Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tommy Cooper was NOT funny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Go on then OP. Enlighten us; what do you find funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

blueser wrote: »
    Go on then OP. Enlighten us; what do you find funny?

Seinfeld stands head and shoulders above any other comedy show ever made! Needless to say, I also like Curb Your Enthusiasm.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Seinfeld stands head and shoulders above any other comedy show ever made! Needless to say, I also like Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    There you go, see. I find him as funny as a fire in an orphanage. Does that make him not funny? Only to me. Different strokes for different folks.
    To me, Cooper was brilliant. His timing and delivery were bang on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I find him as funny as a fire in an orphanage.

I like that. That was funny. Unlike Seinfeld.

But to repeat what everyone else was saying, it's subjective. Tommy was actually a genuis wrapped in stupidity, and that was part of his charm. You either laughed at the stupidity, or the genius, or both. But not for everyone.

I've a fairly dark humour anyway, I find gallows humour to be one of the funniest (and a great coping mechanism imo). And I like comedians who push boundaries, especially now. It's not that I always laugh at the joke, but more at the reaction. I love seeing people react to stuff that would be offensive to a lot of people these days. "Clean" comedy can be good, but usually dry, and is limited.

There you go, see. I find him as funny as a fire in an orphanage. Does that make him not funny? Only to me. Different strokes for different folks.
    To me, Cooper was brilliant. His timing and delivery were bang on the money.

Well, it seems, based on the replies here that you are absolutely right. I thought Cooper might have been perceived my many/most as objectively unfunny to a modern audience but it seems his brand of humour ("humour" to me) is still appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The special effects in Fritz Lang's Metropolis are not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I had honestly forgotten about Tommy Cooper until this thread. Whether he was considered funny or not is less important to me than whether he was memorable. There are bits by Morecambe & Wise, The Two Ronnies or Billy Connolly that are burned in to my brain, but nothing by Cooper, apparently.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d rather scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon than be forced to watch Seinfeld. A DULL as dishwater comedian, desperate not to offend people. The type of fella who probably wakes up every morning having slept in his pullover and thinks... “hmm how can I make office workers amused today.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well, it seems, based on the replies here that you are absolutely right. I thought Cooper might have been perceived my many/most as objectively unfunny to a modern audience but it seems his brand of humour ("humour" to me) is still appreciated.

Not a fan of stand up comedy in most cases, find most loud, obnoxious, and just...well, not funny. There are a few I like though, and I find I enjoy people who have a way with delivery and timing.

Tommy Cooper was one of those simple timing and delivery guys that made banal jokes really entertaining. Not one to have me laughing out loud but definitely would keep you amused. Easy watching, I suppose, and I think the nature of his work means it's aged well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It takes a very skilled magician to get tricks wrong on purpose. he was also hilariously funny at the same time.
    One of his jokes that has always been a favourite of mine:

I rang up the yoga studio and told them i was thinking of taking some classes. They said "are you flexible?". I said " i cant do tuesdays or thursdays"

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d rather scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon than be forced to watch Seinfeld. A DULL as dishwater comedian, desperate not to offend people. The type of fella who probably wakes up every morning having slept in his pullover and thinks... “hmm how can I make office workers amused today.”

A noble calling, surely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭GoatBoy74

I've put up with this myth for a loooong time but now I have to speak out. It started (for me) in my early teens when there was a Tommy Cooper show on prime-time TV and, with only a couple of channels, I watched a few episodes. It was absolutely AWFUL! A bumbling buffoon, wearing a funny hat, getting card tricks (hilariously!) wrong and cracking a few terrible jokes. I knew he was popular at the time but it didn't bother me because most TV was terrible and I thought he appealed to an adult audience rather than me.

Fast forward 40 years and I am an adult now myself! I have seen Cooper every so often over the years and my opinion has never wavered: totally unfunny rubbish. Yet now, every few weeks it seems, there are TC retrospectives (and a movie!) with contemporaries and modern comedians falling over themselves to say what a genius he was and how hilarious his bumbling character was.

My question is: Am I wrong? Was he a genius? Or is there a giant conspiracy to fool the modern audience into thinking his act was hilarious? Surely, anyone watching him for 5 minutes could see that he was a total charlatan??

Are you wrong? Yes, yes you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭GoatBoy74

I've put up with this myth for a loooong time but now I have to speak out. It started (for me) in my early teens when there was a Tommy Cooper show on prime-time TV and, with only a couple of channels, I watched a few episodes. It was absolutely AWFUL! A bumbling buffoon, wearing a funny hat, getting card tricks (hilariously!) wrong and cracking a few terrible jokes. I knew he was popular at the time but it didn't bother me because most TV was terrible and I thought he appealed to an adult audience rather than me.

Fast forward 40 years and I am an adult now myself! I have seen Cooper every so often over the years and my opinion has never wavered: totally unfunny rubbish. Yet now, every few weeks it seems, there are TC retrospectives (and a movie!) with contemporaries and modern comedians falling over themselves to say what a genius he was and how hilarious his bumbling character was.

My question is: Am I wrong? Was he a genius? Or is there a giant conspiracy to fool the modern audience into thinking his act was hilarious? Surely, anyone watching him for 5 minutes could see that he was a total charlatan??

Yes, yes you are wrong.

Homelander wrote: »
    Not a fan of stand up comedy in most cases, find most loud, obnoxious, and just...well, not funny. There are a few I like though, and I find I enjoy people who have a way with delivery and timing.

Tommy Cooper was one of those simple timing and delivery guys that made banal jokes really entertaining. Not one to have me laughing out loud but definitely would keep you amused. Easy watching, I suppose, and I think the nature of his work means it's aged well enough.
    You've pretty much nailed it there. Cooper's jokes were not the funniest out there, not by a long way. You and I probably know better jokes than him, but could we deliver them like he did? I can't speak for you, but I know I couldn't. Cooper is miles ahead of likes of Tiernan, O'Carroll, Bishop, McIntyre etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd take bob Newhart, don rickles(although not all his material), foster brooks, Rodney dangerfield and others and the reason is if you watch them not one curse word used. I'm not a fan of comedians effing and blinding because any eijit can yell and throw a few ****s around and get laughs but it's not comedy.

That's my opinion anyway and no doubt people will disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Rodney Dangerfield was one hilarious dude,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A noble calling, surely!

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I have often pondered how i can love Curb so much yet find Seinfeld so unfunny.

Cooper had a genius act at the time especially with the way he could work his props and keep the audience in suspense for a duration of a show at what he was going to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I remember him the twat in the hat. Or was that jamiroquai

That was Jamiroquai.

When you are feeling down just look up "photographer headbutts Jamiroquai".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I watched a few of his videos while having the breakfast this morning. He was very good. Great mixture of jokes, magic, and slapstick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Strumms wrote: »

Strumms is getting upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

byronbay2 wrote:

byronbay2 wrote:

byronbay2 wrote:

You have figured it out - 'Juz like dat!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I think there's a minimum IQ level, below which people think Tommy Cooper isn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Ok didn't really know who he was.

But why would you expect a comedian from 60 yrs ago to be funny now?

No comedy ages well.

Read some jokes from the 1800s.

Nothing funny today will be funny in 20 yrs time.

Why are some people obsessed with people or shows from a time that was probably decades before they were born?

No comedy ages well.

Why are some people obsessed with people or shows from a time that was probably decades before they were born?

It seems a lot of people disagree with you. Based on this thread, Tommy Cooper's material is still funny and you would need to have below average intelligence to disagree!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It seems a lot of people disagree with you. Based on this thread, Tommy Cooper's material is still funny and you would need to have below average intelligence to disagree!

I could tell his punchlines miles before he said them.

In fact it was annoying having to wait for him to hmm and haw through them.

Plus everything he says is so simplistic.

The language he uses etc....

If you are looking for old comedy that was done well..Only Fools and Horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No comedy ages well.

get away with your 60 years ago. he was massive when i was young and i'm nowhere near 60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

I loved Tommy Cooper's karate master routine. Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Any thread about about comedians here will lead to posters saying how unfunny they are.
    Any comedian that appears on the Late Late Show will see lots of post on the TV forum to say how unfunny that particular comedian is.

In both cases it doesn't matter how famous or successful the person may have been.
    So all the posters can't be right.

If you don't like Tommy Cooper then just accept it's not for you and get over it and don't let it impact your life. Then also accept that your taste is not what rules the world and let other people enjoy it.

It's sort of like music, all very subjective. I can't stand Westlife, think they're a crime against music but last year they packed out Croke Park and plenty of people I know went and enjoyed them. Didn't upset me in the slightest and I basically just ignored the event.
    Live and let live.

For the record though I thought Tommy Cooper was hilarious and his wit was clever and more than just the fez and magic tricks. Here's some lines below
    “I'm on a whisky diet. Last week, I lost three days.”

“I went to a fortune teller. She looked at my hands and said: 'Your future looks pretty black.' I said: 'I've still got my gloves on.’”

“Gambling has really brought our family together. We had to move to a smaller house.”

"She was so beautiful, when I took her home in a taxi, I could hardly keep my eyes on the meter.”

“What do you call an out-of-work jester? Nobody's fool.”

“I bought some pork chops and told the butcher to make them lean. He said: 'Which way?’"

“My doctor told me to drink a bottle of wine after a hot bath. But I couldn't even finish drinking the hot bath.”

“I always call a spade a spade. Until the other night, when I stepped on one in the dark.”

“Two fish in a tank. One says to the other: ‘You drive, I'll man the guns.”

“I said: 'Doctor, I keep getting these dizzy spells.' He said: 'Vertigo?' I said: 'No, I only live up the road.’”

“I sleep like a baby. I wake up screaming every morning around 3am.”

“I had a ploughman's lunch the other day. He wasn't very happy.”

“Last night, I dreamt I was eating a 10lb marshmallow. When I woke up, my pillow had gone.”

“I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn’t find any.”

“What does a kangaroo eat for breakfast? Pouched eggs.”

“Got a new car the other day. I pushed the horn and it went: ‘Woof woof.’ It was a Rover.”

“Two cannibals were eating a clown. One said to the other: 'Does he taste funny to you?’"

• Advertisement

No comedy ages well.

60 years ago??

I was born in 1986, he was as regular a feature of my childhood as Mr. Bean or Billy Connolly. It's true that he was dead by then, but his comedy always seemed to be on the telly. How old are you?

Advertisement