Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unusual "wise" sayings?

• 16-01-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

I've always put a lot of stock in common sayings/perceived wisdom. There's a reason they've lasted through the ages.

It's interesting when you hear one that's new to you.

A little while back I was talking about the price of something, dismissing something like an extra 20 quid by buying in one place versus another.

Anyway, bloke tells me "it's not a lot of money, but it's lot when you don't have it!"

Now, whether this even counts as a "saying" or not, I think it's very clever.

It's easy to say 5 euro isn't a lot of money, but try buying something for a fiver less in a shop and you'll find out sharpish how important they think it is :p

"it's a lot when you don't have it". Nice! Makes you think twice about wasting money, even small amounts.

Any others that mightnt be well known?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

When I was in the Soviet Union back in the early 1980s I heard that whistling indoors will bring you poverty. It's stuck with me ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A Russian one I heard recently, eat breakfast alone, eat lunch with a friend and give your dinner to your enemy

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's strange things done in the midnight sun...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“One in the belly, is two in the toilet”, be careful what you eat, or drink for that matter.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

A man I knew used to say

"you can't teach experience"

Ive never heard anyone else saying that but it is one of the truest sayings I've ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭jack of all

Wanton waste leads to woeful want

Yerman (A boring/ tedious person) would put hair on an egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Another old Kerry one: Anyone burning him for a fool would have wise ashes.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    When I was in the Soviet Union back in the early 1980s I heard that whistling indoors will bring you poverty. It's stuck with me ever since.

Strange ring of truth: I was working in call centre way back when (not my team's pc company) outsourcing team at low volume inbound call periods would start whistling like a choir.

Lowered the tone of the whole open plan office. Gateway are gone years as a pc manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

silverharp wrote: »
    A Russian one I heard recently, eat breakfast alone, eat lunch with a friend and give your dinner to your enemy

What is wise about that?

I don't want a well fed enemy while i go hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Woke Hogan wrote: »

Have the Russians something against whistling?

I worked (in a skivvy capacity) for one our former supermarket moguls

When it became obvious that the iron curtain was going to fall and there were huge opportunities in Russia, he went to check the lie of the land.

One night he and his wife went to the ballet. Standing in a queue on the street he began whistling. Door right beside him opened and huge head appears right beside him and said in perfect English "stop whistling"
    I asked him what did he do and he just said "I stopped whistling" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

A closed mouth catches no flies.

It's better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Nothing in this game for two in a bed - Ghandi

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

The mug is always on the left
    Pull away on the long docket

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

What is wise about that?

I don't want a well fed enemy while i go hungry!

don't overeat is the moral here

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

An apple a day saves nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

'Handle it once'... In relation to tidying/sorting. Basically, if you pick something up, put it down where it's going to stay.

My grandfather was full of wise-sounding sayings.

On people who appear extrovert but are also deep thinkers... the brighter the light, the deeper the shadow.

When he'd be trying to be generous and spoil the grandkids... I'd rather give a gift with a warm hand than a cold one.

When something you couldn't control would happen... You can't control the direction of the wind, so lets just adjust the sails.

On greediness... People who give have everything, people who keep everything have nothing.

I know a lot of Russian sayings, but almost none of them make sense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

don't overeat is the moral here

Sounds like some shít Stalin pontificated about to take the mind of the millions of rumbling stomachs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

"you cant eat a view"

when someone comments on the view form my house, which was actually a comment by my OH uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

May you live in interesting times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Graces7 wrote: »
    Old man outside a Kerry pub was fond of these things.

"F.E.A.R.' False Evidence Appearing Real. "

Is this oul fella a lad by the name of Ian Brown by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gwanoman

Think of death often...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Break the boss before you break his orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sky King wrote: »
    Is this oul fella a lad by the name of Ian Brown by any chance?

He borrowed it from Neale Donald Walsch.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Heard a good one recently for checking something thoroughly:

If there's even one grain of sand in the Vaseline, it'll still be uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Do unto others as they do unto you, but get the boot in first!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A Russian one I heard recently, eat breakfast alone, eat lunch with a friend and give your dinner tea to your enemy

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

beejee wrote: »
    I've always put a lot of stock in common sayings/perceived wisdom. There's a reason they've lasted through the ages.

It's interesting when you hear one that's new to you.

A little while back I was talking about the price of something, dismissing something like an extra 20 quid by buying in one place versus another.

Anyway, bloke tells me "it's not a lot of money, but it's lot when you don't have it!"

Now, whether this even counts as a "saying" or not, I think it's very clever.

It's easy to say 5 euro isn't a lot of money, but try buying something for a fiver less in a shop and you'll find out sharpish how important they think it is :p

"it's a lot when you don't have it". Nice! Makes you think twice about wasting money, even small amounts.

Any others that mightnt be well known?

Yer man is like an asses tool, a big fella when he’s out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

A supposed wise saying in racehorse breeding is "breed the best to the best and hope for the best".
    It means send an expensive mare to an expensive stallion.

My understanding of it is you are encouraged to buy an expensive mare, send her to an expensive stallion, wait a year for the foal.
    The winners here are the seller of the mare and the stallion owner.
    The offspring of these matings are often useless.
    You will only find out if the horse is any good three years after the mating.

Advertisement