Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artificial fucκing sweeteners in everything everything tastes like shıt now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

bb1234567 wrote: »
    What do you mean? Anything put in our food pases rigorous human testing, there won't be any surprises there. Safety profile of most sweeteners is very good and is for sure much healthier than consuming obscene amouns of sugar

What do you mean? Sugar also passed rigorous testing and no one would argue now that its safety profile is very good for human health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭daheff

bb1234567 wrote: »
    What do you mean? Anything put in our food pases rigorous human testing, there won't be any surprises there. Safety profile of most sweeteners is very good and is for sure much healthier than consuming obscene amouns of sugar

I mean just cos they say it's ok doesn't actually prove it. We've never consumed the amount of artificial sweeteners in these volumes in the past, so don't really know how it will affect people's health.

It could be fine...it might not.....I'm betting that there's been a loads brown bags changing hands to allow this happen.....and we find out later that actually these sweeteners are causing X/Y/Z health problems for us.

Plenty of things in the past were said to be good for us (cigarettes, Guinness etc). So God knows really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

They actually turn my stomach as well as tasting rotten.

Have got caught out buying yogurts with the fecking things in them. One spoonful and binned the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Ah I'd love a can of lilt...thanks for that.

Or cidona or lucozade NRG (in the yellow glass bottle, that stuff was like acid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

The cúnts ruined Lucozade :mad:

I don't get the whole less sugar in Lucozade.. the whole point in it it was a high glucose drink, a precursor to the energy drinks we have now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

Is Lilt still good?

Here comes the Lilt man....Lilt!

Had a can of lilt a few years ago, as a treat a d trip down memory lane.

It's horrendous. They've absolutely butchered what was once a refreshing beverage to a weird lack of flavour but astringent can of piss.

Thankfully Club remains the same but the diet versions are probably of the worst things I've ever drank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The one that really annoys be is Schweppes tonic. Even the non-light one - the normal one has artificial sweeteners. What’s the deal with that!? I don’t wanna be paying hand over fist for some English hipster tonic just to avoid bloody sweetners.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

What the hell has happened Cadburys?
    A tasty treat for decades ruined overnight by a US takeover and the addition of palm oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

What the hell has happened Cadburys?
    A tasty treat for decades ruined overnight by a US takeover and the addition of palm oil.
    Some of the cadburys bars have a not very nice aftertaste now, a more waxy sort of texture to them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭893bet

One of the reasons I no longer go to subway with their no options but sweetened drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

Worked in the states a while back and went into a supermarket to buy porridge or oats as they call it. They had every type of sweetened/flavoured oats bar normal unsweetened porridge oats. Even the bread had sweeteners in it. Obesity is directly related to this muck. It's much cheaper to produce than sugar and is highly addictive. Have learned to check labels thoroughly especially anything stating zero fat/sugar etc..

Amen OP, well said. F'uck ALL sweeteners except sugar. That said, even though high fructose corn syrup (which isn't in Irish food usually) can't be properly metabolised by the human body it is still infinitely preferable to any low/zero calorie sweeteners. You don't get a satisfying dopamine response from non-calorific sweeteners. I despise when manufacturers change recipes to add these bullsh'it non-sugar sweeteners. EVERYONE PREFERS THE OLD FORMULA AND WOULD PAY MORE TO KEEP IT, YOU SOULLESS CORPORATE SCUM. And stop trying to make Coca Cola Zero appear to be the flagship product ... oooooo your marketing department is sooooo clever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

The biggest shift in taste (for the worse) due to sweeteners was coco pops. My grandmother used to feed me these for breakfast in the 80s and the chocolate taste was nothing short of magical. I can’t begin to describe it but imagining it actually places me back in that time. Wind forward to the mid 90s and the “great new taste” as it was marketed as had ruined a childhood staple forever more. I feel sorry for today’s kids because they will never know what it was like to eat coco pops on the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The sweettooth folks out there can't win, use sugar and become obese (+200% chance covidy take down).
    Or you have those x28 cans per day of diet cola, and go the way of J'Daly:
    Golf icon John Daly (only 54), who used to drink 28 cans of Diet Coke and smoke 40 cigarettes a day, reveals he has bladder cancer and has been left hoping for 'a miracle'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-8721773/Two-time-major-winner-John-Daly-diagnosed-bladder-cancer.html

TBH you can't beat a nice simple and plain pint of 5-stage filtered, vortexed, and hexagonally re-structured water, after it's been given 432hz.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    The biggest shift in taste (for the worse) due to sweeteners was coco pops. My grandmother used to feed me these for breakfast in the 80s and the chocolate taste was nothing short of magical. I can’t begin to describe it but imagining it actually places me back in that time. Wind forward to the mid 90s and the “great new taste” as it was marketed as had ruined a childhood staple forever more. I feel sorry for today’s kids because they will never know what it was like to eat coco pops on the 80s.

You should pick up a box of sugar-and-artificial-flavour-laden American cereal sometime. The dopamine hit is amazing and reminiscent of the impact sugary cereals used to provide when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

The sweettooth folks out there can't win, use sugar and become obese (+200% chance covidy take down).

Or you have those x28 cans per day of diet cola, and go the way of J'Daly:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-8721773/Two-time-major-winner-John-Daly-diagnosed-bladder-cancer.html

He’s obese, smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish. He had bigger issues than artificial sweeteners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Love me some sweetener.

Tayto Prawn Cocktail - another product destroying itself with some artifical sweetener .. like surely they don't need to add it to crisps? Can taste it immediately.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    He’s obese, smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish. He had bigger issues than artificial sweeteners.
    The youngish (54) fella sure partied hard.

But those x28 cans of diet coke can't of been much help for his bladder. Besides, smokers usually get lung issues, and drinkers usually get liver/kidney damage.

Phissing out x28 cans of artifically sweet could well have played havoc on the aul bladder bag, the poor chap.

appledrop wrote: »
    7up is ruined forever.

Used to be a classic Irish staple now its disgusting because they have 'improved it with sweenters'

If I want a frizzy drink, I want a full fat one.

Not my problem if other people csnr limit their intake of sugar, I can.

Of all the fizzy drinks, the difference in taste of 7-up is surely among the very worst. The bitter disgusting taste of sweeteners is overpowering. The people making these drinks must surely know how horrible everyone else is going to think they are before they change the recipes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah I agree, would be a food libertarian also - if you’re obese don’t go guzzling fizzy drinks by the litre. There really is no excuse nowadays with so much information out there, nobody isn’t aware sweets and soft drinks etc are unhealthy.

Got sweet shoite all to do with health..

It's cheaper than sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

A few weeks ago I bought some lucozade for the first time in years, I took one mouth full out of the bottle and I launched the bottle across the yard in absolute disgust

Phissing out x28 cans of artifically sweet could well have played havoc on the aul bladder bag, the poor chap.

Actually x28 cans is far above the FDA health limit for diet colas.

A typical can of diet soda contains about 185 milligrams of aspartame, meaning the average person should not drink more than 18cans per day. The WHO and Europeans have a lower limit of 14 cans.

Hence there is reasonable cause to directly associate young Daly's bladder cancer with this daily intake of 28cans of diet cola. This is even before considering the other one: 'Acesulfame K' (200 times sweeter than sucrose).

Diet Coke:
    Carbonated Water, Colour (Caramel E150d), Sweeteners (Aspartame and Acesulfame K), Natural Flavourings Including Caffeine, Phosphoric Acid, Citric Acid. Contains a Source of Phenylalanine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Just Mrs. Elephant's vitamin tablets ... Sweeteners. Christ.

What harm will that tiny bit of sugar do in a tablet that weighs less than a gram? The artificial sweeteners make them unpalatable.

Why not just eliminate sugar in sugar free versions altogether instead of replacing it with sweeteners? And leave sugared tablets for those who want it.

Just Mrs. Elephant's vitamin tablets ... Sweeteners. Christ.

What harm will that tiny bit of sugar do in a tablet that weighs less than a gram? The artificial sweeteners make them unpalatable.

Why not just eliminate sugar altogether instead of replacing it with sweeteners?

Because everything would taste like crap. There's nothing wrong with sugar anyway.

Because everything would taste like crap. There's nothing wrong with sugar anyway.

?????????????
    Where did my quoted post demonise sugar????

?????????????
    Where did my quoted post demonise sugar????

You edited in an extra line afterwards to maker yourself look more hinged about it.

You edited in an extra line afterwards to maker yourself look more hinged about it.

Ok. I did. But my original post clearly said "what harm will <1 g of sugar do?".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You lost me at 'beans on a breakfast '!.

That's just disgusting.

• Advertisement

Not replying any more??

You mocked my post by selective quoting.

I edited it to make it clearer.

I explained it.

Now you've disappeared.

Hello?????

Advertisement