Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lame. McIlroy is the form golfer, you go ahead and blindly follow bookie odds.
    McIlroy is joint favourite.
    Also it's a major, Koepka is the form golfer.

• eagle eye wrote: »
    McIlroy is joint favourite.
    Also it's a major, Koepka is the form golfer.

He finished 20 shots behind this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Exactly wrote: »
    He finished 20 shots behind this week.

Rory missed the cut last week.

• GreeBo wrote: »
    Rory missed the cut last week.

So we can agree there is no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to Golf.

Exactly wrote:
    Outside of Koepka in majors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Indeed, but you cant discount Koepka's chances because he didnt win yesterday, yet talk up McIlroy but ignore the missed cut under a week ago!

• GreeBo wrote: »
    Indeed, but you cant discount Koepka's chances because he didnt win yesterday, yet talk up McIlroy but ignore the missed cut under a week ago!

I didn't talk up McIlroy, I just pointed out Keopka had a poor tournament from his point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Golf is the most unpredictable major sport in the world , reading anything into the betting odds for it is pointless.

Very rarely do players win 2 weeks in a row on the PGA tour so hopefully for McIlroy's sake he hasn't peaked too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I didn't talk up McIlroy, I just pointed out Keopka had a poor tournament from his point of view.

Keopka is a BIG DAY performer. He has the temperament for the big occasion.
    He doesn’t seem to bother much for the dessert or starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Golf is the most unpredictable major sport in the world , reading anything into the betting odds for it is pointless.

Very rarely do players win 2 weeks in a row on the PGA tour so hopefully for McIlroy's sake he hasn't peaked too early.

The thing is people look at golf odds differently. Rory is 9/1 to win the US open now after last weekend. That equates to a chance of winning 10%. Also Koepka and DJ are similar prices. So roughly speaking 1 of the 3 of them winning it is 30% so less than 1/3 of the time.

Its not like some done deal. Reading into the betting is a pretty good guide as to how the event will unfold.

• Advertisement

Rory is either very good or gone home by day 3. Seems to lose focus at times and a bad putt or two gets to him. I wouldn’t back him in a major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Rory is either very good or gone home by day 3. Seems to lose focus at times and a bad putt or two gets to him. I wouldn’t back him in a major.

There's a few guys on the Rory thread who you'd probably get along with quite well.
    Twelve events, Ten Top 10's, two victories all in the on year.

This narrative that he's gone home by Day 3 is so incredibly wrong and clearly completely unfounded given he's only gone home once this year by Day 3 and bounced back by winning the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Rory has previously won on PGA tour and the following week won a major

Remind me wrote: »
    Rory has previously won on PGA tour and the following week won a major

The last person to do it

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    There's a few guys on the Rory thread who you'd probably get along with quite well.

This narrative that he's gone home by Day 3 is so incredibly wrong and clearly completely unfounded given he's only gone home once this year by Day 3 and bounced back by winning the following week.

Well there’s two majors coming up very soon.
    I’ll readjust my opinion after that if I’m wrong.

Well there’s two majors coming up very soon.
    I’ll readjust my opinion after that if I’m wrong.

I guess he's been very good in 11/12 events this year by your own logic then.

Personally I think that's a stretch but he's been very good in the majority of events.

Please Beware! Having opinions such as those will have you labelled a fanboi though.

I guess he's been very good in 11/12 events this year by your own logic then.

Personally I think that's a stretch but he's been very good in the majority of events.

Please Beware! Having opinions such as those will have you labelled a fanboi though.

Not really as his inconsistency in the majors will show up again soon I believe.

Not really as his inconsistency in the majors will show up again soon I believe.

I'm trying to avoid being pedantic here but it's hard when you claim that McIlroy is either very good or gone home by Day 3.
    If he isn't gone home by Day 3 which has been the case in 11/12 events this year then therefore if we follow your logic, he must have been very good no?
    What am I missing?

2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018

Masters Tournament T20 CUT T15 T40 T25 T8 4 T10 T7 T5

U.S. Open T10 CUT 1 CUT T41 T23 T9 CUT CUT CUT

The Open Champion T42LA T47 T3 T25 T60 CUT 1 T5 T4 T2

PGA Championship T3 T3 T64 1 T8 1 17 CUT T22 T50

He looks pretty consistent in the Open since his victory and in The Masters since 2014, well up until tis year.
    Pretty decent in the PGA too, US Open leaves alot to be desired though.

Highlighted the parts to suit my narrative.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wow, 10yrs playing the majors, doesn't time fly

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Have had this argument with many people and there is no doubt, as Rory has said himself, he has underachieved in the majors but still has 4.

Surely every player is inconsistent in majors (except for Koepka in current major form)

If you take the worlds top 15 at the moment haven’t they all underachieved?

The worlds current top 15 are all on tour a good few years and taking Brooks, Tiger and Rory out of it have a total of 4 majors between them.

Rory has that himself.

• Advertisement

Remind me wrote: »
    Have had this argument with many people and there is no doubt, as Rory has said himself, he has underachieved in the majors but still has 4.

Surely every player is inconsistent in majors (except for Koepka in current major form)

If you take the worlds top 15 at the moment haven’t they all underachieved?

The worlds current top 15 are all on tour a good few years and taking Brooks, Tiger and Rory out of it have a total of 4 majors between them.

Rory has that himself.

I know all that.
    No major since 2014 though and melted when Patrick Reed came at him in the Masters. Not looking good for number 5 at all imo. I wouldn’t bet on Rory tbh.

I know all that.
    No major since 2014 though and melted when Patrick Reed came at him in the Masters. Not looking good for number 5 at all imo. I wouldn’t bet on Rory tbh.

Little evidence of not looking good but lots of evidence of looking good.
    Comfortably gets another few based on current form maybe not next week but looks like a matter of time based on the evidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Graeme McDowell still has the most annoying accent in golf. In saying that I am delighted he has qualified for the Open in Portrush.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

McIlroy hasn't the best track record in the US open. Hard to look past Brooks again, he's the man for the majors. Spieth has been playing well recently also and could compete. DJ is due a good week and right now he'd be my pick.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Graeme McDowell still has the most annoying accent in golf. In saying that I am delighted he has qualified for the Open in Portrush.

That is all.

It's unbelievably bad and it clearly is 100% put on and not a naturally occurring accent from having spent years living in america.

Seems sound enough part from that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ah don't mind him, he's upset.

Rory building nicely into form, should be a good chance of a medal when the Olympics comes round, lives in the top 10 these days :)

fullstop wrote: »
    Ah don't mind him, he's upset.

Rory building nicely into form, should be a good chance of a medal when the Olympics comes round, lives in the top 10 these days :)

Ha ha won’t happen. I think he’s out with Patrick Reed. Nervous wreck time.

Ha ha won’t happen. I think he’s out with Patrick Reed. Nervous wreck time.

i hope you realise how utterly ridiculous you sound

i hope you realise how utterly ridiculous you sound
    You all sound ridiculous tbh. Very childish stuff.
    I'll be shouting for Rory but my money will be on Brooks.
    Rory looked great earlier in the season but didn't produce at the Masters or the PGA. The extra wedge in his bag certainly helped this past week but now we have to find out if the improvement continues or it was just that he tricked himself into playing better.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    You all sound ridiculous tbh. Very childish stuff.

Dont know why you lumped me in with that tbh, the poster above was being ridiculous trying to make out playing with Reed would effect him, that is hardly childish or ridiculous.

I havent commented on anything else, i only come here to get reasoned discussions on golf but the absolute nonsensical comments that the posters that post them and probably dont even believe themselves are annoying at times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement