Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any universally loved Irish people

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Right up until he sucks the life out a Dubliners gig by reciting one of his "poems".

Jesus, P, no need to tell it like it is.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just from the names on Page 1 find me a negative comment about Niall Quinn, Denis Irwin, Larry Gogan, Shane Lowry, Brendan Grace or John Creedon.

Larry Gogan was a friend of a friend. He was apparently the nicest person you could ever hope to meet in public and private.
    I met Niall Quinn a couple of times and he was an absolute gentleman. He is still a legend around Sunderland aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Simon Harris. Especially after the performance of his egg headed successor during the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just from the names on Page 1 find me a negative comment about Niall Quinn, Denis Irwin, Larry Gogan, Shane Lowry, Brendan Grace or John Creedon.

I think the thing all those lads have in common is that they probably don't see themselves as special because of who they are. Maybe that is what it comes down to Irish people don't like thier celebs to have 'notions'? I would throw Brendan Gleeson/Colm Meaney in that group. Never heard anyone give out about them.

I think that is the difference between American celebs and Irish ones. In America the celebs are expected to have notions and be fawned over.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Larry Gogan was a friend of a friend. He was apparently the nicest person you could ever hope to meet in public and private.
    I met Niall Quinn a couple of times and he was an absolute gentleman. He is still a legend around Sunderland aswell.

Slightly off topic - but is it true Gogan cultivated that voice for radio, and he was not like that originally?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Larry just had an immense aura of genuineness and friendliness about him. Seemed like he had an absolute genuine love of his job too. His musical tastes were a bit mainstream pop probably for my own taste , but he was a listenable, watchable and a very likable guy..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Simon Harris. Especially after the performance of his egg headed successor during the past few weeks.

Things got too hot for the successor today :)

Rothko wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay much attention to anything that Alan McGee has to say.

I only added Alan’s quote for the laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Larry Gogan was the most inoffensive person to ever walk the earth , thats not necessarily a compliment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,829 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I only added Alan’s quote for the laugh :)

Oh, I know that. It's just that I wouldn't take anything he says seriously. I think him and Kevin Shields had a falling out so that's why he said it.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    Oh, I know that. It's just that I wouldn't take anything he says seriously. I think him and Kevin Shields had a falling out so that's why he said it.

there's an amazing doc from the bbc on primal screams memphis tapes, and how they put their heart and soul into it and hired the best musicians in memphis and then brought it back to alan mcgee who binned it and remixed it!

(however commercially he was possibly right, but musically it was criminal)

Advertisement