Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What words should be banned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Archeron

Gooseberries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Kunt spelled with a C.

I wish I could erase it from my vocabulary, it really is a horrible word.

Only a cúnt would want it banned...it's a great word...conveys so much depth and feeling in a sentence..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Only a cúnt would want it banned...it's a great word...conveys so much depth and feeling in a sentence..

Well you're just a c unt;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

No words should be banned, imo. Limiting peoples vocabularies is just another form of control. Try expanding the scope of your own mental capacity, instead of trying to limit and control others. People who get offended by particular words should take a hard look at their own lack of tolerances of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Simples😡. Sheeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

So

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Bespoke
    Bliss
    Blessed
    Artisan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Kunt spelled with a C.

I wish I could erase it from my vocabulary, it really is a horrible word.
    It perfectly describes some people. Rather than ban it you should be given a finite number of them to use when , and only when, it's warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Antidisestablishmentarianism

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

I don't care for the whole idea of wokeness but wtf was up with this word in the Irish media? Seemed to be all the rage around 2008-2010. WTF is a non-national?

A foreigner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

It's a useful word in certain situations. Like when someone's being a cunt.

For fuck sake. Stop bypassing the shitting swear filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Bespoke
    Bliss
    Blessed
    Artisan

Definitely Artisan !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Craig.

Such a horrible sounding name.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

It's a useful word in certain situations. Like when someone's being a cunt.

Like "you kunts who think who know it all are annoying us who do"

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Hater : nonsense word that gets used and abused ,when one criticises or argues a view that may be unpopular , especially of that view is an informed one .

Salty : do I really need to explain that one ?

There’s a plethora of words that should be not used in sports, especially American sports commentary eg “greatest of all time” , “best ever” ,”my top 10” .... often referring to sports people that have done little to merit the accolades /or such achievements aren’t seriously assessed or the quality of their opponents . UFC and especially Joe Rogan is a hoor for it . Likewise NBA coverage ,it’s hard to listen to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

cj maxx wrote: »
    It perfectly describes some people. Rather than ban it you should be given a finite number of them to use when , and only when, it's warranted.

I agree, sometimes it's the only word that will do. The last time I called someone a cúnt was when a young woman who was busy texting while driving around a busy roundabout came close to ploughing me down at at a pedestrian crossing, she was incensed that I used the word.

Are we all agreed on 'Banter' so?..

Can we mobilise the Twitter mob to move forward with it?..

We could say it's cultural appropriation..

• Advertisement

I don't care for the whole idea of wokeness but wtf was up with this word in the Irish media? Seemed to be all the rage around 2008-2010. WTF is a non-national?

It’s clearly used in the context of domestic matters. A non national in Ireland clearly means a person who is not a national of Ireland. Likewise ,if the word was used in say Spain, it would then mean a person who is not a Spanish National

It’s a lazy and somewhat inaccurate way to say foreigner ,I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

CLUSTER

It's being used a lot of late in a COVID-19 context but everytime I hear it I think of haemorrhoids or anal warts

Hater : nonsense word that gets used and abused ,when one criticises or argues a view that may be unpopular , especially of that view is an informed one .

Jonybgud wrote: »
    No words should be banned, imo. Limiting peoples vocabularies is just another form of control. Try expanding the scope of your own mental capacity, instead of trying to limit and control others. People who get offended by particular words should take a hard look at their own lack of tolerances of others.

The meaning of words gets abuse though. People use words in a statement or a rant and it’s clear that they haven’t a Scoobey doo as to what they mean . So ignorance shouldn’t be tolerated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Boomer

I hope it's a niggardly offering you furnish OP.

Banning words :confused: :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Succulent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

cheeky

Ain't nothing cheeky about your pint or takeaway or whatever you are doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

mikemac2 wrote: »
    cheeky

Ain't nothing cheeky about your pint or takeaway or whatever you are doing

Shurrup ya cheeky cant

• Advertisement