Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WRITTEN EXAMINERS 2019

• 27-11-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭

Quick question?

I got an application for the 2019 orals in the post today. Did them in 2018 so that's why I got the application.

So does anyone know when applications for written are available or have I missed it?

I haven't corrected for a few years and at this stage, not so far from retirement,I hugely value a full summer off. But bills have to be paid and this country gets more and more expensive, so I have to give myself the option.

The website tells me nothing so if anyone can give me a heads up,save me ringing them tomorrow,a pretty full on day at school, I'd be grateful.:)

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nothing on the website, which is odd.
    https://www.examinations.ie/recruitment/

I have examined for the past number of years (in a subject stuck for examiners) and haven't heard anything yet.

It used to he the Hallowe'en break they were advertised, but things seem to be later all round now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

acequion wrote: »
    Quick question?

I got an application for the 2019 orals in the post today. Did them in 2018 so that's why I got the application.

So does anyone know when applications for written are available or have I missed it?

I haven't corrected for a few years and at this stage, not so far from retirement,I hugely value a full summer off. But bills have to be paid and this country gets more and more expensive, so I have to give myself the option.

The website tells me nothing so if anyone can give me a heads up,save me ringing them tomorrow,a pretty full on day at school, I'd be grateful.:)

Thanks a lot.

Don’t think they are out yet. Superintending form should be out very soon though! I am not doing it this year!
    LCA tasks/practicals and oral forms are out. Closing date for LCA was friday 23rd. I think they would still take it if you sent it in now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks guys, you've saved me a phone call tomorrow :pac:

No harm getting the applications in and then we can see. If teachers were paid a bit better, the extras wouldn't be necessary. But I'll say no more in case some after hourser comes on and accuses us of handy nixers. If only :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

On a positive note the rates will have gone up....1% oct 18 and 1% jan 19.

No pension levy/additional superannuation charge will be deducted from 1st jan 19
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

The superintendent and examiner renewal forms usually come around this time of year. Saw application forms for all SEC jobs on a staff room notice board last week but like other years send in an application late and you can still get called up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

......and expect a rush of full pensioned money grabbers who have retired, nearly knock you down in the corridoors as they seek out the Principal's signature and the school stamp!!!!!!!!!!!

ethical wrote: »
    ......and expect a rush of full pensioned money grabbers who have retired, nearly knock you down in the corridoors as they seek out the Principal's signature and the school stamp!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen this in two schools, one of which , the principal refused to sign it for me!!(and me the long time sub in the school) but gladly stamped it for a retired person who hadn'teven taught there:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭loveroflight

Originally Posted by ethical View Post
    ......and expect a rush of full pensioned money grabbers who have retired, nearly knock you down in the corridors as they seek out the Principal's signature and the school stamp!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't understand why a principal has the right to refuse to sign your application. However, though I'm not a pensioner! Can you stop with the ageism. Everyone has a right to try earn an extra few bob.

The SEC require a principal of a school to stamp and sign they are permitting you to work as superintendent even though they are not technically your employer in June ( as a sub anyway). The principal of the school I was in was just being awkward , others have been nothing but delighted to sign it so I'd have some work. I was more shocked at her ready to stamp it for an outsider right in front of me !

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭loveroflight

I understand your comment now. I hope you managed to get it signed by another principal.

• Advertisement

A principal of a school I'd never worked in did it for me. No questions asked!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not everyone retired person is on a full pension and with the late stage people are both starting in teaching or getting any sort of decent hours, the full pensioned retired teacher will soon be an endangered species.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Even if they are on full pension, what harm? They’re unlikely to be making a fortune on a pension and they’re entitled to keep doing small bits if they want to. I sure wouldn’t want to be in a classroom past 60 (or even much past 50 - approaching 40 now and I’m feeling pretty jaded) but that doesn’t mean I won’t still need money.

RealJohn wrote: »
    Even if they are on full pension, what harm? They’re unlikely to be making a fortune on a pension and they’re entitled to keep doing small bits if they want to. I sure wouldn’t want to be in a classroom past 60 (or even much past 50 - approaching 40 now and I’m feeling pretty jaded) but that doesn’t mean I won’t still need money.

Totally agree. Saying that pensioners are greedy because they want to make a few bob is like saying that young teachers are greedy because they want pay parity. Everyone is entitled to boost their income if suitably able and qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I just received the record of the "fees" which I was paid by the SEC for examining and superintending in 2018. On the 'Gross' income I paid a tax rate of 54.3% (57.4% when you include the PRSI contribution) and on the 'Gross Taxable' I paid a tax rate of 60.6% (64.1% when you include the PRSI contribution). So, I'm coming home with, at best, 42.6% of the money the SEC officially pays me, or 35.9% of the money the SEC officially pays me. Anybody thinking of working for the SEC should do their sums first.

What exactly accounts for the difference in both rates? I surmise much (all?) of it is a pension contribution but if so, it's likely I'll be paying more tax on that at retirement? Which of these two rates most closely reflects my real tax rate when working for the SEC?

Also, I notice that the PRSI info says my PRSI class is "S1", which this article says is a class for 'Self-employed individuals aged between 16 years & 66 with earnings of €5,000 or more per annum must pay Class S PRSI.' So, it seems that we are blessed to get self-employed status without the benefits of tax dodging that marks that sector (a special 'Hello' to every cash-economy loving tradesman I've ever paid). I've received two offers from the SEC to examine so far, but, really, this financial reality is quite insulting to be euphemistic about it (just for the record, the people in the SEC with whom I worked were lovely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Could you actually contract yourself out to them and give them a quote for how much you'd charge... and you'd be sorting all the tax out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

As a matter of interest, is it possible for a graduate who's not yet a qualified teacher to correct scripts for the SEC? I have a level 8 degree in two curricular subjects and hope to do a PME in the coming few years. Apart from the extra income, it would be useful experience.

jrmb wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, is it possible for a graduate who's not yet a qualified teacher to correct scripts for the SEC? I have a level 8 degree in two curricular subjects and hope to do a PME in the coming few years. Apart from the extra income, it would be useful experience.

Give it a shot. Depends how desperate they are and what subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

Just been appointed by the SEC to correct a subject that requires online correcting! Sounds interesting - has anyone out there any experience of doing this, and if so, how was it please?

They have moved to this in a number of subjects I believe. Does away with all the posting palaver. We had a thread about it before. Let me see can I find it.

**edit**Can't find it, but the online marking gets a mention in this thread.
    Overwhelmingly positive reaction from those who had worked under the old and new systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

What subjects have online correcting now? English, French, ....?

I heard LC Biology was going online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Junior English and science both definitely being corrected online not sure about other subjects.

Is it true for online marking you don't correct complete papers, but rather sets of questions? i.e. correct all the Q1's in one go, then a bunch of Q2's.
    Might mean a lot more borderline grades.... not that markers would ever try and avoid borderline grades of course:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 corkcoco

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Is it true for online marking you don't correct complete papers, but rather sets of questions? i.e. correct all the Q1's in one go, then a bunch of Q2's.
    Might mean a lot more borderline grades.... not that markers would ever try and avoid borderline grades of course:rolleyes:

Yes. They argue that it gives a more accurate grade.

Just been appointed by the SEC to correct a subject that requires online correcting! Sounds interesting - has anyone out there any experience of doing this, and if so, how was it please?

I loved it. 15 days work INLCUDING CONFERENCE, no totals, no post office.

But I know others who hates it. Chief and advising examiners can see exactly when you’re logged in and can track all that information. They can also see how long you spend on each question. Numerous advising examiners moderate your work, when you’re more than two marks out you get locked out of that question, and your advising examiner has to ring to talk you through the issue before they unlock it. But your advising examiner didn’t necessarily moderate it so sometimes they have nothing to say because they agree with you not whoever checked your work. You’re also waiting for your advising examiner to unlock your question, which can be frustrating if you’re waiting for that to finish for the day.

But none of that bothered me much. Probably because I start at 7 am and finish early. Many of those who hated it were people who traditionally marked in the evening or tried to work other jobs. There’s no hiding with online.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I loved it. 15 days work INLCUDING CONFERENCE, no totals, no post office.

But I know others who hates it. Chief and advising examiners can see exactly when you’re logged in and can track all that information. They can also see how long you spend on each question. Numerous advising examiners moderate your work, when you’re more than two marks out you get locked out of that question, and your advising examiner has to ring to talk you through the issue before they unlock it. But your advising examiner didn’t necessarily moderate it so sometimes they have nothing to say because they agree with you not whoever checked your work. You’re also waiting for your advising examiner to unlock your question, which can be frustrating if you’re waiting for that to finish for the day.

But none of that bothered me much. Probably because I start at 7 am and finish early. Many of those who hated it were people who traditionally marked in the evening or tried to work other jobs. There’s no hiding with online.

Interesting.

Do you still get the same number of scripts? Are you correcting fulls scripts question by question, or just way more of certain questions.

How do you 'correct' online? i.e. how do you mark the correct part of the answer?

Interesting.

Do you still get the same number of scripts? Are you correcting fulls scripts question by question, or just way more of certain questions.

How do you 'correct' online? i.e. how do you mark the correct part of the answer?

It was junior cycle so it’s hard to compare to junior cert, but I marked around 600 or so.

It’s the equivalent of full scripts but not necessarily the same students. 60 x Q1, 60 x Q2, etc. until you’ve 60 scripts marked. You clicked into Q1 on the program and mark them. Then onto the next. It’s very easy.

• Advertisement

I marked junior French the first year it was done online. I found it ok enough too but as is always the case, it depends on the advising examiner you get. Mine was dead sound and after the first few hiccups, understood that errors were often down to fatigue and having to mark quickly to reach deadlines, so she would unlock immediately with a quick text which would alert you to the fact that you needed to be more careful. She didn't actually say this but obviously you realised yourself. None of this waiting on a phone call to "resolve the issue." I always worked evenings /nights and that wasn't a problem either.

However, others had less positive experiences as they had pernickity advising examiners which is often meddlesome and annoying. I didn't do it last year because at the last minute French pulled out of the online system and went back to traditional and though I've applied this year I don't think I'll bother. Not getting any younger and appreciate having an entire summer to myself. Plus, gaiscioch's post above about the punitive tax rates certainly puts it in perspective.

If young teachers want /need to do it I'd say fire away. But for the older and ironically more experienced teacher [which is what's needed] there's little incentive.

Advertisement