Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

FTDNA - I uploaded my results about 5 years ago and I have over 5,000 matches with 50 or so in the last 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

Thank you, Spurious and Montgo. You've encouraged me to send a support request to FTDNA querying whether my results are in good order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Have one match on my heritage that is from Sweden, very unusual as all other foreign matches are from countries Irish people emigrated to - UK, US, Aus, NZ.

Any one want to hazard a guess as to how this happened? Was thinking a relation that hooked up with a Swedish person in the states and moved back there

I assume any matches from here would be too far back?

From wiki "At the beginning of the seventeenth century about 6,000 men were shipped out of Ulster for the security of the plantation and sent to Sweden"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_military_diaspora

Have one match on my heritage that is from Sweden, very unusual as all other foreign matches are from countries Irish people emigrated to - UK, US, Aus, NZ.

Any one want to hazard a guess as to how this happened? Was thinking a relation that hooked up with a Swedish person in the states and moved back there

I assume any matches from here would be too far back?

From wiki "At the beginning of the seventeenth century about 6,000 men were shipped out of Ulster for the security of the plantation and sent to Sweden"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_military_diaspora

You should get a clue from the centimorgans or percentage of DNA you share?

I mean, if its in the range of second cousin then you can rule out the more historic possibilities.

If it is down in the weeds of 8 cM, then you're talking many more generations back. It could also be a false positive (the lower the cM, the more likely to share by chance).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If it is down in the weeds of 8 cM

Immediately adopts phrase. :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I uploaded my Ancestry results to FamilyTreeDNA (FTDNA) a few years ago. This thread reminded me to go back and take a look.

I have under two hundred DNA matches there. That seems really low. I know that Ancestry is the biggest company, but I even have several thousand on MyHeritage.

Would be interested if anyone else here could give their total there?

I'm actually wondering if I uploaded too long ago, and need to do it again.

Done my test with Ancestry about 3/4 years ago I think.
    Have 455 4th cousin or closer matches on Ancestry
    18977 distant matches which is down to 7cm I think.
    Big variance in DNA amounts shared with known 3rd/4th cousins even from same general family side.

Have 452 matches in total on FTDNA from 290 cM down to 13cM.Very few with any detail in trees and nothing new re. DNA relatives I could make any even possible connection to my tree.Very sparse info and very few replies to emails.Not subscribed so perhaps its better when you have access to all the tools or do a test with them.

Have 8492 on My Heritage with about 300/400 25cM or more which is a bit optimistic going by Ancestry result and looking at a few known relatives on it.Not subscribed either.

Have 3307matches on Gedmatch with approx. 20cM plus shared . Again trees are hit and miss.Awful lot of very distant matches.

My living DNA have 370 matches from 107 cM down to 9cM.Again just uploaded Ancestry test and not subscribed.No trees etc and message system a bit odd.

Find that some names appear over and over esp. those annoyingly elusive ones that seem to have no connection going by attached trees.

Find the shared match facility very useful on every site which at least allows you to narrow a match down to one or two different sides although in one parents case that can be a waste of time with the amount of inter generational marriage and being related to people 2/3/4 different ways.

Done my test with Ancestry about 3/4 years ago I think.
    Have 455 4th cousin or closer matches on Ancestry
    18977 distant matches which is down to 7cm I think.
    Big variance in DNA amounts shared with known 3rd/4th cousins even from same general family side.

Have 452 matches in total on FTDNA from 290 cM down to 13cM.Very few with any detail in trees and nothing new re. DNA relatives I could make any even possible connection to my tree.Very sparse info and very few replies to emails.Not subscribed so perhaps its better when you have access to all the tools or do a test with them.

Have 8492 on My Heritage with about 300/400 25cM or more which is a bit optimistic going by Ancestry result and looking at a few known relatives on it.Not subscribed either.

Have 3307matches on Gedmatch with approx. 20cM plus shared . Again trees are hit and miss.Awful lot of very distant matches.

My living DNA have 370 matches from 107 cM down to 9cM.Again just uploaded Ancestry test and not subscribed.No trees etc and message system a bit odd.

Find that some names appear over and over esp. those annoyingly elusive ones that seem to have no connection going by attached trees.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Your low-ish number for FamilyTreeDNA makes me think my paltry number is probably not a glitch in their system!

By the way - Ancestry matches go down to 8 cM now - they raised the threshold in August.

And LivingDNA have a "coming soon" message about having family trees on the site. Arriving in 2021, apparently. They have some relationship with the FindMyPast website, so it may be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

My mum's upload has 638 matches while my great aunt's upload has 3939 matches. My mum has no 5th cousin to remote matches while my great aunt does have 5th cousin to remote cousin matches. FTDNA gave me two possibilities for the large difference when I contacted them.
    Depending on the version of the AncestryDNA file that was transferred for each person's results, the transfer results may or may not show more speculative Matches (5th to remote cousins). For example, I believe Ancestry's V2 version of their data results, when transferred to us, will not show any of these much more distant matches, as it is somewhat less compatible with our system so we leave those out. So, if someone transfers their V2 data to us, they will likely get much fewer matches than if they transfer a different version.

The second reason which applied to me:
    These 2 kits, they were transferred about a year apart (March 22, 2018 and May 22, 2019). Within that time period, we at FamilyTreeDNA changed the way we interpret transferred data from AncestryDNA (even if they're both V2) once we upgraded to the new chip.

We started a process called imputation, which allows us to now give more speculative Matches (beyond 5th cousins) we weren't able to previously do. This explains the match differences between the 2 kits.

More info on imputation is explained here: https://dna-explained.com/2017/09/05/concepts-imputation/

I could delete my mum's results and re-upload them but I didn't bother because the extra matches likely wouldn't be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Do FTDNA or Ancestry tend to have deals around Black Friday? Looking at one of the Y-DNA tests and some kits for family members.

Yes. Keep an eye on Roberta Estes' blog for a good round-up. She's usually first with the deals.

If you've used FTDNA before, they will generally email their previous customers the offers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Thanks, will keep an eye out.

I've used FTDNA but only to upload my Ancestry file. They have my email anyway so I'll guess they'll send on any offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

I see Ancestry.com is selling their DNA test for $59 and Ancestry.co.uk for £59. I seem to remember there being some sort of restriction whereby they made you buy from .co.uk instead, is that right? Or could I get the cheaper .com one?

Try it and see.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I don't need one myself, just wanted to recommend to someone else if it was possible to buy from the US site for that price. I'll suggest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

@mindhorn - Ancestry don't do Y-DNA tests, you will have to go with another.

@P15574 - Unless things have changed you cannot buy from the US and ship to Ireland. I tried in the past as I have a US bank account but an Irish address and when I got to postal address completion it would not allow me continue due to absence of a valid ZIP and State.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hi guys - silly question but I am ordering a Y-DNA testing kit from FTDNA as a Christmas Present for my father.
    It will be delivered to our home - so I am just wondering if anyone who has ordered a kit from FTDNA remembers how it was delivered - did it have the company name on the box when delivered or was it wrapped up further?
    I don't want to ruin the surprise if he is at home when it is delivered and sees the company

I think it was a plain box with the main box inside, but it's a while since I ordered.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Interesting detective DNA story

Never realised until tonight that when Ancestry removed DNA matches under 8cM those few with less than that I had placed into speculative family groups seem to still be there.

Went to message one tonight and when looking at them in the group they show as a match at 7cM but when I clicked on their profile to message they appear as having no match to my test.

Before anyone asks,I can actually place them in my tree as they are 8 steps from our common ancestor whilst I am 5 thanks to Irish farmers marrying late in life and emigrants to the USA getting married in their twenties.

Bit annoying in one sense when matches with 50cM are a total mystery even with what looks like a pretty good tree (not an inkling and they show as less than 30% Irish although thats a bit gimmicky methinks)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Hi, to those who used ancestry "recently"...
    Curious how long it usually takes from them receiving your sample to having results?
    edit: 10 days after posting i got email that they had received it.

• Advertisement

Curious how long it usually takes from them receiving your sample to having results?

From memory the last one I done was perhaps 3/4 weeks from posting it off until email re. results.That would have been about 18 months ago.

Here's a summary of reports from some customers in 2020 as to how long it's taking to get Ancestry results.
    There doesn't seem to be any abnormal delay due to Corona. The official estimates are 5-8 weeks, but it seems to be less than the 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Here's a summary of reports from some customers in 2020 as to how long it's taking to get Ancestry results.
    There doesn't seem to be any abnormal delay due to Corona. The official estimates are 5-8 weeks, but it seems to be less than the 8.

thanks a lot for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Thanks for that link, I had not come across that site before and will read more of it. Her writing on which is best site for DNA tests for Irish ancestry is very coherent/well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭VirginiaB

I enjoyed that article, very well done. Subscribed to her newsletter. Thanks for the tip.

Mick Tator wrote: »
    Thanks for that link, I had not come across that site before and will read more of it. Her writing on which is best site for DNA tests for Irish ancestry is very coherent/well written.

Thanks for that link.Very good read .Only thing I think she missed was how easy or otherwise shared matching was on different sites.Its a very useful feature at times.
    Also learned I should be on some panel for Irish ethnicity as everyone in my tree back to start of available records is Irish , from within 5 miles or so of where i live on my fathers side and within about the same distance around her birthplace in my mothers case. From adjoining counties and with all surnames apart from one being "Irish " as opposed to "Norman" or "English " etc.
    Reckon thats about 80% plus of Irish population though so probably nothing to boast about!!!.

Leaves most DNA discoveries boring I suppose but at least the family tree part a bit simpler.

Signed up for newsletter as well as its one of the more practical pieces I have seen in a long time.

I'm surprised not to have heard of her before.
    The genetic genealogy community in Ireland is quite small.

Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Has anyone on here found out that their da is not in actual fact their father? I'm sure if someone gave up a child for adoption 20 or more years ago they are waiting for that phonecall.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Regarding that article on best sites for Irish people, does anyone else think that MyHeritage over estimates distant matches. I have over 10,000 matches, most are around 0.20% and are labeled “Low Confidence”.

• Advertisement

Definitely. And the number of centimorgans are higher there for the same match as on other sites. I think they count tiny segments.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement