindness or loss of limbs.

It's not creepy per se but I get a chill every time i wonder what life would be like if i wasn't feeling so argumentative that day.

Jesus, thats pretty terrifying. Fair play to you for arguing, I doubt I would have!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

What thread on Reddit?

What thread on Reddit?

Theres a few of them. This one asks for real and fictional stories: Link

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 29 Nailin4Whales

Creepy, you don't know the meaning of the word man. This one time I was seeing someone well more like a fb really but yano I was trying to ignore them and hope they would **** of by their own accord without any awkwardness and loike texted me 4 times without me ever sending a reply! If that wasn't bad enough they posted on my FB wall asking was I ignoring them for all my friends to see. I was loike totes meurto loike!! Such a creep!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Creepy, you don't know the meaning of the word man. This one time I was seeing someone well more like a fb really but yano I was trying to ignore them and hope they would **** of by their own accord without any awkwardness and loike texted me 4 times without me ever sending a reply! If that wasn't bad enough they posted on my FB wall asking was I ignoring them for all my friends to see. I was loike totes meurto loike!! Such a creep!

Ban please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

yeah ,

i thought the social was on to me

(joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

I get severe deja vu, like i've already been here. I had a really stong feeling I would be in Walmart in America buying a grey cardigan with my sister. Both of us live in Ireland...that happened this week.

I know and feel stuff that happens, not really strong, but I usually can tell the outcome of personal situations for people, and I really hate when I get the feeling someone is going to pass away.

I've seem my grandmother three times since she died, maybe it's just in my head, but it freaks me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The Tapestry Room in Loftus Hall, I never ever ever want to set foot inside there again and I would strongly advise anyone against it, the room is almost alive with malevolance, took me months to get back to sleep again. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I've just showed the stories in the OP to the man dressed as a clown in the back seat and he doesn't believe a word of them. Neither do I.

Hang on, I don't have a passenger, I'm on my way to collect someo\\g a afDSBIBLKVwnbKJ RJNffoqkejbnjknbaji n aejnb;onFb

\n]lf\bP

dkvqE
    nn,\fb

SPLAT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Having driven that road through Amboy upto I-40 I got serious chills. There is nothing for 40-50 miles around you, one of the most desolate spots of the Mojave.

I got caught short in more or less that location and had to take a dump, I'd just finished when a car pulled up. Had I not just shat, I would have. I was out of my truck and as a new resident didn't have any weapon in it anyway, not even a baseball bat or a knife.

Luckily it was a couple of tourists checking out the BLM marker sign and information, but next time I take that route - recommend it by the way spectacular views - it might make me think about what calibre should be in the truck centre console.

edit: more chills when I noticed the end destination - Albuquerque - was the same as mine, whuuuuuuuut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

When I was 16 I went to Czechoslovakia, as it was then, to teach English for a week. Total disaster but that's for another thread. My first night there, I had to sleep in the train station in Prague. I got chatting to this American guy and we bunked down beside each other. Spent a while chatting and every so often this Czech guy who was about 18 would come over to us and try to talk to us but he'd no English and we'd no Czech so it wasn't very successful. He looked pretty grim. I fell asleep and was woken in the middle of the night by the sound of crying. The Czech lad was crouched at the end of my sleeping bag, sobbing, with this massive knife in his hand that he was kinda dragging across his wrist. In my ear I hear the American guy say "dude don't move a muscle and,don't make eye contact". I fall asleep in stressful situations and did so there and then. When I woke up the next morning, the American guy was gone without a trace and there was a big bloodstain on the end of my sleeping bag. Nothing was robbed or anything but I never saw either of them again.

So yeah, that was pretty freaky and to be honest that wasn't even the freakiest thing that happened on that trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

tbh wrote: »
    When I was 16 I went to Czechoslovakia, as it was then, to teach English for a week. Total disaster but that's for another thread. My first night there, I had to sleep in the train station in Prague. I got chatting to this American guy and we bunked down beside each other. Spent a while chatting and every so often this Czech guy who was about 18 would come over to us and try to talk to us but he'd no English and we'd no Czech so it wasn't very successful. He looked pretty grim. I fell asleep and was woken in the middle of the night by the sound of crying. The Czech lad was crouched at the end of my sleeping bag, sobbing, with this massive knife in his hand that he was kinda dragging across his wrist. In my ear I hear the American guy say "dude don't move a muscle and,don't make eye contact". I fall asleep in stressful situations and did so there and then. When I woke up the next morning, the American guy was gone without a trace and there was a big bloodstain on the end of my sleeping bag. Nothing was robbed or anything but I never saw either of them again.

So yeah, that was pretty freaky and to be honest that wasn't even the freakiest thing that happened on that trip.

Are you sure you weren't on the set of Hostel:D, if that's true, I don't know how you slept, I'd have ran for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

A guy is dragging a knife over his wrist and you fell asleep . All I can say is thank god your not a firefighter or a cop at a bank robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The second story in the OP gave me the heebie jeebies.

A guy is dragging a knife over his wrist and you fell asleep . All I can say is thank god your not a firefighter or a cop at a bank robbery

It's not an ideal trait to have, I have to admit. It's not narcolepsy in that I don't pass out but it seems like when I experience stress my body gets flooded with sleep hormones. Wedding day was difficult!

For want of a better word, you have a fortitude I find immensely impressive. I was disturbed reading that and you fell back asleep?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

One time I found a hair in my sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

It's not an ideal trait to have, I have to admit. It's not narcolepsy in that I don't pass out but it seems like when I experience stress my body gets flooded with sleep hormones. Wedding day was difficult!

Ha ha I can see how this trait could be seen in a totally different light . Sorry to high jack this thread, I have to know, what about experiences like say a near car crash . Or if you were climbing a ladder . Mmmmmmmmm come to think about it , are you sure you wernt driving the car that time the lady in car park hit you , ha ha you only dreamt you weren't in it :D

• Advertisement

Ha ha I can see how this trait could be seen in a totally different light . Sorry to high jack this thread, I have to know, what about experiences like say a near car crash . Or if you were climbing a ladder . Mmmmmmmmm come to think about it , are you sure you wernt driving the car that time the lady in car park hit you , ha ha you only dreamt you weren't in it :D
    Car crash / near car crash would be over too soon for it to have any effect. But say something like someone giving me bad news (divorce/redundancy/health scare level) - would be nearly impossible to stay awake for. I've learned coping techniques, but still very hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

Ha, you got me there a bit! New twist on the jumping out ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Well.....im not sleeping tonight anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Ha, you got me there a bit! New twist on the jumping out ****e.

Glad I read this post before clicking the link...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

One time, Former teacher and recovering alcoholic Jack Torrance (me) interviews for a caretaker job at the Overlook Hotel in an effort to rebuild his life after his volatile temper lost him a teaching position. The hotel manager, Mr. Stuart Ullman, warns Jack that he and his family will be snowbound through most of the winter and of the potential for cabin fever. He drives the point home by recounting a season when the caretaker, Charles Grady, went crazy and brutally killed his wife, his two girls aged eight and ten, and finally himself. Given his own desperation and the opportunity to pursue his true passion, writing, Jack acknowledges the warning, but accepts the job.

Meanwhile, Jack's son Danny has a seizure while talking to his imaginary friend Tony about the Overlook Hotel. He has a vision of blood splashing out of an elevator in the hotel, an image which is revisited several times throughout the film.

Upon Danny's arrival at the hotel, Head chef Dick Hallorann recognizes that Danny is telepathic, and speaks to him mentally to offer him an ice cream. He explains that he and his grandmother both had the gift; because pictures sent telepathically seemed to glow, she referred to this communication as "shining." He also counsels Danny about the hotel, hinting that something terrible had happened there and left a trace, "as if someone burned toast," that only people who had the gift could perceive. Danny questions Dick about what went on in the hotel, and about room 237 in particular as Danny can sense that Dick is especially afraid of that room. Dick does not answer, but sternly warns Danny to stay out of that room.

Jack's mental health deteriorates rapidly once the family is alone in the hotel. He has writer's block, sleeps too little, and is irritable. Danny has visions of the two murdered girls, but tells no one. He continues to wonder about room 237.

One day, a ball rolls toward Danny as he plays with his toys. It appears to have come from the open door of room 237, which Danny enters. At that moment, Wendy comes running from the basement at the sound of Jack's screams. She comforts him as he tells her that he had a nightmare in which he used an axe to chop Danny and her to pieces. Before she can react, Danny appears at the other end of the room, looking disoriented and sucking his thumb. His sweater is ripped and there are bruises on his neck. He does not answer when she asks what happened. She angrily accuses Jack and takes the child back to their suite.

Jack is furious about the accusation. He storms around the hotel, making his way to the Gold Ballroom. Sinking defeatedly on to the barstool, his head in his hands, Jack declares that he would sell his soul for one drink. When he looks up he discovers a bartender, who serves him a drink. Jack is nonplussed by the sudden appearance of the bartender and even addresses him by his name, Lloyd. The ensuing conversation reveals that Jack had accidentally injured Danny years ago, probably while being drunk. A frantic Wendy enters; Danny claims to have encountered "a crazy woman" in the hotel with them in room 237. Jack goes to investigate.

Jack's exploration of room 237 is a tipping point for three characters: Danny, Jack, and Dick. While Jack is inside the room, Danny appears to be having a seizure in his own room while Dick, on vacation in Florida, seems to pick up on a signal Danny is sending.

Jack cautiously enters room 237 and hears noises from the bathroom. He watches lustfully as a young beautiful naked woman pulls back the shower curtain and steps slowly out of the bathtub. The two approach each other and embrace in a passionate kiss. Jack catches a glimpse of their reflection in the mirror and sees the woman is actually a rotting corpse. He recoils in horror, seeing that the young lady has transformed into an elderly woman; a walking corpse with rotten, sagging skin. She cackles madly while reaching for him with her stretched arms. In a frightened panic, Jack staggers out of the room, locking the door after him.

When he reports back to Wendy, Jack denies anything amiss in room 237. Wendy suggests they take Danny to a doctor. Jack becomes irate, lecturing Wendy on her thoughtlessness and blaming her for everything that's gone wrong in his life. Insisting that they can't leave the hotel because of his obligation to his employers, he storms out, returning to the Gold Room, which is now the scene of an extravagant party with guests dressed in 1920's fashion. Lloyd serves him a drink and Jack goes to mingle. He doesn't get far when a butler carrying a tray runs into him, spilling advocaat on his jacket. The butler convinces Jack to come into the bathroom to clean up.

The butler introduces himself as Delbert Grady. Jack remembers the story Mr. Ullman told him about a man named Grady and confronts Grady with the information. Grady assures Jack that nothing of the sort took place and that, furthermore, Jack had always been the caretaker, not Grady. Jack is confused, but seems to accept Grady's story. Grady goes on to tell Jack that Danny has "a great talent" and is using it to bring an "outside party" into the situation. Grady advises Jack on how to correct Danny, and how to correct Wendy if she interferes.

Meanwhile, back in Florida, Dick has had no luck contacting the people at the Overlook Hotel. He books the next flight to Colorado.

At the Overlook, Wendy arms herself with a baseball bat and goes searching for Jack, intent on leaving the hotel with Danny and with or without Jack. During her search, she spots his manuscript next to the typewriter. She reads what Jack has been writing: hundreds of pages of repetitions of a single sentence, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". She realizes Jack has gone mad.

Jack approaches from behind and asks, "How do you like it?" Wendy shrieks with alarm and turns. A confrontation ensues as Jack demands to know her intentions regarding leaving the hotel with Danny, while Wendy just tries to get away. Wendy pleads with Jack not to hurt her, and he swears that he will not; instead, he intends to kill her. Wendy hits Jack in the head with the bat at the top of a flight of stairs, knocking him unconscious. Jack tumbles down the staircase, injuring his ankle in the process.

Wendy drags Jack's limp body to the pantry and locks him inside, just as he regains consciousness. Jack tells her he has sabotaged the radio, as well as the snowcat, stranding them all there with him. She goes outside to check on the snowcat, and confirms what he told her.

A few hours later, Jack is roused from a nap by the sound of Delbert Grady's voice. Grady expresses disappointment and a lack of confidence in Jack, but Jack assures him he can get the job done if given one more chance. The pantry door then suddenly becomes unlocked.

Wendy has fallen asleep in her room. Danny is in a trance, carrying a knife and muttering "redrum" repeatedly. He takes Wendy's lipstick and writes "REDRUM" on the bathroom door. He begins shouting "REDRUM," which wakes Wendy. She clutches him to her, then sees the reflection of the bathroom door in the mirror. Reversed, it reads: "MURDER." At that instant, banging sounds start coming from the door.

The sound is Jack swinging an axe at the locked door. Wendy grabs Danny and locks them in the bathroom. She opens a tiny, snowbanked window and pushes Danny out; he slides safely to the ground. She tries to get out the same window, but cannot fit. She tells Danny to run and hide.

Meanwhile, Jack has chopped his way through the front door and saying "Wendy, I'm home! Danny... Daddy's home!" Jack then knocks politely on the bathroom door. Wendy holds the knife and tries to steady herself as Jack begins chopping down the bathroom door. After chopping away one of the panels, he sticks his head through and screams,"Heeeere's JOHNNY!" Jack sticks his hand through the gap to turn the lock. Wendy slashes at him with a knife, landing a blow to the hand and sending Jack recoiling in pain. Jack continues to chop away at the door until they both hear the low rumble of an approaching snowcat engine. He stalks out.

The snowcat driver is Dick. Inside the hotel, he calls out, but gets no reply. Jack, hiding behind a pillar, leaps out at him and swings the axe into his chest, killing him. Danny, hiding in a kitchen cabinet, cries out, revealing his location. He clambers out of the steel cabinet and runs outside with Jack in pursuit.

Meanwhile, Wendy has collected herself and is on the lookout for Danny, she has several ghostly encounters with the ghosts of the hotel as they finally begin to materalize before her during the search but refuses to let them deter her. At the same time, axe-wielding Jack follows Danny into the hedge maze.

Danny realizes he is leaving a trail of footprints for Jack to follow. He carefully retraces his steps, then hides behind a hedge. When Jack arrives, he sees that the footprints have disappeared, but does not realize Danny is hiding. He chooses a path and resumes chasing Danny. Danny comes out of his hiding spot and follows his own footprints back to the maze's entrance.

Wendy makes her way out of the hotel just as Danny emerges from the maze. Relieved, she flings down the knife and embraces him. Jack lets out a blood-curdling shriek from the maze. Danny and Wendy waste no time escaping in the snowcat. Jack, hopelessly lost in the maze, freezes to death.

Right before the end credits, the audience sees a photograph of a lavish ball which is hanging in the hotel. In the center of the picture is a young Jack. The caption reads, "Overlook Hotel, July 4th Ball, 1921".

Needless to say we all have a good laugh about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It's great having slow broadband, I read it all and closed the window before anything happened.

J. Marston wrote: »
    The second story in the OP gave me the heebie jeebies.

The first one was bad enough but the second one is going to stop me sleeping.
    Scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

One time, Former teacher and recovering alcoholic Jack Torrance (me) interviews for a ith Danny, while Wendy just tries......

No thanks for you.. Ever try summarising?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A lovely cheerful festive thread just in time for Christmas!

Advertisement