Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running to work - looking for a small backpack

• 10-06-2019 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all, I want to start running to work in the mornings and looking to get a small backpack that will just be big enough to hold my clothes. Would anyone have suggestions on this? Looking for something small on compact, that obviously will be able to secure well enough that it isn't bouncing around the place! I've never ran with a backpack so something that I won't notice too much would be the job! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

By the sounds of it this might be a bit bigger than you're looking for, but I run with this:

https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/ie_en/momentum-26

It has straps across the stomach and chest to stop it bouncing and a built in waterproof cover.

I know you said you wanted something compact, but I find it useful to have extra space if I need to bring something else in/out of the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Decathlon have a new 15L pack designed for ultra runners but looks good for run commute. Nice and snug looking with good storage. If I do more run commuting would consider this one. Also £50 is decent for what you get and compared to other bags out there.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/15l-ultra-trail-bag-black-id_8488290.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

I recommend the OMM range. Choose the size that fits you. Maybe ultra 15.

https://theomm.com/products/packs/

They are good quality and light. I love my OMM backpack. I got the Ultra 8. So enough for socks, jocks and a towel but you can get bigger packs.

Backpacks fall ino the sunglasses category of being worth spending more money on. I've had mine for 3 years and is in perfect nick despite heavy usage.

sent from my OMM corporate iPhone X.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I bought the Deuter Speed Lite 20l backpack a couple of years ago and I really like it.
    Two minor complaints:
    I have a super-sensitive belly button so I can't use the bottom strap, but I find there's good enough support without it.

In summer when I wear singlet or light running top, I sometimes get chaffing on my right shoulder, though seeing as it only happens on one side it's likely caused by my running gait.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I did running to work a few times using an OMM ultra 12 pack that held enough for me, and stopped getting carried away with stuffing too much in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Mac pac 12hr 7l running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I used the Deuter Speedlite 10L for a couple of months last year, could fit clothes and lunchbox and couple of smaller bits into it no problem. Very comfortable too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I used the Deuter Speedlite 10L for a couple of months last year, could fit clothes and lunchbox and couple of smaller bits into it no problem. Very comfortable too

I also got this as recommended by a friend who also advised if you get any bigger you will only end up filling it with too much.

Like another poster a few times it has ended up hurting my neck so by adjusting the straps and wearing a buff it stops rubbing.

I got a dry bag in great outdoors for when it is really wet to keep all clothes inside dry. My husband got a lovely bag in the Scouts shop that you can add a camelback to. I think the Deuter you can as well. His bag though has an outer reflective thing. I add one of the RSA backpack covers if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

aquinn wrote: »
    I got a dry bag in great outdoors for when it is really wet to keep all clothes inside dry. My husband got a lovely bag in the Scouts shop that you can add a camelback to. I think the Deuter you can as well. His bag though has an outer reflective thing. I add one of the RSA backpack covers if required.

It's a Vango Switchback 15 that I have. It comes with a waterproof / reflective cover that can come in very handy. Pretty much the first thing I did was remove the hydration pack from it, as it's not something I see myself making use of, but overall it's a great backpack.

The Deuter Speed Lite 10l is also a good backpack, which I borrowed on occasion before I got my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 decolts

Hi all, thanks for all your help, and recommendations. I've gone ahead and order the OMM Ultra 15 (https://theomm.com/product/ultra-15/) - hopefully it does the job I need it for!

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Lidl do decent ones for the price on offer, usually about 15 quid. I use mine every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Does Lidl still have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Nope but worth keeping an eye out for offers in Aldi and Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have a rather different take on this, which may or may not be suitable for others.

I have tried out several different backpacks and hated them all. I have come to the conclusion that I hat running with a bag. My solution to this was to cycle into work on Monday morning with 3 days' worth of clothes that I can leave in my locker at work, and cycle in again on Thursday morning with 2 sets of clothes. That way I can still run most days but never have to carry around a bag. I just bring my phone and and my key card when I'm running, and they both fit into my running belt.

Advertisement