Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Artificial fucκing sweeteners in everything everything tastes like shıt now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I put aspartame up there with MSG in the 'people think it's bad for you but it's been proven it's not when taken in normal amounts' category. It's like saying coffee is bad for you if you drink 10 cups a day. Well duh. MSG and aspartame are bad for you if you abuse them, otherwise they're perfectly fine in normal amounts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

It should be compulsory for food and drinks companies to clearly indicate the presence artificial sweeteners on the front of the label

The ingredients are often unclear and obscure and I find myself googling obscure ingredients on the label only to find it's an artificial sweeteners.

Has Jones's Soda survived in Ireland?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

100% agree. I can't stand aspartame - a horrible shallow taste with a bitter aftertaste.

When aspartame was under development in the 1970s, there was mounting evidence that suggested that it was a carcinogen but this was surpressed in order for the US FDA to approve it as "Nutra-sweet". Stevia is just meh.

It's pretty ridiculous that you can't even get a normal Sprite in McDonalds or elsewhere now. I actively avoid drinks with artificial sweetener.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Amazing how aspartame ever got on the market. Political jiggery pokery from Reagen and Rumsfeld (Rummy got a $12 million bonus for successfully lobbying it, huge amount back then) and the FDA.

Junk-science tests by Searle and Monsanto, an independent test found that it caused brain tumours and cancers in rats.
    It has only been on the market since the 80s so in reality we are the real guinea pigs here.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nzpbkx/the-story-of-how-fake-sugar-got-approved-is-scary-as-hell

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-rumsfeld-and-the-s_b_805581?guccounter=1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was wondering why 7up seems to taste so weird now but this is definitely it. It's not something i've noticed really in any other drinks, but definitely 7up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i used to like chocolate , it doesn't taste great anymore.
    my kids will never know chocolate and lucozade.

it's quite sad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

paw patrol wrote: »
    i used to like chocolate , it doesn't taste great anymore.
    my kids will never know chocolate and lucozade.

it's quite sad
    Will their taste buds get to like this stuff now ?

Surely the optimum mindset when it comes to fizzy drinks is to only drink them occasionally (one or two cans worth a week maybe?) but when you do drink them they are the full sugar ones which actually taste satisfying? The rest of the time just drink water as we are supposed to. The odd cup of tea or glass of sparkling water is fine too. Full sugar fizzy drinks did exist too in the seventies and eighties but people didn't drink litres of them per day. They were mostly a treat at Christmas etc. Even in the nineties growing up we only got fizzy drinks for birthday parties or a glass of Country Spring on a Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Amazing how aspartame ever got on the market. Political jiggery pokery from Reagen and Rumsfeld (Rummy got a $12 million bonus for successfully lobbying it, huge amount back then) and the FDA.

Junk-science tests by Searle and Monsanto, an independent test found that it caused brain tumours and cancers in rats.
    It has only been on the market since the 80s so in reality we are the real guinea pigs here.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nzpbkx/the-story-of-how-fake-sugar-got-approved-is-scary-as-hell

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-rumsfeld-and-the-s_b_805581?guccounter=1

Pretty sure those research efforts have been debunked repeatedly in the debate.

There's no massive Lizard-people conspiracy over Aspartame.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    Pretty sure those research efforts have been debunked repeatedly in the debate.

Okay, you drink away at your Pepsi Max, Lizard Boy.
    I'll listen to the experts rather than some randomer on Boards, if you don't mind.

Okay, you drink away at your Pepsi Max, Lizard Boy.
    I'll listen to the experts rather than some randomer on Boards, if you don't mind.

"The experts" being a handful of people going against the scientific grain from incontestable studies.

I suppose you also think that masks stop you breathing and Covid-19 is a Government conspiracy.

[QUOTE=Homelander;114641360 Covid-19 is a Government conspiracy.[/QUOTE]

You have way to much time on your hands.
    Seek help, Lizard Boy.

The classic response from idiots who are incapable of admitting they're wrong.

"You have too much time on your hands".

In response to a post I made, that's literally half the length of your quoted post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

blinding wrote: »
    Will their taste buds get to like this stuff now ?

that is an interesting question, i've no idea tbh and never considered that.

they do like chocolate cake made in the bakery so maybe they will

The classic response from idiots who are incapable of admitting they're wrong.

"You have too much time on your hands".

In response to a post I made, that's literally half the length of your quoted post.

a43c-31a9-4806-a927-e7ea6350d05b

I bought a tub of yoghurt in Tesco.

I wasn't diligent enough to check the label...... Sweeteners . It's going straight into the bin.

Why do yoghurts have to be sweetened anyway, with sugar or sweeteners? It's so hard to find a proper natural dairy yoghurt that's full fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

I don't drink a lot of soft drinks but I would always get a coke with a big mac meal or that type of thing. And I would occasionally have a can of coke, either coke zero or real coke.

In the last couple of months it tastes absolutely horrible to me. Not just the way diet coke always tasted crap, but it actually tastes like there is something wrong with it. And it's not just Coca Cola. I tried a few of the knock off brands from Lidl/Aldi and they taste the same to me too. A really horrible and unpleasant chemical like taste.

Do taste buds change suddenly to the extent that I would start disliking something I used to enjoy that much? Or has the sugar tax meant that all soft drinks are now being produced in a different manner? If it has then it is working because I will never be buying another can of that stuff again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I’ve only had 4 soft drinks in the last 6 months. Can hardly remember what they tasted like before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It's the sweeteners that make the drink taste bike. All the drinks have sweeteners now except original coca-cola.

Edit: I love the new drink Enerzaid, can be bought on their website. They gave the two fingers to lucozade and created a glucose drink with sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I like diet coke better than real coke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

You must have the coronavirus if you suddenly don’t like the taste of coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I grew out of drinking soft drinks by my late 20's.

It's all hard drinks for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

See where it is made.

The difference in the taste of cokes is amazing. If made in Northern Ireland it tastes woeful. It could be to do with the water they use.

Different countries have different tasting coke.

When I say coke I only drink Diet Coke / Coke Zero / Pepsi Max.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Threads merged.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What the hell has happened Cadburys?
    A tasty treat for decades ruined overnight by a US takeover and the addition of palm oil.
    Coca butter costs money. Money that could be going to shareholders. Nestle use worse chocolate too.

Nestle took over Rowntree Mackintosh and replaced coca with sugar

After Eights, Aero, Quality Street, Rolo, Kit Kat, Smarties, Yorkie became insipid muck.

Irish Cadbury's tasted nicer in the old days because they used Irish milk.

The UK made stuff was meh even back then. Nowadays it's worse.
    FFS those clowns tried replacing 6 dairy milk creme eggs with 5 ovals with generic chocolate and hoped no one would notice ! That folks is how to trash a brand and alienate lifelong customers.

Cadbury's and Rowntree Mackintosh were brands worth paying a premium for against the really nasty alternatives of old. No more. They aren't worth paying extra over compared to the better offerings from the German supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

EBE - if you haven't tried it, look for Onken Natural Set yoghurt - the full fat one is the dark blue tub.

Agree with everyone about the artificial sweeteners. Even mouthwash contains it now - and I haven't been able to find Original (gold) Listerene anywhere!

The magic number seems to be 12/13g sugar per 100ml if you want the kind of soft drink we had growing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I bought a tub of yoghurt in Tesco.

I wasn't diligent enough to check the label...... Sweeteners . It's going straight into the bin.

Why do yoghurts have to be sweetened anyway, with sugar or sweeteners? It's so hard to find a proper natural dairy yoghurt that's full fat.

The full fat yoghurts are better for you than the low fat bull**** ones because:
    1) Certain fats are very good for you
    2) Low fat yoghurts are laced with all manner of sugar and sweeteners to make them taste somewhat palatable as they have been stripped of their goodness

I agree it's very hard to find a proper full fat natural yoghurt. I normally buy Fage full fat Greek yoghurt.

Twice in the past two weeks I have bought 1.5 litre bottles of coke which upon opening tasted flat - is there something wrong with them? First one bought in Aldi, second one in Tesco.

• Advertisement

Coca butter costs money. Money that could be going to shareholders. Nestle use worse chocolate too.

Nestle took over Rowntree Mackintosh and replaced coca with sugar

After Eights, Aero, Quality Street, Rolo, Kit Kat, Smarties, Yorkie became insipid muck.

Irish Cadbury's tasted nicer in the old days because they used Irish milk.

The UK made stuff was meh even back then. Nowadays it's worse.
    FFS those clowns tried replacing 6 dairy milk creme eggs with 5 ovals with generic chocolate and hoped no one would notice ! That folks is how to trash a brand and alienate lifelong customers.

Cadbury's and Rowntree Mackintosh were brands worth paying a premium for against the really nasty alternatives of old. No more. They aren't worth paying extra over compared to the better offerings from the German supermarkets.
    Something else that seems to affect the flavour of Cadburys is when they stopped wrapping it in foil and changed to plastic. I think it leaves a slight aftertaste in the chocolate.

Advertisement