Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who invented the term "wet pubs" ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

Pubs.
    Pubs with grub.

Simple.

and none of this 'gastropub' stuff. It sounds like some kind of stomach medication.

"Heartburn? Trapped wind? The Scutters? ... Try new GASTROPUB! Just one tablet twice a day and you'll be running like clockwork. - Always read the label!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

A good dose of a wet pub leads to extreme dryness.
    edit Which I'm all for, I may add.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

It is my second most hated term of the last few months. I have a top 5.
    5 Cocooning
    4 Staycation
    3 New Normal
    2 Wet pubs
    And in at number 1 the mind bendingly dreadful basement dweller loving.......................................
    Socially Distant.

You forgot to put SO if front on the name, So wet pub, so staycation,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I prefer to call them Bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Wet pub. So called because a manky pint will have wet crap running out your arse instead of your p!sser.

Gastro pub. So called well because manky food will not only shoot out your arse as well as your mouth.

Staycation. Well it serves all you Fu¢kers right for wanting to talk like yanks.

And its always been a pub in my time, a bar to my was always something made of chocolate.

Its time we started to take back our sayings. Bars, staycation, serves you all right.

Conspiracy theory, maybe covid was invented so we could change our vocabulary!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,707 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The long term ambition has been to kill off proper pubs ever since Michael mcdowell was around. Covid has helped a lot.

My local town had over a dozen pubs at one time, that was fine when stout was looked upon as a foodstuff. There's 6 now and that's more than enough.
    Ffs there were pubs in every nook and cranny and in the arse end of nowhere, obviously they all couldn't stay going and the drink driving lark had reached a point where that had to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's the logical extension of the effort, which was well underway long before covid, to transform traditional Irish pubs into more "civilised" food establishments. It is the kind of term dreamt up by people who think of a drinking only place as the deviation from the norm. And in turn it normalises the idea that places where eating is more or less expected are the ordinary thing. You get this in America a lot, where only dingy places are "bars" where's anywhere comfortable, even if it looks like a pub, they will start you off with a menu etc, and just coming in to drink is seen as strange.

The long term ambition has been to kill off proper pubs ever since Michael mcdowell was around. Covid has helped a lot.

Tldr: Wet pubs my hairy hole.

Ah right. So its a big conspiracy to kill the pub.
    Geuze wrote: »
    I heard of it in the past, an industry term in the UK.

Wet-led pubs vs food-led pubs.

Oh, so it's an established industry term and not a conspiracy to kill off the pubs.

Lads, why the need for conspiracy theories? What's in it for the government and why have successive governments agreed on trying to kill off the pub in spite of the tax revenue it brings in through direct tax on alcohol, income tax and corporation tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

"Moist" pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

NIMAN wrote: »
    NPHET methinks.

Our new rulers.

No interest in what the people want. Nobody voted them in. They spout lies to create fear. Cherrypicking the science. Keep all their salaries no matter how badly things go to hell for others. White-knuckle grip on power.

They are the centrefold poster blutacked to Trump's and Putin's bedroom walls I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

What...And Gastro pubs doesn't sound like fàrts and belching??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,757 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

sabat wrote: »
    Pubs are pubs; places that do food too are inns.

I’d say the effort needed to amend that usage of words in our language would be futile.

“I say, Dorothy darling, it might be of a mutual benefit that we might pop towards the Inn this evening to partake of some beverages and a bite to eat and the atmosphere, what say you, darling ? darling ?”

“Jimmy luv, put yar bleedin shoes back on , the only place you are bleedin goin is out for a couple of bags o cans fir us, ring the bell and I’ll let you back Inn”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,707 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

topper75 wrote: »
    No interest in what the pub lobby wants.

Fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

"Cocooning" and "staycation" also need to be excised from everyday parlance.

I was fine with that, thought it was a nice term for older people and less harsh sounding than isolating, because for some older folk in rural areas they are isolated enough as is.

"Staycation" and indeed it's daddy "Vacation" can go and **** off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Soggy pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just call them

Proper pubs and notions pubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

It's not a new term. It was definitely used during the last recession and has been used in calculating a pub value for years X times wet sales + Y times dry (food) sales = total value of pub.

The only food in a wet pub is peanuts, taytos and maybe purple snacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Probably a Government Kuntsultant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

I wasn't able to go on holiday this year. I took a naycation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

More than likely some senior civil servant.

And because said civil servant, has a lot of clout and the arse lickers wouldn't dare suggest wet pubs sounds ridiculous.
    For they might fall out of favour for going against the status quo...

Going forward...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

"Cocooning" and "staycation" also need to be excised from everyday parlance.

Agreed, Bertie.

Frustrating that they have become part of the new normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

wet hostels are places the alcoholic homeless can stay and drink

shows the regard the ones making decisions have for drinkers

wet hostels are places the alcoholic homeless can stay and drink

shows the regard the ones making decisions have for drinkers

Yeah. And since it's term used by the pub industry, I presume you're saying the pub industry sees its customers in that light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It's the logical extension of the effort, which was well underway long before covid, to transform traditional Irish pubs into more "civilised" food establishments. It is the kind of term dreamt up by people who think of a drinking only place as the deviation from the norm. And in turn it normalises the idea that places where eating is more or less expected are the ordinary thing. You get this in America a lot, where only dingy places are "bars" where's anywhere comfortable, even if it looks like a pub, they will start you off with a menu etc, and just coming in to drink is seen as strange.

Tldr: Wet pubs my hairy hole.

Yanks are weird when it comes to pubs.

Few years ago I was in town with the son who was 5 or 6 at the time. Ireland U20s were playing in the Rugby World championships so decided to go into Bull and Castle at Christchurch for two pints.

Old American gimp kept going on about kids being in pubs under his breath to his lady friend/wife. His food arrived and he said he cannot take it anymore and he stormed out with her in tow. Left the food, waiter was bewildered until I explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Wet pub is a commonly used term in the trade.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Wet pub is a commonly used term in the trade.

Em, I think you'll find its used as part of a conspiracy by successive governments for the past 20 years to DESTROY pubs or shame drinkers or whatever.

So you might know it's an industry term, but the real peope in the know (the conspiracy theorists) know it was just invented for the pandemic as part of the conspiracy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I did , apologies to all.

It was a toss between that and " watering holes" .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I can't hear the term "wet pub" without being reminded of the term "wet markets" in Wuhan that we hear so much of at the start of the pandemic.

2 new phrases gifted to common parlance by Covid.
    Hopefully not equally ominous!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sheepskin1234

Unprecented is one.

But staycation is the most annoying. An annoying American word pushed by government to tell us to go throw our hard earned money to businesses who are shafting you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

nthclare wrote: »
    More than likely some senior civil servant.

And because said civil servant, has a lot of clout and the arse lickers wouldn't dare suggest wet pubs sounds ridiculous.
    For they might fall out of favour for going against the status quo...

Going forward...

Knowing the civil service it probably took an elite unit of 12 megabrains 2 weeks of brainstorming to come up with that. Probably cost 30k in consultancy fees for an external arbitrator too just to make sure it was all ok.

I'd rather chew on glass than hear any more brain dead idiots espouse these moronic terms like they are somehow more intellectually adept than the average clown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement